What's the BEST 5k running app!?

Options
Hey guys, I'm trying to pick up running and heard that the couch to 5 k app is great, but if you search that on the so store there's like 50 results all called that! What's your favorite one and who makes it?

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    let's not over think this. it's a 5k app. they're all more or less the same. pick 3 out of a hat and start running. try all three this week and stick with the one you like the best.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I used "Ease into 5k" for a while. Seemed to be pretty solid.

Eventually I ended up going with an interval timer (Seconds Pro) that let me configure my own run/walk intervals.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I use Double Run - it's free - it works with Pandora - I like it.
  • Muscles_Curves
    Muscles_Curves Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k Trainer FREE
  • AlexisJ330
    AlexisJ330 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I really like RunDouble.
  • epiazza7
    epiazza7 Posts: 6
    Options
    The Running Club app is my favorite since it lets you run live with other people around the country... which makes running a more fun and social experience for me.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    I used the Zombies 5K app (developed as an introduction to the Zombies! Run app) - not free, but zombies...

There were a lot of benefits to it, for me at least:
    (Note I've not used any other c25k app so some of these may be shared with other apps)

1) It allows you to integrate your own music playlist with the training dialogue
    2) It has a storyline, and each time you train you're "rewarded" with more of the story so it's motivation to keep going.
    3) It has GPS tracking, and you can upload each run to the zombielink website so you can see where you've run, how far, average pace etc.
    4) It provided potential follow-on activites. A lot of c25k apps are just that, and end when you get to the last workout. Zombies 5k has a natural follow-on in the Zombies Run app, which was a nice goal to work for and meant I didn't get to the end and feel like "what's next?"

Ultimately though, all the apps will do the same thing, and get you running for 5km/30 mins within 8-12 weeks. If you just want the basic c25k plan, then there are several free apps. Download a couple and see what works for you. You could even forget the idea of an app entirely - there are plenty of plans available online and you could either commit each workout to memory, or write them on your hand (or paper if you're on a treadmill) to follow with the aid of a watch. Or there are podcasts you can download and play on any mp3 player. Or download an interval timer app, or programme a stopwatch and create your own run/walk programme. They all do exactly the same thing, and whichever method is "best" is entirely subjective.

The most important thing is that you actually lace up your trainers and head out the door (or switch on the treadmill). The worst that can happen is that you don't like the app you've chosen, but you can always download another one. The only real mistake you can make is dithering for too long on which app to download, resulting in you not getting out there and running at all.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I like the Zombies Run! stuff as well... One downside is that, while it lets you use your own iTunes playlists, it does NOT work with streaming music service apps like Spotify, Pandora, etc. Kind of a pi__er for me since I don't really keep much in my iTunes library since I subscribe to Spotify. :(
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great, let me use my own music playlists, easy to use, etc. And free!

I use the regular Zombies, Run! app now and it's great fun, so I imagine their c25k app would be as well, but haven't actually used it.
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Zombies Run! trainer - if you want a bit of a game and so as not to over think it or take it all too seriously!!
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Zombies 5k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sarahsedai
    sarahsedai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i wanna do zombies, run! so very much, but i don't have a smarty pants phone. :( it sounds like a lot of fun!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I use Double Run - it's free - it works with Pandora - I like it.

This one worked best for me. I tried and liked RunKeeper, but RunDouble was just way better to me. I have heard good things about Runtastic as well, but I wasn't too keen on it at all. The GPS was WAY off on it.
  • dkammer
    Options
    I love the Zombie Run 5k, I'm on week 8 now. There are several things I like about this app more than previous c5k apps Ive tried. First is that its not just a bunch of timers, there is some actual coaching and cross training build in to the drills. If you're starting a long run block your encouraged to keep your pace in check, but if you are at the end of a week you might be encourage to push the workout a bit more (the workouts are generally the same throughout each week). Additionally, the story is amusing. It's not high art my any means, but it keeps your runs from feeling entirely repetitive.