I could really use some help/motivation/tips.

Options
Hey all,

Im 24 , 5'7 & 220 lbs. I want to lose 60-70lbs but am struggling horribly. I have been overweight my whole life but am FED up with being miserable. I have such an unhealthy relationship with food. I've had a rough life & always used it for comfort & continue to eat junk when i KNOW not to. I always start a diet & promise myself Im going to keep on & stick with it but it never fails, within about 4 days, I give in. I struggle with self worth issues & just need to get my act together. I guess Im just overwhelmed by the amount I have to lose & my goal seems unreachable because Ive never been successful & dont even know what it's like to be thin. Its like i cant even picture myself skinny. If ANYONE has tips, or just wants to be a friend or motivator- I would so greatly appreciate it. God bless!

xx
Kristina.

Replies

• HealthyLeeLee
    HealthyLeeLee Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Have you considered counseling or Overeaters Anonymous? I think figuring out why you're using food to cope and learning to turn toward healthier ways of comforting yourself is going to be your first step. MFP is a great way to get friends who will motivate and encourage you along the way. Feel free to add me :)
  • pjsdj
    pjsdj Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Well this probably isn't the ultimate solution because at some point ya gotta deal with whats causing you to eat. However in my case it's nothing other than a LOVE of food. I guess it can be emotional at times but I pretty much think always is a good time to over eat. I'm just starting out but what has really helped me this time is not changing everything all crazy. I've found a bbq sauce I love like I'd eat even if I was thin and I put it on veggie sandwiches instead of doing pb&j and that saves me 200 cal....I make the no butter popcorn but spray some I can't believe it's not butter spray ona dn douse it in kyan pepper and love it!! It seems like the magic solution is small doable changes. In the past I go wild and I'm eating 1000 cal a day and working out 5 days a week and cut out all soda sugar and carbs and I'm miserable. I'm trying to eat what I like but less. Move a little more but not killing it so I'm unable to attain it. I'm giving it a solid 12 weeks and ill see if it works. I've heard it takes like 6 weeks to really start a diet change...10 weeks for you to notice a differance and 12 or 13 for other people so I'd say just make changes you feel you candor now even if you don't lose your on the right track to lose
  • mothib79
    mothib79 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey, Totally have the same issues. You need lots of support. Tell everyone your goals and its best to set small goals so you don't get too overwhelmed. I am now 115 lbs lighter than my heaviest and still overeat when I get emotional but working on it every day and getting better. The thing is to catch yourself before you do it or really figure out what is making you eat. Find another past time or if you want to eat, go workout instead. :)
  • greenmm1980
    greenmm1980 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Wake up everyday and tell yourself you are FABULOUS!!! When someone asks you how you are doing respond with fabulous. Pretty soon you will feel as fabulous as you really are. Dont think of a healthly lifestyle change as a diet. Just like most other 4 letter words, diet is a bad word. Set small goals for yourself and soon those goals will add up. Take one day at a time and one good decision at a time. Don't give food control over your life. Eat to live, dont live to eat. You can reach your goals!!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Hi Xtina,

Sorry for your struggles. I feel your pain.

For me, starting small helped. Way back when I started to change my life, I did small things like only having one plateful of food at a meal (I'd pile it as high as I could...but I'd only have that one plate...haha). When I started MFP, I started logging...though I didn't really focus on manipulating/limiting my intake in any way at first; instead, I was more focused on building the habit of logging. As I logged consistently and saw the numbers on the screen, I started altering my food choice (though not necessarily volume) in order to lower the amount of total calories consumed (e.g., I'd eat chicken breast instead of chicken thigh to slightly reduce the calorie count, etc.).

Anyway, the point is that for me, moving slowly but surely (kind of like the turtle in the Tortoise and the Hare story) was helpful to me for acquiring habits that would carry me through the long term. It might work for you.

Also, to avoid focusing too much on results instead of on the process, I only weighed in (and still only weigh in) once a month. The point of that was, again, to focus on building good, consistent habits. I did that because I figured sound habits ought to yield good results.

Whatever you end up doing, good luck to you! This game can be a fun one! :)
  • ChristianaFlatt
    ChristianaFlatt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey there Kristin, My name is Christiana and if you want to add me we can chat as I had the same problem you are currently facing. I was 380 pounds when I started MFP and therapy and now I am 227 pounds with 87 to go and still in therapy and so much happier. For me the food was comfortable, and never rejected me and was always there for me, that is why I ate all the wrong stuff all the time. When I found MFP I was still eating all the wrong stuff but this time I was writing it all down and was like "this is nuts, look at the empty calories" I started doing other things when I needed comfort. I bought a stepping board, like in aerobics and I would listen to music that got me all fired up and I would work out stress and frustration through exercise instead of eating. Sometimes I would watch t.v. and step just to keep my mind off of food :) I am not saying it will work every time because I do back slide sometimes depending on my day, but I do everything possible not to. I realized through therapy that I had just gotten so comfortable even though I didn't know it with the way I was and how my like was going, that I was sorta afraid to change it so I was self sabotaging. After meeting my husband we decided to get rid of everything "junk foodie" from our house and start fresh. We were married almost a month ago now and I am proud to say I have not had any soda, chips or take out and I feel so so much better. Drink Green Tea, hot, it is very good for you and it is nice to sit and read and have a warm drink and not think about food. Mainly we just need to stay busy and if the junk isn't in your house, you can't eat it. If you want to talk, add me and we can work together to feel better :) All the best to you, You can do this!! Good Luck.
  • xtiina23
    xtiina23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding guys! Yall are awesome. :)
  • DragonSpark
    Options
    Emotionally I'm in the same boat as you. Last year I went from 189 lbs to 157 lbs, hit a rough patch emotionally (a few months of depression) and got back up to 181 lbs. Food is my comforter. I've been trying new ways of dealing with stress, but with two small children it's easier to grab a snack than it is to find someplace quiet to chill. As of now I'm back in the 170s and have been bouncing between 170 and 178 for about 3 months. It has helped me mentally to set small 5 lb goals instead of my overall 35 lb goal. For me it's a lot better to see 1 lb down 4 to go instead of 1 down 34 to go. I've lost 3 lbs since doing that and instead of beating myself up for ONLY losing 3 lbs out of 35 I'm ecstatic that I passed my first goal (175 lbs). I'm now working towards my next milestone of 170 lbs. =)
  • xtiina23
    xtiina23 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! I will definitely try the small goal thing. 60-70 seems unrealistic! I appreciate it! :) stay strong!
  • girldaisy13
    Options
    Hang in there, put all your energy into thinking, " I can do this, it will take time, I have to believe in myself." And before you know it your pounds will melt off. Any time you need encouragement, or someone to turn to, just add me to your list of friends and I am there. Baby steps, Baby steps.