5'10 girl..is it possible to lose 20 lb in a month!?

Options
Hi there! I'm 5'10 and 176 lb at the moment! I would like to lose about 20 lb before I go to California in exactly a month... Is this possible/achievable for me? And how? And advice? Thank you so much!

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes.

Achievable? Not in any healthy, sustainable manner.

Tips and advice? Absolutely not. I don't support stupid.

Recommended healthy weight loss is 1-2 pounds a week at most. Set a more realistic goal and be patient.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    No need to post the same topic twice.

At your height and weight trying to lose that much in such a short period of time is not possible while remaining healthy.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I would expect to lose between 4 and 8 pounds in a month, but considering your height and weight I'd say closer to four, if you're to do it in a safe and sensible manner.
  • alisha_1983
    alisha_1983 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Ummmm.... No.

End of story.

If it were that easy to lose 20 pounds.... We would all be skinny!
  • nicolecassandra
    Options
    No. 20lbs is too much too lose for just a month.
  • LovinDaNewLiz14
    LovinDaNewLiz14 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    It is possible, but dangerous..Sorry can't help you!!!
  • crazyvermont
    crazyvermont Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Pretty hard to say much better than what is already posted, but just isn't healthy. Do the healthy long term and you will be much healthier and successful long term. Good luck.
  • matmismel
    matmismel Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am the same height as you and have lost about 20 lbs in the last 2 months. Because you are already so near (almost in) the healthy weight range for your height, losing that much that quickly is unlikely. As everyone else has said, it would be unhealthy even if you could manage to do it. I would kill to be in the 170s, so be happy you are where you are, and set a more realistic goal for the next month.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Physician supervised PSMF diet.
  • karl39x
    karl39x Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Stop eating, work out a lot, and take meth.
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    NO.

Don't do it.

You're *barely* above the top of your "normal" BMI (and depending on body composition, that could actually be a healthy weight for you - it is for me and I'm your height, although I am a little lighter than that).

Losing that much weight that quickly is an unrealistic and unhealthy expectation. I will say that I did, indeed, lose 20 pounds in a month once - it was when I started and was over 100 pounds heavier than you are and I am sure about 10 of those pounds were water weight anyway. You just don't have that much to lose.

3,500 calories = 1 pound.
    20 pounds = 70,000 calories.
    70,000 calories / 30 days = 2,333(ish) calories/day deficit.
    At 176 pounds and 5'10", that's probably right around where your maintenance calories are.
    To attain a deficit that large, you could eat about 4 pieces of iceburg lettuce each day for the next 30 days.
    You would be miserable, and fatigued, and most likely get very sick.

In other words, NO. Do not do it.
  • pineapple1989
    pineapple1989 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'10" and I would say yes it's physically possible but not if you are looking to do it in a healthy way. And given that the reason we are all here is to generally get healthy I wouldn't recommend trying if you're in it for the long term. 8lbs would be a more realistic target.
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Well at my 4ft 10 in medium frame I lost 13 in a about 5 weeks but hey that's me and I have lost 17 since in the last 6 months steadily . So I suppose if you had a lot to lose .but 20 lbs on you doesn't seem like to much , so losing 5 lbs would be more reasonable perhaps .
  • mahanaibu
    mahanaibu Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Even a liquid fasting diet wouldn't get you there fast enough. Trying aiming for 8-10 pounds, which is a little faster than you should do it for optimal health, but at least shouldn't do you any major harm. It's hard to enjoy the surf when you're inside a box.
  • dextersgramps
    dextersgramps Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    it`s possible but not healthy.just try to loose what you can in a proper and healthy way and if it`s only a few pounds you have still achieved success because it`s better than not losing it at all.remember you want to be healthy when you go on your trip:laugh:
  • bobf279
    bobf279 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    you know the answer already, how long has it taken to achieve your current weight loss
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    to lose 20lbs in 1 month, you need a deficit of 20* 3500 = 70,000 calories.

that means you need a daily deficit of 70000 / 30 = 2333 per day.

almost certainly, you'll need to eat 1200 or more calories to get the proper amount of nutrition for yourself. you'll have to be really diligent about your food choices for the whole month, making sure to meet your daily protein and fat requirements. 1200 is a bare minimum and 1400-1600 is much more realistic. i would never recommend that anyone eat at 1200 or below. but for the sake of argument, let's assume that you can eat 1200 every day and meet your nutritional needs.

that means you'll need a TDEE of 1200 + 2333 = 3533 every day for a month.

once you determine your BMR and multiply by your activity level (usually 1.2x for sedentary), you'll have to add in enough exercise EVERY SINGLE DAY to get yourself to that 3533 total calorie burn. that's likely a lot of cardio for you every day. probably 2-3 hours or more... every day.

if you did this for 1 month, you'd lose 20lbs of muscle and fat in some proportion that we can't predict based on the given information. at the end of the month, you may start to see some hormonal changes that affect your appetite and your rate of weight loss.

you'd also likely end up dehydrating yourself a bit during this whole process and might see additional water weight lbs gone on the scale, although they will return after you return to normal habits. BTW, this is how those 2-3 week fad diets get their "results". most of what is lost is water weight and returns at the end of the fad diet.

does that sound like how you want to spend the next month?
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options

YES AND NO SWEETY. if you are heavily obese than yes. i have an obese friend who drops 5 pounds by the week. but its because she is much heavier than you and most of it is water and toxins and i cant really tell a huge difference. BUT once you get closer to your goal weight the pounds drop slower off the scale. i threw a graduation pool party and i had one month to prepare!!!! i ate right i added strength traing to my daily cardio. i worked out for 2 hours a day and ate close to 1600 calories of clean food a day. i gained weight the first week but i knew it was my muscles forming. by the end i lost about 10 inches!!! and only about 6 pounds. it sounds depressing but I GOT SO MANY COMPLIMENTS IN MY BIKINI. it was amazing. but girl i was determined! i wasnt determined to lose weight but to look good. if you dont work your muscles then some people just look flabby. my best tip is to :eat clean, work out 5-6 days a week with cardio and strength, cut out cold drinks juice pork and red meat and sugars. drink your water and try to eat all your calories so you dont get in starvation mode........Do this the best you caN and you'll be AMAZED at how you'll look in a month
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to lose the last 20lbs? Take that and add a little more time and you've got how long it will take to lose the next 20lbs.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    wow what real gremlins here. if you dont wanna be kind in the advice you offer than get lost. thats what this program is for.... Ever heard of cyber bullying... yall be nice. yeah it may be unrealistic but still offer good advice not judgement.