Substitute for Icecream?

Options
Its blazing hot and just sitting in the same spot works up a sweat. I want to cool off and taste something sweet. So my head immediately goes to ice cream. Sadly im on a diet.

Does anyone have an idea other then flavored water that can work as a sub for ice cream? Smoothies are good too - I know. But my smoothies always taste like shaved ice O__o A smoothie recipe would be nice :D

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    I hear you can make your own icecream with bananas and a food processor. c:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just throw a frozen -very ripe- banana into a very powerfull blender. Tastes just like banana ice cream :)
  • RaeWoww93
    RaeWoww93 Posts: 1
    Options
    A plain frozen banana, take a peeled banana and put it in a sandwich bag place it in the freezer for a couple hours.
  • GoRun2
    GoRun2 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I like frozen skinny cow fudge treats. 100 calories each.
  • fnsaleh
    fnsaleh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look up artic zero "ice Cream"
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Italian ice from the grocery store is pretty low in calories -- maybe 80 per serving. Popsicles are also low in calories. You can go either for the 10 cal tubes of colored sugar water (the kind you need scissors to cut the top off of and then they sort of slice the inside corners of your lips) or the fruit bar style pops that are more calories (again, like 80 or so) and made with real fruit. The lime ones are like crack. Delicious, lime-flavored crack.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I throw containers of greek yogurt in the freezer and pop one out when I'm hot and need a treat.
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Lose the "diet" and keep the ice cream...just eat less of it.
  • JessCowles
    JessCowles Posts: 11
    Options
    Frozen Greek yogurt. Some treats are under 100 calories :)
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    What about popsicles? You can make your own so that they are really healthy using juices and fruit and such. We bought a Zoku popsicle maker a couple years and its awesome because it freezes right away so you don't have to wait for hours for it to be ready and you can use pretty much anything in it.
  • salydra
    salydra Posts: 29
    Options
    Make your own popcicles! You can use whatever you want, including crystal light, cocke zero, or any kind of low cal/zero cal liquid that will freeze!
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Zoku is a product that creates ice pops in seven minutes. You can freeze many different mixtures. You have to pre-chill the unit.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Frozen yogurt!

Healthy choice makes frozen yogurt in 100 calorie containers! Another option is sorbet. The calorie amount in a serving size of sorbet is half of that in ice cream, & in my opinion two times better than ice cream anyways.

Kroger has a line of ice cream called Private Selection, & they have a lemon sorbet & a pomegranate acai sorbet that are absolutely to die for!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    A half cup of icecream is actually pretty low in calories. I highly suggest eating real iceceam, but learning to moderate yourself. Add in some frozen berries if it feels good. :)
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options

^ this

do 20mins exercise, gain extra calories to eat the ice cream
    Cart dor vanilla ice cream is about 100 calories for 50g, the chocolate one is a little bit more, but after doing 20mins exercise, you should be able to accommodate it, if not, eat it an forget about it.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Not everyone can eat just a little. And being on a diet means one has to eat differently.
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I just made a batch of these and they have a consistency similar to that of ice cream and taste soooo yummy!

1 cup light cool whip
    1/3 cup PB2 (made as per instructions)

Place baking cups in a muffin tin. Freeze.

I use a half size tin that only makes 6 muffins so I end up with 6 nice sized frozen pieces that calculate at about 55 calories each.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

Not everyone can eat just a little. And being on a diet means one has to eat differently.

Eating a little IS eating differently. Food shouldn't incite fear, she needs to learn how to break the cycle.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    A half cup of icecream is actually pretty low in calories. I highly suggest eating real iceceam, but learning to moderate yourself. Add in some frozen berries if it feels good. :)

This, or do frozen yogurt with berries.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    This is why food scales are so important.

Edy's slow churned or Breyer's in any flavor you like, generally between 100 and 130 calories per 1/2 cup.

Measure out the gram weight for a serving (usually 62 or 63 grams) and enjoy.

When you get used to measuring your food out, most people discover that the craving is satisfied with a single serving.