Who has been there?

Options
Browny43
Browny43 Posts: 124 Member
Hi everyone, my name is Amanda. One year ago I was doing great, I had lost 47 lbs and was loving working out and eating great. I lost motivation and I need to get back on. Not only have I gained the weight I lost but I am so saddened by who I have become again. Help, who's been here and how did you get back on?

Replies

• kimberlythomeson
    Options
    Amanda, I lost a lot of weight during my last pregnancy due to me having to be on a controlled diet. But i have gained it all back plus some. I just joined this program because i want it gone. My first step was making a decision and setting my goals. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe together we can make it work. I know i don't have the support i need here at home, so i'm having to find it elsewhere...i'd be glad to help keep you motivated as well.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I was there for nearly 7 years after losing weight. I made promises that I would start Monday or tomorrow but never followed through. I even claimed I was eating less but less of my choices wasn't exactly a big change even though it did help me lose about 10 lbs in about 3 1/2 years. I finally had to just do it, start right then and there no more tomorrow, I didn't really want to I lacked energy because of my food choices and lack of exercise but I did it anyway. I fussed the whole way through the first few weeks but did it anyway I lacked motivation but did it anyway. About a month into it I hurt my hip while trying a new exercise I had to go to a chiropractor and got an adjustment and still had terrible pain but by that time I had gained some motivation so I asked the chiropractor if I could continue riding my bike and he said it would help loosen me up so with all the pain I had I kept on going. It took 4 1/2 weeks for the pain to go away but I didn't let that excuse stop me. I realized I had made many excuses over the years, one being I lacked motivation to do it so I decided I would not accept any more excuses from myself. I have even started calling friends out on their bull s#*t since I have learned to better recognize excuses or I just stopped excepting mine and won't excepts others either. My whole point is just do it and stop making excuses your motivation will come with time and even if it doesn't I bet u will feel so good that the motivation won't matter. So get off your butt and do something about your excuse.
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I am here for the same reason. Hopefully working with others here we can get back to where we want to be.
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I was there for nearly 7 years after losing weight. I made promises that I would start Monday or tomorrow but never followed through. I even claimed I was eating less but less of my choices wasn't exactly a big change even though it did help me lose about 10 lbs in about 3 1/2 years. I finally had to just do it, start right then and there no more tomorrow, I didn't really want to I lacked energy because of my food choices and lack of exercise but I did it anyway. I fussed the whole way through the first few weeks but did it anyway I lacked motivation but did it anyway. About a month into it I hurt my hip while trying a new exercise I had to go to a chiropractor and got an adjustment and still had terrible pain but by that time I had gained some motivation so I asked the chiropractor if I could continue riding my bike and he said it would help loosen me up so with all the pain I had I kept on going. It took 4 1/2 weeks for the pain to go away but I didn't let that excuse stop me. I realized I had made many excuses over the years, one being I lacked motivation to do it so I decided I would not accept any more excuses from myself. I have even started calling friends out on their bull s#*t since I have learned to better recognize excuses or I just stopped excepting mine and won't excepts others either. My whole point is just do it and stop making excuses your motivation will come with time and even if it doesn't I bet u will feel so good that the motivation won't matter. So get off your butt and do something about your excuse.

beautifully said.
  • ryl217
    ryl217 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    So been there! Many, many times. I was so tired of being disapointed in myself. I once lost 50lbs and gained a lot back, so I know I can lose.
    This site helped so much, having to be held accountable really made an impact.
    I joined my first group immediately that set up a weekly weigh in, and you get to see how everyone else in the group is doing, and hear about their struggles and wins. It really motivated me to have people in the same ship. I'm in a new group now (last one just was a countdown to summer), this one is the 30 week Christmas challenge. Maybe give it a try, all are welcomed to join and it's only in week 4, so you'd be doing 26 weeks till xmas :)
    I also took a set of before pics when I started mfp this January, I just took a new set and I have to say, seeing 6months worth of my work really helps keep me motivated.
    And last, get a good size group of friends on the site, I personally don't know any of mine, but they have all been really supportive and it makes a world of difference having others pay you on the back for good work and lift you up when you're down. That sounded really cheesy, but it is true. :) Feel free to add me, I log daily and try to add in support daily too.
    Good luck, and just believe that you can really do it and know that you're totally worth the effort, I think I may have finally started to realize it myself.
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Been there and just starting over after losing nearly 70 pounds and putting majority of it back on. Just know it's a lifestyle and you can overcome with some perseverance and a bit of sacrifice. We're all in this together.....best of luck!
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    2 years ago I was 200lbs, then I got down to 175, then slowly went all the way back up and passed 200 and got up to 210lbs. I'm now back down to 183, on my way to 170lbs, never looking back
  • RoninLife
    RoninLife Posts: 64
    Options
    I have been yoyo dieting for as long as I can remember. Finally I was able to get into a routine and kept my weight off for several years without doing anything special but 3 years ago I started working at night and from home. At first it sounded amazing, working from home. But then, I totally fell into a rut... I gained about 35 lbs in the last 3 years and I practically live in my flannel PJs and track pants because I stopped caring about what I look like.... As much as possible I try to avoid people, even my family, due to the shame and embarrassment that I feel about myself. But then I watched this documentary on Netflix , Hungry For Change, and it truly motivated me.
  • mpe1967
    mpe1967 Posts: 24
    Options
    Amanda, we have all been there. Losing weight is the easy part, keeping it off is the real challenge. I am in the process of losing the 70lbs. that I gained BACK after months of dieting and excercise. I understand what you are going through. It is something that you have to go through, so you don't make that mistake again. I got back on track and am now losing. I v'e lost 49 lbs. and I am still going. Hang in there and get back to your program.
  • queenbree13
    queenbree13 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    This is the story of my life. Always losing and gaining it all back plus more. My highest was 281 and I told myself I will never get that heavy again. I lost a total of 35 and hit a plateau and gave up (worst mistake ever.) I ended up gaining about 20 lbs. I will continue to push myself to lose the weight again! I CAN DO IT. No matter what people tell you, don't give up on your goals! I still haven't taken my own advice! But eventually it will hit me that it's my body and my decision! You get it girlllll (;
  • orygunred
    orygunred Posts: 20
    Options
    Hi Amanda: I imagine most of us have been there. I've lost and gained sooo many times.... And so many of them I can tell you what caused it too! lol. This time I spent a lot of time getting my head into it. I think I am finally there. I've only been on here a few days, but I do love how the food tracker keeps me aware of how many calories I'm really taking in. It's awesome! Add me to your list of friends, if you like. I'm happy to provide any support I can. AJ
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yep, feel free to add me.
  • sharan_v_garry
    sharan_v_garry Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi. Take small steps forward. My fitnesspal if done daily will help you to see where your at in terms of nutrition. Exercise is needed.. Start by just being more active. until you find a pattern that works for you. I started with a breathing exercise cd that included 25 minutes of stretching exercises. Until you start loosing wear colors that make you happy.
  • Browny43
    Options
    thank you. i know all the hard work it took for me to lose the weight and i wonder if I can do it again. it makes me sad thinking that I can't when I know I did because i have done it before
  • Browny43
    Options
    I need to watch that, sometimes its that we have to hear what others tell us than what we tell ourselves.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Well I'm there now. I haven't really exercised in months, lifted in months, I've been eating pretty liberally, and I started smoking again. :grumble:

Trying to get back on track, but I'm struggling. Fortunately, my fantastic friends list and the sheer fun of this site has kept me logging in every day. And when I log, I track my food.

That habit alone has helped me to at least maintain. I know I will get it together eventually, but if you don't do anything else, keep logging and tracking everything you eat. At least then, you can be sure not to gain it back.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options

Well Said. (standing ovation) :drinker:

I too was there...many times. Lose, gain back and when I gained back it brought friends. Sad to say it took a pulmonary embolism that nearly killed me to get me on the right track.
  • VanessaG02
    VanessaG02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Same story here!!! I've been through the whole yo-yo dieting for years. I finally lost the weight about 40lbs and then slow just gained it all back and then some! MFP has definitely helped me stay motivated especially with all the support given and received by my MFP friends. What has helped me is ... I have a picture of me at my heaviest, to remind me of where I do NOT want to go back to and a picture of me at my smallest, to remind me that I can't use the excuse "it's impossible" or "I can't" b/c the proof is right there in front of me b/c I already did it once and I CAN do it again. I keep those 2 pictures side by side on my fridge, at work, in my car, and on my phone. This helps with my motivation, especially when I am doubting myself. You can do this! Just stay focused. Its not easy, just take one day at a time and you can reach your goal. Feel free to add me if you'd like!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Just after college, I developed an unhealthy relationship with food and ended up crash dieting my way down to 185 lbs (eating about 300 calories a day and netting in the negatives most days). I felt like crap and couldn't sustain that lifestyle, and when I started eating again, I gained back about 100 lbs (I had only lost 50 lbs to begin with), partly due to the metabolic damage I had done to myself over six months of starvation and partly due to a feeling that I had done all that I could to lose weight and it hadn't worked, so I should just give up and accept that I was destined to be fat. I finally got myself turned around last year and dropped the weight the healthy way. I keep a pair of my fattest pants around as a reminder of where I let myself get to. I also take progress pictures and measurements as a concrete measure of the sucesses I've had. It wasn't impossible, I wasn't destined to be fat, I just had to learn how to eat. I thought the only way to be skinny was to be hungry and deprive myself of all good food, but I was dead wrong. I eat a lot of food and I allow myself to have some of whatever I want, I just fit it into my macros and I exercise to keep the burn going. You'll get there. It's a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck.
  • shellelytle
    Options
    I have been there before. I lost 100 pounds from ages 18 to 19 and now I'm 25 and needing to lose half that amount again. Its so hard and frustating, has made me sad and depressed, mostly about letting go of myself when I already went down this road before and swore to never take it again.