Best way for a female to build muslce

Options
What's the best way for a woman to build muscle? I don't want to look like a body builder, just gain enough to replace what I've lost with age and to speed up my metabolism. The only strength training I'm doing currently is Power 90, using 8-12 lbs. I know it's not much but I just started a few weeks ago. I am seeing progress...I started out using 5 lbs. and could barely do any push-ups and I can do over 50. Where should I go from here to see results?

Replies

• mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Go here and let them know what you want. They will set you up with everything you need from a good program to calories and macros.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Women don't bulk up without adding testosterone supplements, insane workout schedules and favorable genetics so you don't have to worry about bulking up. I've had my best & quickest results doing ChaLean Extreme - heavier weights, less reps. The classes add movement to the lifting so there is a decent cardio aspect to it as well. I know several other women doing the same program or using heavier weighrs that are getting toned, lean arms, backs & legs too!

Good luck!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Heavy freeweight barbell training.

The best place for you to start is Stronglifts. I suggest you pick up a copy of Starting Strength and get reading on how to learn the big lifts.
  • hybridscientist
    hybridscientist Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I like the strong lift 5x5 program. Like someone mentioned it's VERY difficult for women to put on muscle so don't go thinking you'll look huge anytime soon!

There's also a book called 'Lift like a man, look like a godess'. That is an interesting read
  • christianteach
    christianteach Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Normally I would to pick up a good book but I'm in graduate school right now so pleasure reading if off the table for the next year. :( Thanks for the suggestions though.
  • christianteach
    Options
    What are strong lifts?
  • christianteach
    Options
    Go here and let them know what you want. They will set you up with everything you need from a good program to calories and macros.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-

Okay, will do.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Normally I would to pick up a good book but I'm in graduate school right now so pleasure reading if off the table for the next year. :( Thanks for the suggestions though.

It's not pleasure reading. It's instructional. Starting Strength is basically the bible of how to safely perform the major barbell lifts.

Stronglifts is a beginner barbell strength training program.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    What's the best way for a woman to build muscle? I don't want to look like a body builder, just gain enough to replace what I've lost with age and to speed up my metabolism. The only strength training I'm doing currently is Power 90, using 8-12 lbs. I know it's not much but I just started a few weeks ago. I am seeing progress...I started out using 5 lbs. and could barely do any push-ups and I can do over 50. Where should I go from here to see results?

First off, you won't accidentally get a female fitness competitor physique, let alone a male bodybuilding physique. The amount of dedication, sacrifice, and effort that goes into looking like that is insane, so that shouldn't be a concern of yours.

Second, if you want to add strength and muscle from a beginner's standpoint, then the answer is irrelevant whether you're in possession of 2 X chromosomes or happen to have XY. Compound lifts on a 5x5 rep scheme with the heaviest weight you can safely lift, period.

Good luck.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    NROL4W (New Rules of Lifting For Women - Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Godess) is a great program. It is for any level of athelete, you pick the weight you are comfortable with. I went through Stage 4 of 7 and saw great changes in my body & muscle (deadlift 220 & squats 195 - among other progress).

Good luck on your lifting journey!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Lol@the cliche bodybuilder line. It takes years of dedication and drugs to build serious muscle, you couldn't do it without drugs if you tried, so don't worry about that. If you want to become a little more muscular you should train each muscle for a total of 12 workingsets. once week or so. Monday chest and back, Wednesday legs, Friday arms. 3day splits seem to work better for women.

Your bodyfat percent will determine wether you look bulky with muscle, nothing else.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts, eat at a calorie surplus, prepare to take a long time........
  • christianteach
    Options
    Your bodyfat percent will determine wether you look bulky with muscle, nothing else.

So I shouldn't start until I get a low body fat percentage?
  • christianteach
    Options
    Heavy compound lifts, eat at a calorie surplus, prepare to take a long time........

I can't do that, I'm still losing. Is this something I should put on hold until I reach my goal?
  • christianteach
    Options
    Is strong lifts the best place to start or should I just keep doing videos (currently Power 90) until I reach my goal?
  • jonnythan
    Options

I can't do that, I'm still losing. Is this something I should put on hold until I reach my goal?

You can only build muscle if you're gaining weight.

Chances are you're actually happy with the amount of muscle you have and what you want to do is have more muscle definition. You can get that while losing weight by doing strength training and eating a lot of protein (this maintains muscle mass). This way, you keep the muscle you have and lose fat, which helps reveal the muscle underneath.
  • christianteach
    Options

You can only build muscle if you're gaining weight.

Chances are you're actually happy with the amount of muscle you have and what you want to do is have more muscle definition.
    You can get that while losing weight by doing strength training and eating a lot of protein (this maintains muscle mass). This way, you keep the muscle you have and lose fat, which helps reveal the muscle underneath.

That's what I'm doing now, if you call doing Power 90 sculpt strength training. I've been trying to eat a lot of protein too but have been told to increase it quite a bit more so I'm going to try.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I currently do StrongLifts 5x5 program. I only do two days a week of that since I didn't want to give up my Body Pump class. Eventually I might do the full 3 day SL program as I know I'll build my muscle better that way.

You won't bulk. I have been firming and leaning out using this workout system. My thighs are smaller and look much more shapely. My legs are looking better than they did when I actually weighed much less.

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    You don't need to buy any books for StrongLifts. Here's a link to the group here on MFP, the program is all there and all the girls there can help with all questions.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

Good luck!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I don't want to look like a body builder

You won't!!!!!!

It's freakin' hard for women to gain muscles and we don't have enough testosterone to look like men.