The 600 calorie muffin

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    VERY good point! I'm sure if you read the ingredients....it's full of refined products and void of anything helpful to your body! Need to keep voting with our wallets!

Yup, like flour and butter and sugar. Oh noes!

Nothing wrong with a muffin as long as it fits in your calorie goals. No need to be scared of refined products like, say, butter.
  • robinschwalb
    robinschwalb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is true but I heard that McDonald's was having serious financial problems because they took the fries out of the happy meal and put apples, so someone tried to make us eat healthier and it didn't work....
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    To each their own...I personally would want to eat my 600 calories in something that is both delicious and helpful to my body/nutritional goals.
    VERY good point! I'm sure if you read the ingredients....it's full of refined products and void of anything helpful to your body! Need to keep voting with our wallets!

Nothing wrong with a muffin as long as it fits in your calorie goals. No need to be scared of refined products like, say, butter.
  • glp724
    glp724 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love muffins.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Maybe since you are so alarmed at these horrible muffins, that may be a signal that you should go into business making healthy food. how about you making and selling the kind of muffins you want people to eat.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with our food industry? My husband brought home some banana nut muffins from Sam's Club today. Honestly, I am not making this up: the nutrition label says each muffin is 600 calories! Really? We can't do better than this? Guess I won't be eating any of them, or maybe just one bite and done. Somehow we need to get the message to those who are responsible for creating these horrors that we want something better for us. I have so many ideas...

I know that if we don't buy them, they won't make them. But when they are so inexpensive, it's an easy choice for the budge-conscious. I think we need to do more to get the message across. What are your ideas?

But please do rant, rave, stomp, shout, and spit curses at the wind because Sam's offers food that you don't approve of. For me, I'm thankful that I'm fit, healthy, slender, and living in a country where I have choices.

Agreed - it's like saying a spoon made you fat. No, a spoon did not make you fat - YOU made yourself that way.

This is America - it's freedom. Just because you can't eat the muffin, doesn't mean you can rant about how horrible it is.

Eat your muffin and work out to burn half of it. Problem solved.

This here is 'Merica.. we vote with our dollars and companies give people what they want. OP is also free to rant about anything she wants to rant about. OP didn't say that making this 600 calorie muffin should be banned, she was simply testing the waters to see what options she can come up with to tell companies that she does not want muffins with 600 calories.

We used to sell a cookie in our store that has 900 calories.. it is a single cookie and it's a generous size, but not a ridiculously large cookie. It was full of trans fat to boot. I told the vendor to quit bringing it as I could not in good conscience continue to sell this to our customers. Did I make a decision for my customers? YES. Am I trampling on their rights? Nope. They can vote with their dollars and go find the cookie someplace else.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    To each their own...I personally would want to eat my 600 calories in something that is both delicious and helpful to my body/nutritional goals.

Like, say... A muffin.

Actually I am currently eating a 600-calorie Pop Tart ice cream sandwich that is delicious and helpful to my body/nutritional goals.
  • JisatsuHoshi
    JisatsuHoshi Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    600 calorie muffins!? I need to go stock up om some for my high carb refeed days lol
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I bet that muffin tastes amazing.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with our food industry? My husband brought home some banana nut muffins from Sam's Club today. Honestly, I am not making this up: the nutrition label says each muffin is 600 calories! Really? We can't do better than this? Guess I won't be eating any of them, or maybe just one bite and done. Somehow we need to get the message to those who are responsible for creating these horrors that we want something better for us. I have so many ideas...

I know that if we don't buy them, they won't make them. But when they are so inexpensive, it's an easy choice for the budge-conscious. I think we need to do more to get the message across. What are your ideas?

The chocolate ones are nearly 800!!
  • kts3639
    kts3639 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'd eat it...they are delicious! Oh, and freaking huge. How many calories did you expect to be in the monstrous muffins?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nummers! I love an occasional 1/2 of a big Costco poppy seed muffin! I also tend to eat around 500 calories for breakfast though.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty gross. Something I could definitely fit in reasonably with a good workout that day, though. Most of America isn't doing that though. Props for reading the label! It's all about being aware of what you're putting in your system-and if you can afford to do so or not.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    What about people that are bulkan and need the extra calories? Or maybe those people that complain about not being able to eat 1200 calories a day? One of my gym bros is a bodybuilder and maintains 5% body fat on 4,000 calories a day. IIFYM and you have the calories to spare there's no problem. If you don't, then don't buy it.
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I do not want someone (or the government) dictating my food choices for me. I am a grown up and free to make those choices on my own. That said my reading of the OP was not that she was seeking to ban the product, but rather her shock at reading the label because she is now living in a state of awareness that she did not previously live in. I have been very surprised at some of the calories in foods I used to eat without regard. When you think about the mindless calories we consume it is crazy.

I also took away -- from the OP -- that there are people who assume because it is so packaged that the muffin in a serving. Although I suspect there would be few people who would think a muffin is a "healthy" food, I don't know that to me true. I think for many people it is a simple lack of awareness about food and nutrition.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Or maybe those people that complain about not being able to eat 1200 calories a day?

Isn't that funny? There must be a correlation between people who complain they can't eat 1200 calories a day and people who say 600-calorie muffins and McDonald's are disgusting. Bonus correlation to those who are significantly overweight.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have no idea if this is true but I heard that McDonald's was having serious financial problems because they took the fries out of the happy meal and put apples, so someone tried to make us eat healthier and it didn't work....

Apples are certainly healthier than fries, but when you cut them up, add a little preservative and package the in plastic, I lose interest. Just give me the darn apple.

I've heard that fast food places that try healthier options find they don't sell very well, which is really sad. It occurred to me, though, that since many health-conscious people don't walk in there in the first place, they're selling to a group that, on average, is less interested in eating healthy.
  • Emma_altpeter
    Emma_altpeter Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I think the issue here is that people ***think*** its cheaper to eat garbage than nutritious food.

Say a big 600 calorie muffin costs $1.50, it seems pretty cheap. But when you think about it that's about what a whole head of lettuce costs, or about 2 apples, pretty sure a lettuce or two apples is going to be much more filling than a muffin and much much lower in calories.

Again, you could buy a burger and fries meal- about $6, for that six dollars you could by a cabbage, a lettuce, a cucumber and an apple or two.

So people are appalled at the *cheap* food being unhealthy without thinking about the actual comparison.

I personally spend only $30-$40 a week on groceries (just for me) and I eat almost completely fruits veggies and specialty vegan products (namely Almond milk) :/ My friend on the other hand spends at least $60 buying the supposedly cheap stuff that just leaves you unsatisfied, craving more therefore spending more and ingesting way way more calories.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Again, you could buy a burger and fries meal- about $6, for that six dollars you could by a cabbage, a lettuce, a cucumber and an apple or two.

A head of lettuce, a cucumber, and an apple will have a fifth of the calories of the burger meal, and none of the protein or fat.

If you're going to compare fast food and raw or store-bought food, you should at least make an effort to have the macronutrient ratios similar. It's pretty hard to eat, 130+ grams of protein a day when you're eating cabbage and lettuce.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    So vote with your dollar, and leave it at that.