My Unknown Struggle with Sodium

Options
Hello, Pals.

I have been doing really well with my calorie intake however, I struggle with the sodium intake and I don’t even care for salt. I only eat foods where I can track the Nutrition Value, so that I know exactly what I am taking in and the sodium is coming from the processed meals I eat because again, I can trake my nutrition value. Yet, according to MFP, for someone my height and weight, my sodium intake is 2500mg per day and 1900 calories per day. Yet, I tend to go over in Sodium but yet, fall well beneath my calorie intake for the day. I have read many articles on why sodium is bad but I can say I drink 9 cups of water each day. Since starting back up with MFP, it is extremely rare for me to drink anything over than water, which articles have said can help fight the sodium intake. I am 5’6”, 348lbs and female. I have just started back up with MFP, and will do my first weigh in on July 3, my one month anniversary of MFP. Oh, and I am black and I only say that because I read an article on the Mayo Clinic that says if you are over 51 (I’m not, I’m only 28) OR BLACK, your Sodium intake should be 1600mg per day. That’s crazy! Please let me know how best to go about this sodium vs H20 vs calories.

Thanks,
~NeedHelp84

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    1500 is the current recommended for over 40, I don't have high blood pressure/other health issues, I just prefer to keep it that level. . I keep mine at 1500 pretty easily when eating healthy. When I'm not eating healthy...well, now that would be called a binge and the sodium would likely be quite high, same as the simple sugars. Then it's water, water, water for me!. :blushing:

What types of foods do you typically eat in your day? Amazing how any pkg'd food even one meal can blow that sodium sky high! I typically don't use things like ketchup, seasoning salts, pre-salted foods etc. When I shop Trader Joe's I get nuts and get the unroasted unsalted cashews, walnuts or almonds.. Amazing how when you lower salt if you increase (eat out or eat something you don't typically include in your day) it everything tastes so nasty... Same I noticed of course with fat and sugar.

I drink a lot of water ...I love the stuff!

Not sure what suggestions I can give you other than keep an eye on your food diary and see where the sodium is coming...

Processed meats, spreads, cheese, things like that really pack it in quickly. :ohwell:
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    I used to struggle with my sodium too. I weighed 351 lbs a year and a half ago and was hospitalized for heart problems. The doctors told me to watch my sodium. The key is to lose all that processed food. You can make the same things with fresh ingredients and much less sodium. Anything that's prepackaged is really horrible if you're watching sodium intake. Good luck.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    You need to eat less processed foods. I can understand that you want to be very accurate, but you need to eat your fruits and veggies (I can't see your diary so I can only give you general advice). If you want to know exactly what your eating, find an entry for, let's say, watermelon, but instead of estimating a cup, look for an entry that has a weight (grams or ounces). This will be more accurate AND healthier. Also, in crease your water (I chug 16 ounces about 4-6 times a day, just get it over with) and increase your POTASSIUM. Aim for a 2:1 ratio between potassium and salt. I have my goals set as 1500mg sodium and 3000mg of potassium (my diary is open to anyone).
  • LosingThroughHIM
    Options
    Thanks for the info. How much water do you recommend I drink? I already drink 8-9 cups every day.
  • LosingThroughHIM
    Options
    You are so right! These frozen food plates have anywhere from 500-900 mg of Sodium. The more I track my food, the more I see the problem with Sodium. I think I may have to start making this stuff myself. I hope you have seen a difference since your decrease in sodium.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    go through your diary and identify the foods which are containing the most sodium..........eat less of those.
  • LosingThroughHIM
    Options
    I typically eat the processed foods, which are packed with sodium. I am going to take a look at Trader Joe's. I have one ALL the way on the other side of town. Either that, or I know Wal*Mart has the "Natural Chicken Breast" but each time I go, they are all out.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I understand wanting to keep sodium down, but if you don't have an issue with it (such as hypertension), why worry about it?
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    So called diet foods are packed with sodium. Try to stick to fresh and you will get if under control easily.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree---there is a lot of hidden salt in food. I was surprised to find that even many frozen vegetables (no sauces, just the vegetable) have salt.

As an added obstacle, I LOVE salt. I grew up in a family where our food was heavily salted, and we all added more at the table. I've found adding some lemon helps, but I haven't found anything that brings out the taste of food like salt (or maybe I just like the taste of salt). I do highly season my foods, and always have, but it still seems bland without more salt.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I was thinking just this morning of posting the same problem. I do have problem with blood pressure and have more trouble keeping the sodium down than the cals, The food that surprises me is soups. I thought soup is good for low cals but it is through the roof with sodium.
  • MamaCatO
    MamaCatO Posts: 100
    Options
    You can get fresh foods anywhere, yes even Walmart. You just have to be careful about what you buy. I get bags of frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen fish, fresh cut meats. Buy regular brown or white rice, fresh potatoes, whole wheat pastas and lots and lots of fresh veggies. You can find recipes on the internet to help turn them into meals way more delicious than those frozen prepacked things. Just make sure you eat larger portions of veggies and smaller portions of starches and carbs.

And, yes, I have no trouble with my sodium, since I cook everything fresh and use Mrs Dash and fresh herbs for seasoning.
  • LosingThroughHIM
    Options
    I agree. Since tracking my intake, I too am very surprise at how much sodium is in soup. It's crazy. On a similar note, I was readying this article on Yahoo! about how foods in the USA contains ingredients that are outlawed in other countries. It's wild over here, lol.
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I agree---there is a lot of hidden salt in food. I was surprised to find that even many frozen vegetables (no sauces, just the vegetable) have salt.

As an added obstacle, I LOVE salt. I grew up in a family where our food was heavily salted, and we all added more at the table. I've found adding some lemon helps, but I haven't found anything that brings out the taste of food like salt (or maybe I just like the taste of salt). I do highly season my foods, and always have, but it still seems bland without more salt.

Me too, im a Salt lover. Now I use the fake salt. I just cant stop adding the salt and I bloat up from it. Sucks...
  • FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    I understand wanting to keep sodium down, but if you don't have an issue with it (such as hypertension), why worry about it?

Why/...................Because it WILL kill you!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Just replace frozen items with fresh fruits and veggies. I guarantee you will see results in weight loss and your body will feel a lot better. You will have more energy and just feel a lot healthier in general. Plus... you can eat more when you eat fresh foods because they are less calories! Sometimes they might not be as convenient but I would say it is worth it if you can. At least try to replace SOME of your frozen foods with fresh if not all.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You're getting good advice. Basically it boils down to this: Start prepping your foods yourself. If it comes in a box, it's got too much sodium; ditto cans (unless they're marked "low" or "no added" sodium). I cook ahead - black beans, red beans, greens, salads - a week's worth, then add potatoes or rice and I'm good for a week in various combinations. That way I can control my sodium intake.

I've gotten so I set aside 3-4 hours on Saturday or Sunday to do nothing but cook for the week; I've found I really enjoy the time. good luck!!
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I had no idea how much sodium was in processed food until I started MFP. Wow...what an eye opener! I'll admit, I still eat the bad food, but waaaay kless of it than I used to, and my lower BPO is proof that I'm doing soemthing right. :)