cuz it has fake sugar in it
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    no soda has 1-4 calories whoever said that
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    diet sodas actually have 1-4 calories per serving.

Snopes calls you a incorrect.

If there is the tiniest bit of truth to this rumor, it's that even though sodas such as Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi are advertised as having zero calories, they do have SOME caloric content from ingredients such as artificial sweeteners, citric acid, and caramel coloring. However, the number of calories per can is still less than one, and FDA regulations allow any food product that contains fewer than five calories to be advertised as calorie-free.
    http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/1calorie.asp

A 2 liter bottle might accumulate four calories. If that's your serving size, then sure, four calories.
  • Frelling_Tralk
    Frelling_Tralk Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Some people claim diet coke makes them crave carbs or otherwise increases their appetite. I have found for me the opposite can be true, sometimes

When I drunk a full glass of coke with my meals it used to suppress my appetite because it would make me feel really bloated, I can't understand how people can have several refills when they're eating! Just one glass is enough to make it tough for me to make room for my meal
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'm as addicted to diet coke (or diet pepsi, I don't care which) as any human alive I think. I'm probably known at every 7-11 on the east coast. I can find a 7-11 in cities I've never been to without even looking them up, I just get in the car and I can find them. Everyone in my office building seems to know me by my double gulp cup (1400 employees). And I'll have 3-5 double gulps a day of diet coke (after ice, that's about 12-20 cans a day). Are the chemicals bad for me? Probably. But it didn't interfere with weight loss. And one known effect of all products which have caffeine (coffee, tea, sodas): caffeine has a known thermogenic property. When I've tried to wean off of it, I gained weight. When I went back on, weight came off easier. Cause and effect? Not definitive. But certainly suggestive.

Some people claim diet coke makes them crave carbs or otherwise increases their appetite. I have found for me the opposite can be true, sometimes. But, usually there is no effect, doesn't make me hungrier or suppress my appetite. I am going to go with if there is any effect positive or negative it's mainly psychological.

I'm in this camp - a diet soda works well as an appetite suppressant for me. For my husband though though, it's quite the opposite.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options

Fake sugar has calories, just look on the back of a splenda packet. It will say something about only being zero calories in servings smaller than 1/4 of a cup. Diet soda gets labeled as zero calories because the number of calories in a standard serving is considered insignificant. Mustard is often labeled as zero calories, too, for the same reason, although sometimes you will find mustard that is labeled as 5 calories per serving. One serving of mustard is negligible, but 20 servings might not be.
  • aakaakaak
    Options

Fake sugar has calories, just look on the back of a splenda packet. It will say something about only being zero calories in servings smaller than 1/4 of a cup. Diet soda gets labeled as zero calories because the number of calories in a standard serving is considered insignificant. Mustard is often labeled as zero calories, too, for the same reason, although sometimes you will find mustard that is labeled as 5 calories per serving. One serving of mustard is negligible, but 20 servings might not be.

The mustard labeling you see is the difference between standard yellow mustard and various other mustards, like brown or dijon. However, this is about diet soda. According to the FDA, a soda can be labeled zero calories if it contains less than one calorie total from all ingredients per serving. A serving size on diet soda is one 12 oz can. A 20oz soda might, maybe have one whole calorie. A full 2-liter bottle might contain as many as five whole calories. Is a 2-liter your serving size?
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    Just from my own personal experience. I'm a type one diabetic, so for a large portion of my time as a diabetic I drank diet soda, and a lot of it. Options for diabetics tend to be limited, and outside of water most diet drinks contain caffeine, etc. Now I'm not blaming diet soda for my weight gain over the years, but I will say that the day I gave up diet soda (cold turkey) and switched to water I did (after the inevitable withdrawal) notice my cravings for snacking decrease dramatically. In retrospect, I can definitely say that for me, their was a correlation between how much diet soda I drank and how much food I wanted. I am not saying this would be true for everyone, but for me it was. Now that I have lost a significant amount of weight I do allow myself some diet soda from time to time, but no more the once a week, and I stick to caffeine free now. Someone in this thread said they find it disgusting to taste now after giving it, I find it to be the opposite. It tastes even better having it sporadically now:) Just my two cents to the diet soda debate.
  • rachseby
    rachseby Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Do some research. I have never let my kids have diet soda. Think chemicals. Read some studies. I belive they cause weight gain because of the body's reaction.

Please tell us more about your belief on this weight gain due to the body's reaction. Also, no need to preach that others need to read studies. You just like many of us made it onto this website because we didn't have the answers. We all still have a lot to learn.

Also, also, come on people, making a big deal about 1 or 4 calories???

The person who started the thread wanted info. about diet coke and this person was just stating his/her opinion. I have read studies that diet drinks are indeed bad, and might be worse than just drinking a regular soda (b/c of the artificial sweetener, mainly). I don't remember the specific study, and they could always come out with another study negating the first study, but just google "diet drinks bad for you" and you can come to your own conclusions. I think that a lot of people don't want to hear this b/c they don't want to give up their soda. I love soda, and really love diet coke, but have given it up. Seltzer curbs my cravings for something "fizzy", has no calories, and no artificial sweetener. But I think if you really want a soda, have it...just know that it might not be great for you, just like if you eat a candy bar or a big mac. We all deserve to treat ourselves, but in light of current research I might not guzzle down 3-4 cans of diet pop a day...
  • Blizaine
    Blizaine Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda daily, and I've had good results. If you want to worry about something. Worry about sugars. That's what will kill ya.
  • imwendys
    imwendys Posts: 2
    Options
    It's all the other junk in the diet soda that's bad. BUT don't be fooled by ZERO calories! Sodas are loaded with sodium and can cause temporary fluid retention and the scale won't be saying what you want it to!
  • aakaakaak
    Options
    It's all the other junk in the diet soda that's bad. BUT don't be fooled by ZERO calories! Sodas are loaded with sodium and can cause temporary fluid retention and the scale won't be saying what you want it to!

An average of about 40mg per serving is "loaded with sodium"? That's just a bit more than your average stick of celery.
  • LisaO_84
    LisaO_84 Posts: 9
    Options
    Diet coke is the DEVIL!!! JK!! I recently cut my addiction to diet coke. I have noticed in my past dieting history that if I still allow myself to drink diet pop I lose less weight per week than if I cut it out. Diet pop tends to not digest very well and can cause acid reflux. If diet coke is causing gas and acid back up than maybe it has a chain reaction on the digestion of other foods you eat aswell. Just a thought
  • jacquib234
    jacquib234 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I get gout and find ANY fizzy drink containing sweet stuff can trigger it. So there's something to think about. I used to get through more fizzy than I can remember. Now I have carbonated water with a bit of fruit flavour squash for variety. Much less gout and it's much cheaper to buy.
    I'd agree with others when I drink fizzy it really sets my sweet tooth off a real craving. Not to mention how bloated I feel.
    If you have any doubts about what you eat or drink, then don't have it would be my advice.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

How are diet pops.. or any pop for that matter loaded with sodium when they barely contain more than some veggies?

Diet Coke is fine to consume provided you don't have an issue with the sweeteners used in them. Some people get migraines, some get sick.

Diet pop will not make you gain weight. Diet pop will not kill you. Personally, diet pop does not make me crave anything or eat more... it actually helps me to avoid eating and gets me over my sweet craving.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Do some research. I have never let my kids have diet soda. Think chemicals. Read some studies. I belive they cause weight gain because of the body's reaction.
    Name one food or drink that doesn't have a chemical composition. Chemistry 101.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Please tell us more about your belief on this weight gain due to the body's reaction. Also, no need to preach that others need to read studies. You just like many of us made it onto this website because we didn't have the answers. We all still have a lot to learn.

Also, also, come on people, making a big deal about 1 or 4 calories???

The person who started the thread wanted info. about diet coke and this person was just stating his/her opinion. I have read studies that diet drinks are indeed bad, and might be worse than just drinking a regular soda (b/c of the artificial sweetener, mainly). I don't remember the specific study, and they could always come out with another study negating the first study, but just google "diet drinks bad for you" and you can come to your own conclusions. I think that a lot of people don't want to hear this b/c they don't want to give up their soda. I love soda, and really love diet coke, but have given it up. Seltzer curbs my cravings for something "fizzy", has no calories, and no artificial sweetener. But I think if you really want a soda, have it...just know that it might not be great for you, just like if you eat a candy bar or a big mac. We all deserve to treat ourselves, but in light of current research I might not guzzle down 3-4 cans of diet pop a day...
    The problem with googling diet soda is you get non peer reviewed "studies" or studies that use rats or mice with an exposure equal to that of 24 cans of diet soda A DAY for consumption and saying it's bad.
    Actual peer reviewed research hasn't shown the doom and gloom from the anti chemical proponents. Till it does (and also since I've been drinking it for well over 25 years with no side effects mentioned) then there isn't a reason to not have one can a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Misinformed. 40 mg of sodium is quite low. You'd get more fluid retention from working out.

IDEA Fitness member
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Diet soda's fine. Most studies that say it's bad for you are done on rats having the equivalent to 24 cans per day.

Still bad for your teeth, like normal soda.