Substitute for Icecream?

Options

Replies

• QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    For the same calories as a banana you can get one of the light ice creams and have half a cup.
  • katezx
    katezx Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    sorbet or frozen yoghurt! :)
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    They have those "Slush Cups" at Walmart where you can put a Diet Drink into, or a fruit juice you like. Squish it around and it makes a slushy in a minute. I love those things!
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I make my own ice cream and frozen Greek yogurt in my Cuisinart maker.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Lose the "diet" and keep the ice cream...just eat less of it.

Not everyone can eat just a little. And being on a diet means one has to eat differently.

Eating a little IS eating differently. Food shouldn't incite fear, she needs to learn how to break the cycle.

QFT At some point you have to change your relationship with food and learn that it is ok to have the ice cream or the cookies or whatever you would like but in smaller portions than we use to eat before.... This is a lifestyle and I refuse to never eat the things a like ever again...
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I like fruity ice lollies. I think they call them popsicles in the USA. Nice and cold and refreshing too, most have around 50-80 calories. Ice cream is something I find very hard to eat a sensible amount with.
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, the banana has 48 grams of carboydrates. A 1/2 cup of Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Cookie Dough Ice Cream has 33 grams of carbohydrates. let's remember it's the CARBOHYDRATES NOT THE FAT that makes you fat.

so stear clear of Banana based solutions to dieting. better to find a low carb ice cream brand like Breyer's low carb (7 grams of carbs) and avoid the banana altogether.
  • evnevelle
    evnevelle Posts: 13
    Options
    frozen fruit blended with oat milk, frozen berries blended with ice, etc. I add some cocoa powder to my banana-oat milk blend and voila, yummy chocolate icecream is ready!
  • BarefootSerenity
    Options
    Rich and decadent: 2 frozen banana *****s + 1 frozen avocado chunks + 1 cup coconut milk + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, blend/process = deliciousness.... if you want a bit more sweetness, add 2-4 dates. Enjoy!
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    For my husband and I, I freeze 2 banana's sliced in quarters, for a few hours, then put in the blender with 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/3 cup milk. Blend it all up and enjoy. I slice the banana's in quarters because it is easier to blend. I love this even when I am not trying to eat healthy. I am not a fan of the low fat ice creams, I would rather eat this banana-walnut ice cream. Sometimes I will put a little homemade dark chocolate raspberry sauce on it.

For a healthy smoothie, I throw some frozen pineapple, frozen berries, frozen kale and orange juice into the blender. It is not as good as the ice cream from above, but it is pretty good. I use the frozen fruit instead of ice.
  • Jmeisalive
    Jmeisalive Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Look up artic zero "ice Cream"

I freakin love the coffee flavor
  • StheK
    StheK Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I don't use ice in my smoothies- I use frozen fruit. So much more flavor.

But honestly, there isn't a substitute for good ice cream in my opinion. I just go ahead and have some (not a lot) every once in a while when a smoothie won't do.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    i eat ice cream when i want ice cream, but I also LOVE julie's organic fudge bars at 100 cals each. I don't care about the organic part, but I do like that i recognize the ingredients.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I find that just eating a smaller serving of ice cream is better. If I try substitutes then I end up stabby and still wanting ice cream. So I've got some really good gelato for gym days that's 210 calories per half cup, and then I keep some Edy's slow-churned for days when I have less calories to spare. It's 120 calories per half cup. I weigh it out, enjoy it, and feel much more satisfied.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    Don't deny yourself, that's how diets fail! Just make sure to stay within your calorie goal. That being said. I LOVE Skinny Cow. Around 100 calories per bar or cup. They have some great flavors. My husband was even eating my Skinny Cow instead of his regular ice cream.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Edy's Half the Fat ice cream single servings are DELICIOUS and only 120 cals per serving. It's also just enough to satiate.
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    frozen fruit like grapes or oranges works well for me. Frozen yogurt is alright. Popsicles are great also!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Just have a little ice cream....you can still be healthy and fit and get your nutrition on, etc and have some ice cream.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I just had ice cream and a pop tart and I'm losing weight.

Okay, 1/2 a cup of ice cream and 1/2 a pop tart, but it was satisfying and did the trick . . . though I think my pop tart cried when I cut it half. :sad:
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Rich and decadent: 2 frozen banana *****s + 1 frozen avocado chunks + 1 cup coconut milk + 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder, blend/process = deliciousness.... if you want a bit more sweetness, add 2-4 dates. Enjoy!

wow that's got to be more calories than a serving of ice cream. is that a single serving?