Beachbody

Options
So, I think beachbody does have some good things - their programs are good, my husband got P90x which we'll be starting soon, but a bunch of the stuff seems like a crock of *@)$ as well. Same ole hype as diet pills etc.

For example, i saw this today (which is a Beachbody product)

2-Day Fast Formula - Drop Up to 2 Pounds of Fat in 2 Days

If you really want to start burning off that hard-to-lose fat, taking 2-Day Fast Formula is a great way to begin the process. By allowing your body to stop breaking down food so your natural calorie-consumption machine can get "caught up" with the food in the pipeline, you'll soon start burning off stored fat.

I read it closer - "body to stop breaking down food so your...soon burning off stored fat" ... Isn't this just the equivalent of fasting? It sounds like they just stop calorie intake for 2 days and probably give you something along the lines of a laxative with a little appetite suppressant.

Anyway, I'm all about the fitness parts, and the diet idea - but not about the shakeology (really, $4 a day for breakfast is supposed to sound like a reasonable price!?, That's a reasonable DINNER price for me and I eat breakfast and lunch at between $1 and $2.50 a day if even that much!) But the micronutrients, shakes, power bars.... TONS of money and so much hype and crap in with it all.

Maybe our results won't be as super incredible, but I think that just normal grocery store items can turn out similar, cheaper, and less snake-oil-doctor results.

Replies

• YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to make their own choices and determine what works for them. I'm sorry you see Shakeology as snake oil and hype. I totally disagree. It is full of super foods, probiotics and nutrients the majority of people never get in their diets but need for their bodies to function well. I can personally attest to the fact that my husband no longer has to take Lipitor because of Shakeology. I know many women, including me, who no longer get yeast infections when on antibiotics due to the probiotics in Shakeology as well as my own weight loss and increased energy. I have seen many companies sell snake oil and hype. However, Beachbody's Shakeology and fitness programs, as you acknowledged, isn't one of them. Part of the reason Shakeology is $4 per glass is because the company was not willing to reduce the quality of the ingredients in order to improve their profits. The profit margin for Shakeology is extremely low and most companies are not willing to make so little money on one product. In my opinion, Beachbody is one company out there with the integrity that no other companies can come close to.
    I hope you enjoy P90X. It really is a well researched, well presented program that if you follow it, will give you fantastic results.
    Cheers :drinker:
    Risa
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I guess my specific point on this one is: how can they take all this "nobility" in effective and healthy weight loss and then also sell products labeled as "lose 5 lbs of fat in 2 days", which upon closer reading of the description is a laxative and calorie absorber restrictor. Rather equivalent to some castor oil and just not eating those two days.

I'm still not a fan of shakology and the rest of it all, but that likely is primarily budget related. When the cost of the micronutrients, the shakes, the bars, the supplements, and the restore drink for one are more than, sometimes even double, my entire family's monthly (relatively healthy) grocery budget - something is a little excessive.
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    BUMP!
  • kedwardspcm
    kedwardspcm Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Beachbody has some GREAT diet/exercise solutions! I have to agree with YogaRunner - Shakeology has improved my stamina in the gym, has increased my energy levels, helped reduce my cholesterol levels by 25%, helped me reach my weight loss goals, and reduce my cravings... and yes... I am guilty of sharing it with my children too because with the appropriate research, you will see that there is nothing with its nutritional values on the market...

Interesting fact, the FDA recently suggested that we should consume 26 - yep 26 - servings of fruits and vegetables/day. YIKES... Either way, when we are on a diet, we usually eat less, and we eat less of everything :( including the necessary nutrients our bodies need to become fat burning furnaces... You should see the ingredients of the Shakeology..it has 70 different vitamins and minerals... As far as cost goes, I am with you. My breakfast, lunch, or dinner equates to $ 2- $3/day, but if you're dieting you either are, or should be, taking a multi-vitamin. If you are working out, you should be taking a protein supplement. With that being said, once you add all the costs of the multi-vitamin, the protein supplement, and one meal a day with a fraction of the nutrients and potency of Shakeology, you are actually saving money :) by replacing all of that with the one shake a day :) Anyway, thats just my two cents.

Good luck on your fitness journey, and keep us all posted on your success! :) It counts!
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My husband has lost 130 lbs using p90x and it is a great product! As for us we would love to be able to use Shakeology and the other products, but just can't afford them....so just putting it out there that even without all that p90x in itself will be enough to make you see great results!!! SO i wouldn't worry about the other stuff except the nutrition. Good luck to you=)
  • johnphays
    Options
    While the Shakeology 3 Day Cleanse (Detox) has for the most part replaced the 2 Day Fast formula (which is clearly labeled a 2 day fast, not sure where the confusion is coming from), it's still a good product. 2 days of simple protein and cutting out all the other bad stuff will certainly lean your body out a bit of basic water weight and other excess, cleaning out your system, and just 2 days of that isn't a bad thing.

Now, on to Shakeology. I've seen many, many major success stories from Shakeology, it's amazing stuff. I cannot imagine a healthy, nutrient rich diet that's only costing $1-$2 a meal, so $4 for replacing an entire healthy meal, as well as any multivitamin you may (or may not) already be taking seems like a heck of a deal to me. Plus, you're also getting all of your probiotics, antioxidants, digestive enzymes, energy and protein, basically all your veggies for the day. I'd say it's darn near impossible to find a meal for $4 that gives you all of that! It's actually the equivalent of a $41 salad, and people have actually gone to nutrition stores to try to purchase the ingredients individually, and while they couldn't find them all, they ended up spending a few hundred dollars, so yeah I'd say it's a great value!
  • johnphays
    Options
    By the way, on a personal note, I lost 7 pounds in 3 days on the Shakeology 3 Day Cleanse. I never felt hungry, since it's plenty of food throughout the day, I had more energy, felt great. My uncle, after 2 months on Shakeology and simple workouts, had his triglycerides go from 700 down to 250, and his cholesterol drop from 300 to 150. My aunt kicked her caffeine habit after just a few days, and has more energy than ever.

I've met the creators of Shakeology, the passion and dedication they have is inspiring, and the fact that they went around the world and tested the soil of each and every ingredient just helps show how much effort went into making this a great health resource.
  • wishneusky
    Options
    As regards the price (per serving) of Shakeology.... it would appear the multi-level marketing scheme is driving the cost up to users. I've talked to "coaches" about starting to use Shakeology (for me, it's a dietary supplement given my bachelor's diet is pretty lame). I've heard "$130.00 for a thirty day supply (one bag). That equates to $4.33 a day. If you purchase the same product from a non-coach (?) selling the stuff on eBay, you can pick up the same bags for about half the cost. Beachbody claims to have very low margins on the product. It leaves me to conclude the high(er) per meal price is going to pay the "distributors" and "coaches" down the "chain" in the multi-level marketing scheme. Any comments?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Shakeology is garbage. It's a total waste of money.

And, you don't need to cleanse. Your liver and kidneys do that very well on their own.

I think you have the right idea. Eat a well-rounded diet (with a good macro balance) at a deficit and you will lose weight.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    whenever I see beach body posts I do this, because I know they are going to be hilarious..

K9bhUZo_zpsvpqolxtx.gif
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whenever I see beach body posts I do this, because I know they are going to be hilarious..

K9bhUZo_zpsvpqolxtx.gif

fyeahgronk <3
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I guess my specific point on this one is: how can they take all this "nobility" in effective and healthy weight loss and then also sell products labeled as "lose 5 lbs of fat in 2 days.
    Because they are a for profit corporation. All that high and mighty "nobility" is simply marketing speak.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    YogaRunner wrote: »
    Part of the reason Shakeology is $4 per glass is because the company was not willing to reduce the quality of the ingredients in order to improve their profits. The profit margin for Shakeology is extremely low and most companies are not willing to make so little money on one product.
    Not true. The reason for $4 on a shake is to split profits to as high as 8 people on the chain of the pyramid. It's an MLM and 3rd party manufacturers don't use the highest quality raw materials.
    Shakeology isn't any more a quality drink than others that are manufactured by a 3rd party. There is no dosage information on the packets since they are a "Proprietary blend". Dosage MATTERS on anything you intake for performance. Just saying that an ingredient is in a drink doesn't mean that the dosage is effective for the user. People come in different weights and physiology, so how could a single drink adjust for the dosage needed? It doesn't.
    Being in the fitness business for more than 30 years and seeing all the different exaggerated claims from many supplement companies, Shakeology is nothing more than another "Proprietary blend" drink that poses as some super food to generate profits. It greatly appeals to users of Beach Body products since they the workouts are legit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Beachbody has some GREAT diet/exercise solutions! I have to agree with YogaRunner - Shakeology has improved my stamina in the gym, has increased my energy levels, helped reduce my cholesterol levels by 25%, helped me reach my weight loss goals, and reduce my cravings... and yes... I am guilty of sharing it with my children too because with the appropriate research, you will see that there is nothing with its nutritional values on the market...

Interesting fact, the FDA recently suggested that we should consume 26 - yep 26 - servings of fruits and vegetables/day. YIKES... Either way, when we are on a diet, we usually eat less, and we eat less of everything :( including the necessary nutrients our bodies need to become fat burning furnaces... You should see the ingredients of the Shakeology..it has 70 different vitamins and minerals... As far as cost goes, I am with you. My breakfast, lunch, or dinner equates to $ 2- $3/day, but if you're dieting you either are, or should be, taking a multi-vitamin. If you are working out, you should be taking a protein supplement. With that being said, once you add all the costs of the multi-vitamin, the protein supplement, and one meal a day with a fraction of the nutrients and potency of Shakeology, you are actually saving money :) by replacing all of that with the one shake a day :) Anyway, thats just my two cents.

Good luck on your fitness journey, and keep us all posted on your success! :) It counts!
    Actually I believe the FDA is more concerned about food SAFETY and not suggestions on servings. But I'd like to see the link if you have one.
    You don't need a protein supplement if you're getting the required amount you need through food.
    And no you're not saving that much money. You're speaking of 1 shake a day versus many other optional shakes along with food and costing less per serving.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what Shakeology offers over, say, a protein shake and a vitamin pill?

Specifically.

Didn't you read? "Super Foods!" and Lipitor replacing cholesterol reducers apparently. ;)
    Also, newbie post digs up 4 year old thread... :#
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    johnphays wrote: »
    While the Shakeology 3 Day Cleanse (Detox) has for the most part replaced the 2 Day Fast formula (which is clearly labeled a 2 day fast, not sure where the confusion is coming from), it's still a good product. 2 days of simple protein and cutting out all the other bad stuff will certainly lean your body out a bit of basic water weight and other excess, cleaning out your system, and just 2 days of that isn't a bad thing.

Now, on to Shakeology. I've seen many, many major success stories from Shakeology, it's amazing stuff. I cannot imagine a healthy, nutrient rich diet that's only costing $1-$2 a meal, so $4 for replacing an entire healthy meal, as well as any multivitamin you may (or may not) already be taking seems like a heck of a deal to me. Plus, you're also getting all of your probiotics, antioxidants, digestive enzymes, energy and protein, basically all your veggies for the day. I'd say it's darn near impossible to find a meal for $4 that gives you all of that! It's actually the equivalent of a $41 salad, and people have actually gone to nutrition stores to try to purchase the ingredients individually, and while they couldn't find them all, they ended up spending a few hundred dollars, so yeah I'd say it's a great value!
    Anectdotal. There are threads here that compared buying a good Greens formula and a quality protein shake for about 2.00 per serving. And equivalent to a $41 salad? Please show dosage amounts in one shake and equate that to that $41 salad. I for one would love to see it. Sorry, but just making statements based on what you may have heard doesn't mean it's accurate or true.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    johnphays wrote: »
    By the way, on a personal note, I lost 7 pounds in 3 days on the Shakeology 3 Day Cleanse. I never felt hungry, since it's plenty of food throughout the day, I had more energy, felt great. My uncle, after 2 months on Shakeology and simple workouts, had his triglycerides go from 700 down to 250, and his cholesterol drop from 300 to 150. My aunt kicked her caffeine habit after just a few days, and has more energy than ever.

I've met the creators of Shakeology, the passion and dedication they have is inspiring, and the fact that they went around the world and tested the soil of each and every ingredient just helps show how much effort went into making this a great health resource.
    Unless you have actual proof that they've done that, then they can tell you any story they want.
    And again, anecdotes aren't evidence. There are MANY people who have done what your aunt and uncle have done without using Shakeology. They did it by just reducing their weight and choosing better eating options.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    BrettPGH_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, half the posts you're arguing with are 4 years old. ;)
    Maybe they'll be 4 years more qualified to answer then? Heck, let's just do it for the newbies then.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

This infomercial brought to you by a Beachbody Coach!