when is hardest time for you to control your eating?

Options
It seems I want to pig out when I come home from work or a meeting or church or anywhere I have been for a few hours. I guess I think it is my relaxing time and I am a closet eater. Never eat much in front of people. Any tips? I sure don't feel like going to the gym right after working. It is a physical job in a grocery store. I eat up all my calories and then have nothing left for dinner much that night.

Replies

• RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Mine was at night. My advice would be whenever you feel hungry grab some ice cold water. Not an expert but hope it helps :)
  • Serenitiblue
    Options
    I do the same thing! I work in a very hot factory, thus eating tends to make me sick to my stomach. A month ago a tried drinking a protein shake in the morning before work, usually before coffee as well. It seemed to help in making me feel full most of the day. When I got home, I found I didn't gorge either. So I am implementing the protein shake back into my diet, now that I am serious about losing the weight. It's a matter of sticking to it with me. I get in a rush in the morning and forget. I'm putting me first again, and back to the shakes. Good luck with your weight loss!:smile:
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Night times for me, too. Out of nothing but habit. I work evenings and sometimes all night, too, so I have to be extra careful about throwing in second dinners or snacking all night :)
  • ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    1. Immediately after coming home from work.
    2. Before I go to bed.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    Mine is at night/early in the morning. I'm not hungry during the heat of the day...I can only eat a little in summer until it's cooler outside...then I pig out. >.<

I control it by doing something else when I feel hungry, since once I'm close to my limit, I'm usually just eating out of boredom. So I'll take a walk or clean or read...or anything except watch tv lol
  • brit__2006
    brit__2006 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The hardest time for me to control my hunger is at night, and not because it's night time, but I wake up @ 330a and get ready for work. I get home at 530p then work out then usually try to get to bed by 9p. If I eat before workout I get sick, and I don't want to eat after I work out because I feel I'm wasting the effort put into working out. So i guess it's not really controlling my eating, it's just not having enough time to get a proper dinner in, so I feel the hunger the most. If that makes any sense
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    In social situations. I get anxious and eat all the things.
  • Faery_Dust
    Faery_Dust Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    For me, it's "special occasions". Now I know the odd party would be fine, but I treat all sorts as a special occasion. A trip to the beach, a hot sunny day for a BBQ, a day out shopping, a weekend away..... and they soon add up :(
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    After baby son goes down to sleep and the husband and I hang out on the couch watching tv. As soon as I sit my butt down, the candy, chocolate, popcorn and ice cream cravings come at me in full force!

I usually allow enough calories for a serving of one of the above, though so it's all good.
  • Mom2my3girls
    Mom2my3girls Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tend to go crazy on the weekends and then have to play catch up all week to burn what I ate. So far I have been okay losing what I gain but I know eventually it will catch up to me so I need to figure something out now. I also have an issue with getting up at like 3am and going to the kitchen. I'm not hungry but I have to have something at that time. I know I need to stop!
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I get "snackish" right when I get home from work, but the main time is late at night since I'm such a night owl.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Weekends are the worst for me! I just suddenly want to eat everything after being good all week lol
  • xoxdollyxox
    xoxdollyxox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Usually after dinner. Also Sundays. Saturdays are my day where I eat foods I've been craving for the week (with out going over board of course) so I don't count calories on Saturdays but I try and stick to healthy on Sundays but it doesn't always work out because a lot of time I don't do much Sundays and just want to eat!
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    It seems I want to pig out when I come home from work or a meeting or church or anywhere I have been for a few hours. I guess I think it is my relaxing time and I am a closet eater. Never eat much in front of people. Any tips? I sure don't feel like going to the gym right after working. It is a physical job in a grocery store. I eat up all my calories and then have nothing left for dinner much that night.

Daily, my biggest eating desires are in the afternoon. Monthly, it's a few days before my TOM.

Tips? Eat before your normal cravings start in order to head them off. If you have the monthly fluctuations like me, then up your exercise intensity/time on those days in order to build up some more calorie leeway. Good luck.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    night, especially if we watch TV. It is purely the "Pavlov's dog" thing; between shows I want to grab something. It's really an odd sensation because it is not hunger exactly. I want tasty/fatty/sweet more than something filling.
  • Jeffs32
    Jeffs32 Posts: 18
    Options
    mid afternoon and weekends are worse for me, i try and keep busy but the minute i stop and relax i get the nibbles
  • 2B110Again
    2B110Again Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Anytime during work. I have a stressful office job and sit all day.
  • Raddichio
    Raddichio Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nighttime. I work at home and often stay up late working, and I think the exhaustion makes me think I need to eat. All I can suggest is something I'm sure you're already doing---make good use of the Food Diary. I''ve found it useful to enter my day's food plan at least a day ahead (I usually enter our main meals---dinner---a week at a time). By entering all my food for a day ahead of time, I always know how much more, if any, food I'm allowed and that helps me to keep reasonable in what I eat. Maybe you could try entering a "pre-approved" snack in your diary for when you return home and then savor it without guilt.
  • willdob3
    willdob3 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    For me it is not a specific time of day but when I go too long between meals. Five hours is just right but seven and I am too hungry.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    We have a rule in our house that our kitchen closes at 7. We are only allowed to get water after 7. So, between 5-7 are my hours where I really have to watch my eating.