Injured Knee.. Any exercises to suggest until it heals?

Options
Hello everyone,

I got in a car wreck yesterday and my knee is injured and im not sure how long I will be out of commission. I usually exercise 5-6 days a week including cardio/strength training. I know now I cant do cardio as in running or jumping so is there any other way I can get my heart rate up as if I was doing cardio? Im going to do upper body training still. I have a few exercises in mind I can do to get my heart rate up but getting advise from ya'll would help.

Thanks,
Susie

Replies

• SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Swimming.

(sorry to hear about the accident, hope you are ok)
  • nurse2022
    nurse2022 Posts: 18
    Options
    I've been told swimming, or water aerobics is wonderful. I've got a bad knee in general. I haven't been able to make myself start water aerobics yet, I'm ashamed of my weight, and I don't want everyone looking at me and laughing/or worse, frowning. However, I do know it will be easier on my joints.

Hope you're feeling better soon and your moving around easily. Debbie
  • Mdin1029
    Mdin1029 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hope you feel better. Punching, tae bo type workouts are really good and get your heart rate up while allowing you to sit. Hope you feel better.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    If you can't use your knee to exercise, you can try the bed cardio workout. Not every cardio needs to use legs. You can try 'upper body cardio workout in bed' by Laurel house. I had tried this before when I had knee pain too. If you search in youtube I'm sure there will be more similar videos posted. Get well soon :smile:
  • Happy_10yr
    Happy_10yr Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear about the injury.

Some gyms have hand bikes. Think of a stationary bicycle for your arms. You can get your heart rate up there.

Another option is the rowing machine (non-weight, typically used by the rowing (boating) teams in college. No legs, just upper body.

Heal quickly.

HUUGGZZ
  • histomom
    histomom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Anything upper body. Hand bike if you can get your hands on one. I just talked to my gym owner about this last week. Just do something.
  • Moviegal77
    Moviegal77 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been told swimming, or water aerobics is wonderful. I've got a bad knee in general. I haven't been able to make myself start water aerobics yet, I'm ashamed of my weight, and I don't want everyone looking at me and laughing/or worse, frowning. However, I do know it will be easier on my joints.

Hope you're feeling better soon and your moving around easily. Debbie

I agree water aerobics is great.
    Nurse2022 don't be afraid no one will make fun of you. Just think we are all under water from the neck down no one can see anything. If (and this is a big if) anyone is making fun of you then they really don't have much going on in their lives. It's so much fun I would hate for you to miss out. I'm in the 250 range (for now) and do it, if I can you can.
  • Kiyalynn
    Kiyalynn Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Well, make sure you follow the activity level your doctor recommends for it.

With that being said, I have a old knee injury that hurts a lot and is easily re-injured. Therapists, doctors and some people recommended swimming to me. The reason being is swimming is a no Impact activity. You work all your muscles but don't put the stress of your weight on your joints. Since It is a fresh injury, I would make double sure you swim with a partner tho, could be dangerous otherwise.
    The water is probably your best bet to keep your legs in good shape, while you heal. Even just wading/walking though the water will be easier on your joint than regular walking would be.