vegan views, what are yours?

Options
I know a few vegans from university. Interestingly another student who is a veggie said she found vegans too extreme and aggressive in their views. I must admit I have been shocked a few times by what my vegan friends have said one example being.
" I don't think I could be best friends with someone that eats meat because I would always think they are stupid". Also my sister in law who is vegan has similar views she chooses to only be friends with other vegans which I find strange. Am I missing a point? Surely one of the great things about life meeting different types of people?

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You are right. Meeting, interacting and respecting other people's views and beliefs is a great way to live.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    We were born to eat meat, hence the k9 teeth.

And if we had decided to be vegans way back in history, our brains would not have developed into what they are today.

Though it is sad to think about living animals being killed in assembly lines to feed us.
  • justicer68
    justicer68 Posts: 1,223
    Options
    I know a few vegans from university. Interestingly another student who is a veggie said she found vegans too extreme and aggressive in their views. I must admit I have been shocked a few times by what my vegan friends have said one example being.
    " I don't think I could be best friends with someone that eats meat because I would always think they are stupid". Also my sister in law who is vegan has similar views she chooses to only be friends with other vegans which I find strange. Am I missing a point? Surely one of the great things about life meeting different types of people?

I think they are narrow minded and missing out on alot of great people. They are the ones who are stupid. You should accept people for who they are not what they eat. I agree with you. Smh...
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    didn't you post this in a different form so why the same thread 2 different places?
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    yes because I have found in the past that I can get more of a variety of views.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    confused the hell out of me ,lol
  • BaristaX
    BaristaX Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    We were born to eat meat, hence the k9 teeth.

And if we had decided to be vegans way back in history, our brains would not have developed into what they are today.

Though it is sad to think about living animals being killed in assembly lines to feed us.

pretty much this statement right here,

vegans who have extreme views, as bold as to say "humans should never eat meat" are just denying years and years and years of human evolution, the cavemen didn't survive or get their strength from just eating plants.
    I have a theory that extremist vegans probably did not get enough protein to develop their brains, that's why they make statements such as "I won't be a meat eaters friend because I will always think they are stupid"

in the end I respect peoples choices, but I really dislike others that think they are higher above or superior to someone else because of the food/lifestyle decisions they make.
  • jennifermads1
    Options
    confused the hell out of me ,lol
    it was the pinky lee sorry :)
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Another person's diet is their business, not mine. I can understand and totally respect vegans not wanting to be roommates with meat-eaters because the sight/smell of meat upsets them or even makes them nauseous (I get the same way with cigarette smoke), but I never really associated closed-minded behaviors with the vegan diet. People who feel the need to assert the superiority of their opinion are gonna do it regardless of what they eat or who they worship (or don't) or what their stance on abortion is or whatever the hell people like to argue about these days. It's a human thing, not a vegan thing.
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    I'm a vegan, and as long as somebody respects my choices, I will respect theirs. I don't care if you eat meat. I really, really don't. I choose not to for a variety of reasons, but it's still my choice and I don't expect everybody to have the same opinions and make the same choices as me.

Vegans have this negative representation of being rude and pushing their opinions on everybody and OF COURSE there ARE people like that, but I think it's a very small percentage of vegans. They're just the ones that get attention because they're the loud ones. Unless somebody were to eat a meal with me and get into a discussion about food with me, they usually won't even know that I am a vegan because like, ...it's just food. It's just what I choose to eat. I don't talk about it all that often. So like, it's whatever. Y'know?
  • stefisdeadgood
    stefisdeadgood Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, and as long as somebody respects my choices, I will respect theirs. I don't care if you eat meat. I really, really don't. I choose not to for a variety of reasons, but it's still my choice and I don't expect everybody to have the same opinions and make the same choices as me.

Vegans have this negative representation of being rude and pushing their opinions on everybody and OF COURSE there ARE people like that, but I think it's a very small percentage of vegans. They're just the ones that get attention because they're the loud ones. Unless somebody were to eat a meal with me and get into a discussion about food with me, they usually won't even know that I am a vegan because like, ...it's just food. It's just what I choose to eat. I don't talk about it all that often. So like, it's whatever. Y'know?

This is my view too. I am vegan and I believe everyone has to make their own food choices. My boyfriend, who I live with, eats meat and that's his choice. Most important is respect of other peoples decisions even if they go against your own.
  • potatocar
    potatocar Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This is my view too. I am vegan and I believe everyone has to make their own food choices. My boyfriend, who I live with, eats meat and that's his choice. Most important is respect of other peoples decisions even if they go against your own.

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what.”
    I find it very confusing to see why you would respect a person for eating meat, as a vegan yourself, seeing as respect is something that should be earned, not something that is there by default. "I don't enjoy blowing myself up and killing children, but I respect terrorists who choose to do so." No, you don't, because it goes against what you believe, and that's alright.
  • rhia575
    rhia575 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't mind vegetarians I think that's fine but in my opinion (of what I have experienced with vegans) it just seems a little stupid to me. My vegan friend was at my house and i was cooking eggs she refused to have any because she was vegan. But correct me if i'm wrong the whole point of being a vegan is because you are against the harm to animals so if these eggs came from chickens in my garden living happy healthy lives and laying eggs is a natural process why would you then refuse to eat that ? idk just all the vegans i have met so far (and i know this is not how all vegans are, i'm just saying the ones i have come across) they just appear to be the attention seeking fake dramatic type and kind of annoying. just saying
  • ForumSamurai
    Options
    Oh I'll eat a cow right now if you read everything I wrote instead of stopping at "rape a couple of women" and going "HA! She compared it to rape! This is my cue! Awww yes!"

I didn't compare it to rape. I reminded the kind sir what the good old natural life of cavemen also includes besides their tasty, protein-rich, brain-enlarging diet of medium rare, well-seasoned steaks.
    Um.. yeh.. but.. um... yeah, you kinda compared eating meat to raping women. You really did. I read the whole thing... and you're adorable as hell... but... um... yeah... ya kinda did. ;)
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    But correct me if i'm wrong the whole point of being a vegan is because you are against the harm to animals so if these eggs came from chickens in my garden living happy healthy lives and laying eggs is a natural process why would you then refuse to eat that ?

There are MANY reasons to become vegan. And that usually is a main reason. But it's not the same for everybody. Some people just don't want to eat animals or things that come from animals and there's nothing wrong with that. And it's not necessarily "refusing" to eat something. It's just choosing not to.

idk just all the vegans i have met so far (and i know this is not how all vegans are, i'm just saying the ones i have come across) they just appear to be the attention seeking fake dramatic type and kind of annoying. just saying

You need to meet better vegans.
  • erikmsp72
    erikmsp72 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    You are right. Meeting, interacting and respecting other people's views and beliefs is a great way to live.

This.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Good for them. Same as with religion- enjoy your choice, but don't PUSH it on me.
    I eat local and sustainable- but I like cow on my plate and leather on my feet.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I think this site sums up my feelings about a whole lot of vegans pretty well:

http://www.exvegans.com/

This is their mission statement:

Our Mission.

If you’re no longer vegan, you’re going on the list.
    The spirits of the billions murdered have risen to deliver: The Vegan Sellout List – an online directory of those who have regressed from moral consistency to moral depravity.

The Vegan Sellout List is our answer to the epidemic of vegan sellouts – those who are aware of the suffering caused by meat, dairy, egg, fur, and leather production, yet choose to look away while the animals suffer.

Selling out veganism is a trend on the upswing, bringing with it swarms of haughty, nose-turning carnists uttering nonsensical buzzwords re: veganism being “privileged”, or “trendy”, critiquing themselves into ethical degeneracy and paleo-terrorism.

To those who have regressed from veganism, yet display symptoms of a soul not fully blackened to it’s core, we ask you to remind yourself why you were what you were
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I think everybody's food choice is a personal one based on their own views and history and culture etc., and even though I've been vegetarian 30+ years, it's been decades since i tried to convert' anybody. Of course any action has consequences, so if you or I or someone eats a ton of unhealthy food, or very healthy food, or too little food, etc., there are results by way of health, weight, and karma as to how many other beings had to suffer for you to have the big mac or the carrots, but I have found the worst thing to do to try to change someone's mind is to hostilely point out how you think they're wrong!
  • proudandprejudiced
    Options
    I believe everyone is entitled to their own views but I really can't stand people who force their views down your throat. This obviously doesn't just apply to vegans, but to people doing Paleo, to avid meat eaters, to pescetarians, to raw foodists etc.

But honestly, we provide animals with free housing and (some with) free healthcare, so surely they can donate a few eggs or some milk or honey, right? I see the point of view of vegetarians, not wanting to kill for their food, but I think that in exchange for what we provide animals with, they should return the favour! But obviously, that's my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.