vegan views, what are yours?

Options
2»

Replies

• getfitcharles
    Options
    People are complete idiots sometimes. I'm vegan but I don't push it on people because 1) it's obnoxious and 2) it's my choice not theirs.
  • Smirfettewithmuscles
    Options
    You are right. Meeting, interacting and respecting other people's views and beliefs is a great way to live.

This is very well said!:)
  • ForumSamurai
    Options
    I agree with the sentiment that people should just leave other people alone.

I wouldn't notice if most people were in the middle of the street... on fire... let alone what they were eating at lunch.

Caring about crap like that takes WAY too much energy.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan.

I choose it for my own reasons. I assume other people choose what they eat for similar reasons.

My only attitude about it isn't about veganism, it is about the health costs to individuals and overhead written to the health care system by the grossly unhealthy diet purveyed by fast food vendors and what is colloquially called the "Standard American Diet". But there are plenty of ways to eat a more healthy diet that don't require plant-based menus.

But for the record, I don't "preach" - I only provide advice when asked. I used to spend alot more time having to "defend" my diet (which I don't bother with any more) whenever anyone found out I'm a vegan, than I see others having to do when it emerges that they eat meat.

So please keep in mind that there are those of us who are not "judgmental" - and please don't judge us! I'm a little tired of all the complaints about vegans. Aggressive morons come in all types.
  • Rhonda21km
    Rhonda21km Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am vegan and do not choose to surround myself with only vegans. What someone else chooses to eat is not my business and I do not try to push my views on others. In fact, I find meat eaters are the ones that seem to feel the need to defend what they eat once they learn I am vegan, which I have never understood since I truly do not care or pass judgement on their choices.

I do find it a little frustrating when people pass judgement or make assumptions regarding my choices without really having a full understanding on nutrition and our body's requirements for good health. I know numerous people that truly believe you MUST consume animal products to get adequate protein in one's diet - this is simply false. Passing judgement on someone else's choices without getting your facts in order is just as bad as a vegan who pushes their views about not consuming animal products in my opinion.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    When it comes to people's ethics and personal tastes, e.g. someone choosing to be vegan because they object morally to eating animals, or the idea of it disgusts them or they simply don't like the taste of animal products, then I'd say each to their own, and of course we should respect each others different beliefs - you don't have to agree with someone's opinion to respect it and their right to hold it.

However it totally does my head in when people try to claim that meat eating in humans is unnatural. Humans would not have even evolved without meat. And the argument about gorillas being vegan does my head in too, because a) gorillas eat insects and b) gorillas have the smallest brain to body size ratio of all the great apes and are also the least intelligent. Chimps, who have the largest brain to body size ratio of non-human apes, eat monkeys. In fact they cooperatively hunt monkeys, which is a very human-like behaviour. Early human ancestors like Australopithecines and Homo habilis probably cooperatively hunted monkey sized animals in a similar fashion to chimps. Homo erectus cooperatively hunted considerably bigger animals and Homo neanderthalensis cooperatively hunted huge, dangerous animals like bison and mammoths. And Homo sapiens invented long range hunting weapons like throwing spears and bows and arrows, to be able to take down big animals without getting injured quite as often as neanderthals did. So humans have a rich history of hunting bigger and bigger animals using progressively more sophisticated weapons, and also a correspondingly increasing brain size first as a result of eating more meat and later as a result of cooking meat (which makes it easier to digest and therefore means you can get more nutrition from it). Animal fat, in particular, is essential for growing a large brain. Modern people can be vegan only because of recent advances in agriculture and the ability to transport food around the world, because otherwise it's really difficult to grow enough high protein plant food to get enough protein, and also the technology to refine plant oils, and no-one can gather enough high protein plant food from the wild to survive, hence the need for humans to eat meat for pretty much the entirety of human history until fairly recently.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I think it"s funny that people assume cavemen had a lot of meat. (So would cave women) truth is we were not great hunters and the majority of our diets were likely whatever we scavenged. Fresh cow and raw carrots not likely on the menu until we "evolved". We were all most likely nomads traveling to find whatever we could.

THAT SAID. My vegan friend "tolerates" me but pretty much ignores whatever I say she has a whole group of vegan friends on Facebook that she can not tell about her "meat eating" friends because they would be offended.So are they close minded? She seems t be, by her attitude any one that doesn't agree with her is wrong. When people present with this attitude for religion, opposite food views, upbringing, or other various reasons anyone would label them a little narrow minded. What makes vegans different? People of religion say they are the way they are for moral belief and most have no problem laughing at them.

I am not religious or vegan. Personally I think as someone already said by choosing not to associate with someone based off diet, or even religion you miss out on a lot of great people.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You are right. Meeting, interacting and respecting other people's views and beliefs is a great way to live.

This.

Yep.
This discussion has been closed.