Best cereals to eat on a diet?

Options

Replies

• peacelovechocolate
    peacelovechocolate Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Kashi warm hearts honey cereal! Keeps me full. I add in about a half a banana though.
  • talisamb
    talisamb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Kashi Go lean. It has a good amount of protein and fiber, sugar content is also low
  • Mrsshellers
    Mrsshellers Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Cornflakes with ice cold milk, rice krispies, weetabix or porridge
  • Jormesher
    Jormesher Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Mix 1/2 cup of Nature's path organic smart bran with 1/2 cup of their Sunrise cereal (vanilla or maple). Add berries and/or greek yogurt. Yum!

Approximately 220 calories, 15 grams of fiber, low fat and sugar. It will definitely hold you until lunch!
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    To me, Kashi Go Lean original, tasted like some kind of dog kibble. Didn't like it at all.. all premade flavorless puffy things.

Cheerios are good, high fiber, lower calories.. the are premade puffy things too.. but have a good taste.

Fiber One Honey Clusters is REALLY good! It is higher calories, 160 in a cup. But it also had 13g of fiber.

Special K vanilla almond was really good... I was using half almond milk, half 2% milk and the almond milk really added flavor to it.
  • jjenks3
    jjenks3 Posts: 45
    Options
    I usually eat Life cereal or Frosted Miniwheats. Cereal isn't AMAZING for you in any form, except maybe fiber one, but those two are good enough to pass. My breakfast 5 days a week includes 2 servings, 1 1/2 cup, of life cereal, and 1 cup of almond milk. 300 calories. Not bad.
  • Annluvsjerry
    Annluvsjerry Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love the Kashi Berry Crunch...add blueberries or more fruit and it's awesome.
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Trader Joes has several cereals that are low calories and taste good. My favorite one, and the only oine I can recall by its actual name at the moment, is High Fiber Fruit and Nut Medley. It is only 135 calories for a full cup ( most cereals are like 90-160 for only a half cup). It tastes yummy to me, its very filling because of the fiber, and the fruit and nuts give it some added texture. I only use skim milk so at most that is 55 calories. The whole breakfast is 190 calories.

I tend to avoid most other cereals because they serving sizes are so small, the nutritional content sucks, and the calories just dont make it worth consuming.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Two of my favorites are Multi Grain Cheerios and Special K with Red Berries. 110 calories per cup (even though I typically eat a bit more than that!). You don't really have to change what you eat while "on a diet", you have to find foods that work for you - fill you up, meet your macros, and that you enjoy.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What are the best cereals to eat on a diet that actually taste good?

As a general rule, I look for at least a 1:10 ratio of fiber to total carbs. The higher the fiber side, the better. Anything less usually means too much added sugar.
  • abbylg1983
    abbylg1983 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I love cereal. I'll eat almost any kind. That being said, I find that most pack quite the caloric punch, even the "healthy" ones. If your goal is minimize calories, I'd skip cereal altogether. Most nutrition labels are for 3/4 cup, and some are only 1/2 a cup. Who eats half a cup of cereal? Would that even fill the bottom layer of the bowl? Cheerios and Rice Krispies are the lowest calorie of the traditional cereals I've found, at 100 calories a cup. However, you don't get much in the way of nutrients. Kashi Go Lean is 140 calories per cup, but you get like, 13 g of protein and 10 g of fiber, which is pretty good for 140 calories. If you can keep it to a cup, and that fills you up, I'd say that's a pretty good deal. My problem always was, it didn't fill me up, and I needed 2-3 cups. You add milk, and now you're sitting at 400-500 calories. That's not the end of the world if you're active and expect to consume 500 calories per meal, but if you're trying to keep it at 1,200, that's a pretty big bite out of your day. And you can make that work for you, depending on your eating patterns. For me though, I tend to treat cereal like ice cream- something to be eaten in moderation, to supplement a meal.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Not a huge cereal eater..

but..

i like cascadian farms organic dark chocolate almond granola and cascadian farms organic wheat squares. I also eat steel cut or rolled oats occasionally.

I also like great grains.. but i don't really eat it anymore..
  • Rosiemac2
    Rosiemac2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like Grape Nuts original...I have 1/2 cup with low gat milk and 1/2 fruit......The 1/2 cup is only 200 calories and I don't believe they add sugar...I put it in a coffee cup verses a bowl and it is actually quite filling. You will be amazed how many cereals add sugar...(also known by other names so look) I add stevia for sweetness....I also like McCann's oatmeal....it only has one ingredient oatmeal:) Takes soem time ot make but fills you up and is very healhy. Some cereals are just like candy....
  • XxmeetmydedicationxX
    Options
    If you're looking for simply a "low cal" option, go for the Special K cereals. The blueberry flavor only has 100 cals per 3/4 cup serving which is pretty good calorie bang for your buck :smile: They have other flavors too like Strawberry and Vanilla Almond which are just as tasty and I think they're around 110 cals per 3/4 cup!

If you're looking for an option that will keep you fuller longer & has more protein/fibre than Special K, definitely check out the Kashi Original Go Lean cereal. It's got 13g of protein in a cup which is awesome!! :happy: :happy:
    It comes in at 200 cal for a cup, which is higher than Special K, but IMO it's worth it for the extra protein and fibre (as well as less sugar).. I like to add Splenda and sprinkle cinnamon on top! SOOOO delicious!
  • GormanGhaste
    GormanGhaste Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I eat Uncle Sam's cereal for breakfast every day. I love the taste, and it's one of the least processed cereals out there.

But I eat even the 'junkiest' cereals--they make great desserts!
  • MallorieGreiner
    MallorieGreiner Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Special K Red Berries is my current addiction. One cup is only 110 calories. I add a cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk for 30 calories. Easy, yummy, and low in calories.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i used to limit myself to only special k (which is delicious btw) but i've realized that almost every cereal box is the same, i don't really mind some extra sugar so i just go for whatever i desire, corn pops, cheerios, whatever. although i do usually eat my cereal dry, kind of as a treat.
  • nancyalexand
    nancyalexand Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eat Special K Strawberry
  • MadMonsterMom
    MadMonsterMom Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like Fiber One Honey Clusters. But sometimes I fit in Oops All Berries or Cocoa Puffs ;)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Rolled oats (real oatmeal, not the instant one). It keeps you full for a while. I dice one apple in mine + cinnamon + water = deliciousness!!!!

yah! high 5 for the oats!

I have porridge with berries and sweetener.

OATS / PORRIDGE is literally the best breakfast ever. also its got 7-8g of protein! keeps you full and satisfied forever.

IM GONNA GO HAVE SOME NOW!!