Sodium.

Options
I recently played around with the settings on my food diary, and found everything I eat is LOADED with sodium, especially all the quick and easy lunches I tend to make. I knew this before, but never realized exactly how much I put into my body in a day.

How are you keeping your sodium intake at a healthy limit?

Replies

• cmacp
    cmacp Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good question - I would like to know what the deal is with sodium too. I think, although someone will have to elaborate, it has something to do with retaining water and, if relative to salt intake, can cause high blood pressure in the long term...

Everything I eat also has sodium in it... I know you can buy low-sodium foods in the US, but to be honest, here in the UK, there doesn't seem to be a big market for those kinds of products yet, so you don't really see them... thats not to say they don't exist but I guess you have to really look for it, and probably pay extra for it too.

So in short, at the moment, I do not really take that into account.
  • buttercupke
    Options
    I have this same problem. Alot of the frozen dinners from Weight Watchers, Healthy Choice, etc are loaded in sodium. However, I live alone and its hard to cook for one. So I am interested in what everyone else has to say on this topic too.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    #1 Don't eat prepared (processed) food!!!! Very important for your health and sodium levels. Take the time on Sundays (or whatever your "usual" day off is) to do some cooking and portion out some items you use throughout the week.

#2 Read labels! If you can't pronounce some of the ingredients then DON'T eat it!

Takes a bit of planning and a few hours on the weekend but it is SO worth it to eat "clean". If you don't make it you just don't know what is in it!
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    I cook everything pretty much from scratch..it takes some work to keep the sodium down but it gets easier! Also right at first things might taste a little bland..but after a week or 2 it's all fine. if i'm making something with cheese in it i don't salt the other ingredients etc. canned goods are terrible with sodium ie: tomatos and prepared sauces. I have set my sodium levels in mfp at 1800 and try to stay event below that. also drink about 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water everyday, that helps with less retension. I lowered all of this for my hubbys blood pressure and it's working out good. I now find that outside foods taste too salty to me.
    My diary is open and tho I'm not a perfect eater you can get an idea of the sodium in things I use. good luck
  • angiereid
    angiereid Posts: 158
    Options
    i have cut back my sodium by eating amish chicken as it is fresh and not injected with the sodium broth like tyson, i believe it has a like 63mg sodium but compared to tyson sodium of 230 for 3-4 0z thats better, i have managed to stay under my sodium most times, its the sugar i always go over, i try to stick to fruits but even with that i go over. watch your tuna even know good for you it has a lot as well as cottage cheese and regular cheeses. swiss is probably the lowest in sodium i use kraft. beware of chik-fil-a grilled chicken i eat but it is loaded with salt, same with subway and other places they have to keep the chicken moist so the salt keeps it moist and flavorful, kentucky fried chicken is high in salt too even the grilled. eat fresh veggies ones from a can are loaded with salt too
  • Keisha79
    Keisha79 Posts: 63
    Options
    I have the IPHONE version of myfitnesspal and tells me when I'm in the red. I agree SODIUM is a killer (literally). I been trying to watch all those things I find unimportant.
  • pbxr
    pbxr Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yay! I'm glad to see a post about this. Just like the original poster, I couldn't BELIEVE the amount of sodium I was getting in my regular diet ~ even when I started trying to eat "healthier" foods, I was dumbfounded by the hidden sodium in most food.

Like lutzsher, I have eliminated quite a bit of the prepared foods I had been eating; but if you don't see yourself cooking on the weekends (yet!) to prepare for your week, here's a tip I was given: Find a flatbread or pita that you like (these tend to be better/healthier than even the "healthiest" tortillas), buy a bag of spinach or mixed greens (yes, you can start with the things that will make your hectic life easier), and make a veggie wrap to go ~ add some cucumbers or peppers, shredded carrots. Whatever is easy for you. In trying to eat less processed meats (which are loaded with sodium), I have found the joy of making bean spreads. My first simple one? Mix equal portions of your favorite low-sodium salsa (maybe a relative's homemade salsa?) with reduced sodium black beans in a food chopper/processor or just mix them by hand if you don't have a processor. I've made some wonderful spreads with reduced sodium kidney beans, black beans, and chick peas. I spread them on a flatbread, add in some green leafys, and I have a yummy, healthy, EASY lunch.

Another thing we've done at our house is try to find lower-sodium options in the processed foods we still buy. The cheese we'd eaten for YEARS was unbelievably packed with added salt, as was our favorite bread. I was so SAD! Still, we went on the search for lower sodium options. It was a worthy venture, as we found many of our favorite brands offer "heart healthy" varieties ~ this typically means they've simply lowered the sodium. For example, I'm not quite to the place that I'm making my own pasta sauce (I'm still a bit intimidated in the kitchen), so we switched to Prego's heart healthy sauce, which has a fraction of the sodium our previous sauce did.

Even when we aren't ready to throw out all the old as we transition to the new, there are things we can do to get on a better path. For me, it's been a gradual shift ~ because of the time I've had to explore, I'm gaining confidence in the kitchen and am now willing to attempt things I never did before (like making my own tahini & hummus!).

Keep your eyes open & keep up the good fight! :happy:
  • peanut1967
    peanut1967 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I cook most things from scratch and buy very little preprocessed food (never buy ready-to-serve-meals), no soda drinks, no highly processed breakfast cereals (only oatmeal, sorghum flakes and so on or whole grains that I grind myself). This way I find it difficult to get anywhere near the MFP sodium limit.

EDIT: ok, I hardly ever eat sausauge, salami and so on, that makes it easier. I used to eat a lot of cheese which has a lot of sodium but reduced that since I'm trying to lose weight.

Interesting fact: reducing sodium means reducing cellulite as well! :smile:
  • dale49
    dale49 Posts: 37
    Options
    A healthy sodium intake is 1,500 mg daily for people aged 9 to 50. I plan my meals ahead of time and enter it at MFP. That way I know ahead of time if I'm off track in any category and change it BEFORE I eat it. Hope that helps.