SCARED ME!!

Options
Peachy1962
Peachy1962 Posts: 269 Member
I went into the database and started looking up some of the old fast food choices that I and my sister had been making over the last year!!

SAY WAT??

You would not think that these foods were so full of sodium and fat by just tasting them!! Now you know salt is on french fries yes that is a given but some of the picks I had made was diffently the WRONG ones!!! I think I need to start being more prepared and pack my lil cooler with water and snacks and a low calorie lunch and just past up all the yellow arches and lil red headed girls on the sign and call it a Good Day!! :bigsmile:

I am gonna keep on looking and see what might be some good options and this topic has probably been done a thousand times before but I am a newbie so bare with me!!! Any suggestions ya might think is helpful??

Sharon xxx

Replies

• rgrin
    rgrin Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If I MUST fast food, I stick with a salad, no croutons, no dressing, and an extra serving of grilled meat. Even that is loaded with sodium, but it's the best option I have found for me. Good luck.
  • AdriSaysRelax
    Options
    Yea, fast food really IS scary! I think packing healthy snacks is a GREAT idea. I'd limit fruit, unless you're eating it with a protein. Like, an apple or banana with some peanut butter to keep your blood sugar from spiking. Cheese sticks are AWESOME. You can pack sammiches or that smoked sausage that's ready to eat, comes in the red tube. Can't remember what it's called. Even protein drink mix you can throw into a bottled water and shake up. They're super filling. I add mine to strawberry flavored water and it's like a chocolate strawberry shake, but only 110 calories. SOLID WIN. :D
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I find that I can still make my fast food fit in if I keep the portions tiny...like a kid's meal with a diet soda. A small burger and kids size fry comes in around 450 cals, so it doesn't ruin my day but I still get to taste the yumminess. :)
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'll add some of my favorite go-to choices and their cals:

McD's Hamburger 250 cals
    Burger King Hamburger 240 cals
    Burger King Value Size Onion Ring (smaller than a small...probably about 8 rings) 150 cals
    Taco Bell Beef Crunchy Taco 170 cals
    Taco Bell Beef Fresco Crunchy Taco 150 cals
    Chick Fil A Classic Chicken Sandwich (give or take) 450 cals
    Wendy's Jr. Hamurger 250 cals
    Wendy's Value Size Fry 220 cals

So it's pretty easy to build a meal and make it work. It's really the sodium that is such a killer in these items.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are right; if you must fast food, it pays to look it up BEFORE you go. Also, realize the nutritional value will be minimum due to the processed nature and many times the folks preparing these things are about 400 lbs themselves and prepare them the way they would like them.. extra mayo and plenty of fat. That being said, there are some choices that are better than others and as a person who has to eat out quite a bit due to my job and schedule, there are ways to lose weight and eat fast food... just have to be smart about what to eat.
  • judtod
    judtod Posts: 85
    Options
    I find that even when you can get a calorie count that works the food is so insubstantial that I don't stay satisfied. If I am on the road I prefer to pack my meal, look for a healthier place like Panera or just buy some cheese, crackers, fruit and nuts.