Nights out and alcohol!

Options

Replies

• Amyp7777
    Amyp7777 Posts: 79
    Options
    Since this is something you don't do often at all, I would not worry about the calories too much. I would pre-log in a few drinks first, and if you can, log in everything you drink that night. One night is not going to cause a big weight gain, but it would be helpful to know just how many calories you did take in. Then you can do a little extra exercise to help make up for it. Have fun and be safe!
  • NadineSabbagh
    NadineSabbagh Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Only having a few drinks isn't really an option for me

Probably want to deal with this issue. More important than calories.

I mean on 'big' nights out when everyone is drinking, dancing etc. I'm perfectly ok with only having a few drinks if I'm just out for a social lunchtime thing, and I'm fine with drinking nothing at all. It's purely on these nights out that I feel uncomfortable if I've only had a few drinks.

You feeling uncomfortable is your issue, seek help addressing your inability to control yourself with alcohol

Oh wow, I'm just going to ignore this thread now.

The insinuation that I am somewhat of an alcoholic, an irresponsible child or even in any way morally reprehensible is utterly ridiculous.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not enjoying being around drunk people when you are not participating. I'm not going to apologise or be berated for having one night out in 5 months where I drink a little more than what you people deem acceptable.

The first person who had an issue with my post made their point. Then a bunch of you made the same point, only rephrasing it. I'm pretty sure I understood the general consensus the first time... and I even went as far as to agree with you. So quit with the repetitiveness, it's getting tedious...

This place is a joke...
  • catlub
    catlub Posts: 10
    Options
    I would not worry about it. Having a good night out with drinks every once in awhile will not completely sabotage your weight loss. Think about it as celebrating your hard work from the previous weeks.

Recently, I have been drinking quite a bit, 2-3 times a week, haha. I've been slowly losing weight, but definitely need to limit my drinking. I often find myself dancing for hours which in turn makes me worry less about how many calories I had consumed due to the vigorous exercise.

As for the number of drinks consumed; Just take it slow, wait in between drinks after the first three or four. Since it has been awhile, your tolerance might have changed.
    I've had nights in the past where I have consumed around 9-11 shots, and I've never been an alcoholic, I just had a very high tolerance. I wouldn't worry about what other people say here. As long as you have very close and reliable friends with you, have some fun, but be safe about it.
  • totem12
    totem12 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Some people are odd about alcohol and it can be amusing - from what you've described, you sound entirely normal to me!
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    If you only do it on occasion (im talking once a month or less) it isn't going to have a drastic impact.

If you're planning on quite a few drinks that night, adjust calories accordingly and stick to lower cal options.
    avoid things like long islands, jack and cokes, etc.

I prefer drinking shots or whiskey on the rocks. But at one point I was drinking beer 2-3 times per week and still making progress, just adjust your calories.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    go out and have fun....(although 19 drinks is kind of a lot?????)
    vodka is my friend. why not take the 'on the go' packs of crystal light and ask for a shot of vodka plus a glass of water - add the crystal light then add the vodka and voila - instant semi healthy drink????
    (edited for spelling)
    [/quote]

OMG - I thought i was the only one who did that!!! it soo sinful!!!!
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The best thing I found when cutting out alcohol for a couple months was that I only needed 3-4 drinks to get drunk compared to 7-8. Less calories and money! You'll probably find you need less to get drunk too. And now I drink vodka waters. Actually tasting the vodka causes me to drink slower and the only calories I'm getting is from the vodka.
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I have just started my second major weight loss adventure (two weeks in at this point) and I have been reading through the boards all week for tips and motivation. I'm finally de-lurking after reading through the first page of this thread because I am a bit shocked at the way some people are responding to this.

1. Given how supportive I've seen people on mfp be about all manner of other personal problems, which have been both within and out of the person's control, I am very surprised to see so many people immediately respond with harsh "you clearly have a problem and need to get it taken care of" comments without any consideration for the OP's background or feelings. I thought you guys were better than that.

2. In case you hadn't noticed the OP's ticker, she believes she has over 100 lbs to lose. Even newbie drinkers know that weight (among other things that you might not be considering) is a major factor in tolerance levels. Play around with a blood alcohol content calculator and see the difference in BAC between a 230 lb female and a 120 lb female keeping all other factors the same.

3. 19 shots of vodka may or may not be an exaggeration, but I can attest to a similar experience. When I was a freshman in college and just beginning to drink (also 50 lbs smaller), a six pack of bud light over a couple hours would have me done for the evening. A few years and a lot of practice later, I can now go through a case (24) of the same thing in 5 or 6 hours and never reach a state of drunkenness past a good buzz. I'm not proud of this fact, and this is actually one of the big reasons I have decided to make changes, but the fact remains that it is possible for someone to drink a lot more than others and not die of alcohol poisoning.

As for you Ms. Nadine, it appears that unfortunately not everyone here has learned that everyone is different. I don't understand how people who post about hating the fact that they get judged now for their food/exercise/lifestyle choices think it is okay to turn around and do the same thing to someone else just because that person isn't afraid to be honest about their own choices. Do your thing girl. And to answer your ORIGINAL question, just do what you feel best about doing. The only way that letting loose for one night is going to derail you is if you use it as an excuse to quit taking care of yourself the other 99% of the time. I believe it has previously been stated on this thread that you're not going to be able to drink enough to put back on actual pounds in one night. Just decide which outweighs the other: the desire to drink x amount and have x amount of fun, or the desire to not feel guilt about doing so. Make a decision, do your thing, and move on.
  • iarelarry
    iarelarry Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I shout "YOLO" as I chug.

tumblr_m08s0fYjFb1r0l5jyo1_500_zps0eacb6fd.gif
  • jennibear8504
    Options
    Im new at this but I think there's a couple of options.... adjust calories is you want, gym it, or limit your drinks... I on the other hand have decide I get a cheat day once a week for whatever I want (alcohol or food) and I get a HUGE cheat day once a month... normally on my cheat day I'll make sure I make up for it by working out or adjusting calories...

"19" drinks to me for a college student on a big weekend out, doesnt sound so horrible (kinda sounds a bit normal)... I mean it happens.... Back in the day I know I had done it a couple of times (and paid for it later of course) and its one of those live and learn times in life... thats what I think at least...
  • ChristinaSabbagh1
    ChristinaSabbagh1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Only having a few drinks isn't really an option for me

Probably want to deal with this issue. More important than calories.

I mean on 'big' nights out when everyone is drinking, dancing etc. I'm perfectly ok with only having a few drinks if I'm just out for a social lunchtime thing, and I'm fine with drinking nothing at all. It's purely on these nights out that I feel uncomfortable if I've only had a few drinks.

You feeling uncomfortable is your issue, seek help addressing your inability to control yourself with alcohol

You being a tw*t is your issue, seek help addressing being a d*ckhead.

ONLY JOKING, I'm only feigning concern for your wellbeing in order to boost my ego, as putting people down for no reason often does!

Disclaimer: This post may contain a facetious paragraph.
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    If I know I am going to do a "big night out" (regardless of if that includes drinks) I make sure to get my butt to the gym that morning and do a big workout. I usually make sure I do at least an hour in the gym to give myself some slack. Sometimes I still go over, but you only live once. If you aren't doing this every week then don't worry about it. Have some fun and relax.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be have a kick *kitten* workout that day - GO HARD! - then eat! If you are planning to have a large amount of alcohol you really need to make sure you have food in your system. It is one day! It will not end your journey! Just go out, have fun! You will likely be a hell of a lot sicker if you starve all day, and then binge on drinks. Get your extra calories from your workout - enjoy your party night - and then get back on track the next day. This is life - your life! Make it work for you! PS - be safe! ;)
  • nschweiker
    nschweiker Posts: 19
    Options
    Do not do any girly shots. I went out the other night and got some red-headed sluts and was surprised that they were over 200 calories a shot. Maybe just cut the shots in general, that should save you some serious calories.

Try and drink mixed drinks. I suggest captain and diet coke. Avoid mixing with juice, especially cranberry. Maybe try and drink one drink for every two you usually get? I used to drink a lot in one sitting too, it is hard limiting when you're used to binge drinking.

Also when I know I'm going out, I try to eat lighter during the day. But also I read that a cheat day can help boost your metabolism as long as it's once in a while. I wouldn't over stress it.

Good luck girl!
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This might be an unpopular opinion, but if you're saying 20+ shots are a possibility, I'd suggest switching to beer. Its more calories per drink, but you'll have to drink far fewer. Beer is sort of self limiting. When people say its liquid bread, they aren't joking. Its filling. Of course, that assumes you aren't a puke and rally kind of person. If you are, take cash. Once you're out of money, you're done drinking. If your friends can't help you out with this, get new friends. Or don't go out with the ones you have.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    I don't know. As one of my last nights out before I move out of state, I'm going drinking tonight with a friend. I'm just not going to track.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    ultimately, drink be merry and enjoy :) i can happily down a bottle of vodka and diet cola in a night, having a party with the girls. I cut down before and after to compensate and drink water after each alcoholic drink :)
  • xoxdollyxox
    xoxdollyxox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As long as it's not a every weekend thing, go out, have fun and drink up! I find it hard to stick to watching my calories after a few drinks because the more drinks I have the less I care about my weight loss.. but I get back onto the train the next day and most of the time it doesn't effect my weight loss for the week.

This isn't a "Diet" it's a lifestyle change... We need to let our hair down sometimes. What I think to myself this is a FOREVER thing and at this point of my life I don't want to give up having a few drinks every now and then. So when I do have them I never feel bad for doing so!
  • LyndsieLovejoyyy
    Options
    this is a problem i have 2 times a week (my nights off) and i'm a beer drinker so the calories really add up! i just try to eat less and then get drunk faster with less alcohol on an empty stomach
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    while one shot of liquor has about 100 calories, 15 shots of liquor only has a few hundred, trust me on this one.

(you'll throw them up :p )