What has made you successful so far?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself to eat whatever food I want as long as it fits into my nutrient goals.

My progress would have been short-lived if I had started out forbidding myself from eating Taco Bell, pizza, and ice cream.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I had to conquer my mind first before I could change the body. My numbers prove I have conquered my mind!
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Setting small goals. Such as loose 5 pounds this month, or hit a certain weight by my birthday. It breaks the journey down and each mini goal is inspiring!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Denying myself nothing but absurd portions. I eat what I want, when I want, as long as it fits my macros. If I want a particular food, I adjust the rest of my foods to make room for it. It keeps me from feeling restricted and turns this from a diet to a sustainable lifestyle.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Patience for the long haul: It look me over 3 yers to slowly put on the extra weight, it's not going to come off in three weeks, or three months.

Realism: having let my weight get where it is, I may never be able to maintain at my previous adult maintenance weight. My doctor has even said that. That doesn't mean I can't drop most of the extra and maintain that.

Paitent Realism: I can't change my eating and activity for a few months and then go back to what I was doing before. What I was doing wasn't working.

Realistic Patience: weight loss is not the only marker of success in my plan. Feeling better, fitter, and stronger are my main goal. I've previously let myself get discouraged when exercise didnt' result in noticeable weight loss. I'm remembering, this time, that regular actiivity and weight bearing exercise have much more to do with my health than the scale does. I'm doing this for my power, my endurance, my bone mass more than I'm doing this for my pants size.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh, my, I need coffee...when I read "pure logging" I thought is that some sort of fitness regimen?

I would say tweaking...be mindful of little changes I can make to live more healthfully.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    A weekly free/cheat/splurge day.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    When I realized that fat loss doesn't have to be eating 100% clean, with brown rice and yams at every meal with grilled chicken.
    And I found out that its about cals in vs cals out, with proper macro of course. I've had more success over the last 5 weeks without starving myself of hating my diet than any diet I've done previously.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I'm another daily weigher. I know it's not for everyone, but it helps me feel in control, makes sure I log in here every day, and means I don't get discouraged when I don't see a loss.

Not eating between meals. I'm not strict about this, but it has been a good habit for me.

Not eating too little.

Just sticking with it.

Not making it any more difficult than it needs to be. I don't obsess about macros, I don't worry if I go over now and then, etc.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Belief in myself. Not trying to do change everything at once made my makeover adaptable. I also started with an open mind, willing to learn about nutrition and exercise.
  • Darryl4126
    Darryl4126 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    What has really helped me was having a set # calories protein and ETC/////////////. I have worked out for a very long time with no real results until I started eating right and tracking it. Diet=70%
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Making healthy food and only having healthy food (mostly unprocessed foods like veggies and meats) in the house. Letting myself be human and enjoying chocolate once in a while,in moderation.

Working out. When I work out,I eat well. When I don't I eat badly. Working out and eating healthy goes hand in hand for me. So I MAKE time to do so. When I'm sick and have to take it easy I will literally eat things I know I shouldn't.

Being patient. Knowing that there will be harder days than others.
    Not listening to the naysayers. It's something I choose to do everyday.

Edited cos auto correct likes to change my words.
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    For me it boils down to the right mentality. I made excuses for years. When I finally discovered MFP and saw a licensed nutritionist I finally had to face reality that the reason I was 223 pounds was because of my own choices. No one had forced me to live the way I had lived, and I had no one to blame but myself. That realization was actually very empowering. It allowed me to set a goal and stick to it. I realized that I control my destiny, and that I could either continue to live like I had or make the proper changes. One year later, and 64 pounds later I feel fantastic. I continue to log everyday, exercise daily, and most importantly keep a positive attitude about my diet, habits, etc.
  • jolene_ca
    jolene_ca Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    1. Finally believing I CAN lose the baby weight. (I did! every ounce of it is gone!)

2. I'm a type A personality, so daily logging really suits me.

3. I eat whatever I want as long as it fits my macros I never feel deprived. I log ahead of time, and then will make any necessary tweaks throughout the day. But by logging ahead I know how much wiggle room I have.

4. I weigh daily. I like seeing how different foods and times of the month affect me.

5. FOOD SCALE weigh everything.

6. Planning on logging for the long hail. I don't look at this as a diet, just my new eating lifestyle.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Consistency and patience.

This ^^^ for real :)
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    1.mfp! The logging has really helped me. Before, I had no idea how much I was eating.

2. Drinking lots of water and no soft drinks.

3. Consistent exercise is key.

4. And it boils down to just making better food choices.
  • dancinmama
    dancinmama Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I am turning 62 next month, and have lost 46 lbs. I started 171 days ago, and have logged 171 days. Even on Mother's Day, when I ate that home made butterscotch pie, and the key lime pie, and.......you get my point. Everything I've eaten is on here. When I hit a plateau, I got a BodyMedia Fit monitor. WOW! That really works...no more guessing. No more plateau. They aren't that expensive anymore. I found a sale, then found a promotional code and got it for about $100. WORTH IT! My exercise? I walk every day for about an hour, and I ride a recumbent exercise bike for 30 minutes, that's it. I have dropped so many sizes, I'm amazed.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Allowing myself to eat whatever food I want as long as it fits into my nutrient goals.

My progress would have been short-lived if I had started out forbidding myself from eating Taco Bell, pizza, and ice cream.

My thoughts exactly
  • tenkesh
    tenkesh Posts: 81
    Options
    1. Love of working out. Love the feeling, love to spend energy to have energy.

2. Intermittent Fasting 16/8. Working wonders. A great way to keep calorie deficit and be in more control over my food intake.

3. Logging my workouts. In Polarpersonaltrainer, Endomondo, MFP and Fitocracy. It's great to keep track and be able to see all the work that I've done. For example recently pulled out a summary. May 2012 til May 2013. 354 workouts. 279 hours spent sweating. 1435 km traveled through running and cycling. 212357 calories burned.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    1. Logging almost daily (In 5 months I have only missed 5 days of logging while I was on vacation)
    2. Listening to my body and eat what makes me feel good--avoid foods that trigger my IBS (oils, eggs, mayonnaise, etc.)
    3. Eating something every 2 to 3 hours
    4. Fill up on fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, whole grains, and low/no fat dairy
    5. Eat some protein at every meal/snack
    6. Drink at least 8 cups of water a day and really limit the calories from beverages (I gave up my sweet tea addiction)
    7. Have chocolate every day :)
    8. Mix up my calories--some days I eat back my exercise calories, some days I don't--my body responds well to this approach
    9. Exercise at least 30 minutes most days (walking & elliptical so far--will add strength training soon)
    10. Be kind and forgiving to myself when I have an occasional bad day