Eating disorders...Am I developing one?

Options
So here it goes...I have contemplated writing this a few times over the last couple of days and now i've decided to finally do it. So, some background, at the start of this month I was 166lbs and I have many times in the past made efforts to get fit, healthy and lose some weight. With the added pressure of the army this time I have taken it seriously ( too seriously, which is my problem). So 10 days ago I decided to cut out all unhealthy foods and no bread either. I went for a 'it's all or nothing' approach. I now find myself becoming almost obsessed. Previously i was aiming for 1800 calories but it was coming to about 1500 however the last few days I have found myself practically starving myself for a number of reasons 1) There was not enough 'healthy' food in my house so I refused to eat 2) After a certain point of being hungry I just don't want to eat, i know i should but can't
There is other things but can't think of them off the top of my head. I feel as if I eat anything "unhealthy" then I have failed myself. My not a stupid person I know this is bad for myself and i'm aware of that, it's a psychological thing and I can feel it happening. I'm wondering has anyone experienced the same or a similar thing ? and if so what did you do to overcome it ?

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i think your just having a rough time, i dont think you have a disorder. but im not an md.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    At this point, I would say that you're still new at the weight loss thing again, and it's probably affecting your outlook. You do need to back off of your zeal a bit - eat healthy as much as possible, but don't starve yourself if there isn't the "right" foods available. There are very few "perfect" foods and very few that should be 100% forbidden, and the key to maintaining a healthy weight is really to find that balance.

So, maybe set your goal at 1500 and tell yourself that 100 calories on either side is okay, but no more variance than that. Eat the healthy foods as much as you like, but make sure you enjoy them too. And it's okay to splurge a bit each day, as long as you make sure it fits in your calorie goal (I lost just fine by saving enough calories to have 1/4 c ice cream at the end of each day).

But if you find yourself obsessing even more over what you eat or the numbers on the scale - if it takes over your day or if you eat so little that you can't perform your daily activities (or your PT -- you mentioned Army, right?) then you know there's a problem and you may want to talk to someone more than just strangers on the internet.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You need to get past the whole "good food vs. bad food" thing. I've been down this road, and it does not lead to happy places. The last time I tried to lose weight, I also went for the all or nothing approach. I ended up doing the same things your describing, eventually escalating it to the point where I was eating about 300 calories a day because I was so panicked about eating "bad" foods that I just stopped eating any foods. After six months of this, I started feeling ill, getting headaches, feeling fatigued all the time, the works. When I finally started eating again, slungshot from eating nothing to eating all the things. My metabolism had been shot by starving myself for so long, and it took several years to fix. During the course of trying to get things back on track, I gained about 100 lbs, which is more than I lost in the first place. This time, I've gone slower and fixed my unhealthy relationship with food. I don't forbid myself anything, I just track my calories and my macros. If I splurge one day, I don't stress it because I know I will be back to normal the next day. I don't think you're developing an eating disorder, but it does look like your letting yourself get into an unhealthy mindset with regards to food. Try to figure out why you fear food. For me, it was because I was always expected to eat everything on my plate as a child, and anything anyone else didn't eat. I wasn't given a choice, and it didn't matter whether I was full, my father didn't want the food going to waste and I had to eat it (he was trying to bulk me up for football, but forcing lots of unbalanced foods down my throat and not exercising was not working). I became convinced that I couldn't eat anything without eating all of it, so not eating at all was the only way I could lose weight. If you have someone you can talk to about this, all the better. Talking through it might help you wrap your head around it. When you find yourself not wanting to eat, ask yourself why not. As long as you have calories left over and room in your macros, eating "unhealthy" food won't hurt you. Yes, you should strive to eat fresh, whole foods, but it's better to eat pizza than to starve. A lot of times, if you can say what you're thinking about not eating out loud, you can see that it doesn't make sense and get past it. Good luck and remember, the MFP community is here to help.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Not an eating disorder, just a lack or direction :)
    I've been in exactly the same situation as you and I made it through to the other side!

I've been through many stages where I will clean my diet up just a little bit more. Every time you cut something out, you want to substitute it with something else.

For example, If you eat a ham/salad sandwich at lunch every day then decide to cut out bread, what are you going to have for lunch instead? Firstly, are you doing it because you want less gluten, less carbs or less calories? If you want less gluten, then swap the bread for rice, couscous, quinoa, corn, potatoes, etc. If you want less carbs, then swap the bread for beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, dark green vegetables, egg, cheese or meat. If you want less calories in your lunch overall, then have the same proportions as before but make the portion size smaller. IMO, I wouldn't change more than one of these at a time.

Remember, if your heart is beating, you are burning calories. Work out how many get burnt, add how many you burn with activity and eat a tiny bit under that. If you need advice on calories, post you stats and ask away; there are some great mathematicians on here!

Best of luck!! xx
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

I think that sounds like what you are going through
  • PGG19
    PGG19 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I had this issue, a lot like the above wiki link.

It's something I went through in the process of finding out what would work for me. I think I went through a phase of eating only salmon and carrots and very little of it. Everybody is right, with getting over the "only these foods" thing etc. Honestly, I still kind of have the issue and I know I do, but I found that meal replacement shakes help me, and small fiber bars.
    You have to fight it. You'll end up hurting yourself more than you think you're helping yourself by not eating.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You sound more focused than obsessed but don't forget that if you are active, your body might need a bit more. I pay close attention to the 'extra' calories that MFP allocates when I log any exercise and use them.

I like to try and stay near the MFP pie chart in terms of fats/carbs/protein but recognise I like treats. Fact. And I factor them in too on the basis that I could always cut them out in future if it looked like they were a problem. I am still losing weight so the chocolate, cheese, wine and desserts now and then seem OK! (And are great for morale).

I am not a nutritionist but do have a (random) personal view that since humans were designed to eat what they could get (hunt/grow) that probably very little is off an omnivore's menu in the sense that our bodies can turn whatever we put in into fuel. I believe that a US academic proved that you could lose weight just by eating chocolate to a daily calorie limit. Sounds yuk, but your body will do the work if you keep putting in the right amount so go easy on the 'rules' - good luck!
  • LiftHeavyWeights
    LiftHeavyWeights Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Careful, you said when you eat less you don't feel like eating. Thirty years ago I went down that road & I would not wish it on anyone. Due to extreme stress at the time I ate very little. My stomach shrank so much I could not eat without throwing up. I was able to recover by starting with 1 tablespoon of any food at any time of day. I then gradually increased the amount of food. It was also 30 years ago that I first lifted a weight. I love strength training & I eat lots of food to fuel my efforts. I try to never go under my daily calories.