Replies

• goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    drink the Real Thang!! all diet anything sucks *kitten*
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the science behind it, but if you are drinking 4 diet cokes a day (and then eating more because hey...that coke had 0 calories) because you believe it to be healthier then "real coke"....chances are its not going to a positive effect on your weight loss efforts even though its called "diet". Cutting it out or switching to tea/lemon water or just plain water is going to get you a lot further (although room can be made for treats now and then!)

Not to mention artificial sweeteners....i'd rather have the extra calories then cancer or other detrimental effects...but maybe that's just me. (although I don't drink anything carbonated because it makes me feel sick).
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    If it sounds too good to be true, then it is!!!

Could diet soda make you fat? How zero-calorie sweeteners trick your brain into thinking you're hungry when you're not

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2161715/Could-diet-soda-make-fat-How-zero-calorie-sweeteners-trick-brain-thinking-youre-hungry-youre-not.html#ixzz2X4EgqiIH
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
  • NashvilleScott
    Options
    I absolutely love Coke Zero and I usually drink 1 Coke Zero for every bottle of water.... So most days I drink around 4-5 bottles of water and 4-5 bottles of Coke Zero.

I know its probably bad for me, but my weight is dropping off even with the Coke Zero and they taste sooo good....lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I don't really know the science behind it, but if you are drinking 4 diet cokes a day (and then eating more because hey...that coke had 0 calories) because you believe it to be healthier then "real coke"....chances are its not going to a positive effect on your weight loss efforts even though its called "diet". Cutting it out or switching to tea/lemon water or just plain water is going to get you a lot further (although room can be made for treats now and then!)

Not to mention artificial sweeteners....i'd rather have the extra calories then cancer or other detrimental effects...but maybe that's just me. (although I don't drink anything carbonated because it makes me feel sick).
    Where is evidence that it actually has caused cancer in a human?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darkestdayz
    darkestdayz Posts: 117 Member
    Options

Could diet soda make you fat? How zero-calorie sweeteners trick your brain into thinking you're hungry when you're not

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2161715/Could-diet-soda-make-fat-How-zero-calorie-sweeteners-trick-brain-thinking-youre-hungry-youre-not.html#ixzz2X4EgqiIH

The Daily Mail? Seriously? That's about on the same level as The National Enquirer~
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options

Correlation. Same as saying cold weather gets you sick..................more people do get sick during cold weather, but it's not the weather that's the cause.

IDEA Fitness member
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    How about this - the fact that coke and other soda pop is sweet, no matter what the sweetener in it, and it triggers your dopamine system (pleasure seeking part) in your brain, and that makes you want to crave it/keep on drinking it.

If you think thats a bunch of unproven nonsense, try going without it and see how long you can go without craving it. That should prove whether it is addicting.

Also, if it has diet sweeteners in it, those are chemicals, and so instead of choosing someting healthy, you are putting in an unhealthy chemical in it, so again I think it may not be the best nutritionally for someone who wants to eat healthy.

On a more personal level, you may disagree with me all you want, but as I read the answers from people who claim they can have this or that and brag about it, or say how they enjoy it, it suggests to me that those products still have a hold on people, and that they cant easily give it up, if that were the case, then these people bragging on coke would instead be bragging on the nice fruit salad they ate, or the nice fresh fruit juice they drank. So i think based on the above answers, that tells me ya'll are addicted to the stuff and justifying it. But thats just my opinion, I cant indulge in it because I will want more.. I am a sugar addict, so i need to stay away. and i have.. hope i can make it becuase it is hard ,, because to tell the truth, if I could choose, I would drink about 2 cokes a day, and not that mediciny fake diet coke, but the real classic coke. sure tastes good when its hot. so i respect its power over me, and choose not to indulge, nor do i recommend playing around with this kind of product if i want to have better health.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Diet sodas aren't high in sodium and yes they have zero calories.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I didn't get fat from diet soda so I am not going to worry about how much I drink, which isn't a lot.

7396232.png
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have given up drinking carbonated beverages because they make me gassy, and make me crave other not so good items.. regardless if it's zero calories or not I drink water.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    ...if that were the case, then these people bragging on coke would instead be bragging on the nice fruit salad they ate, or the nice fresh fruit juice they drank.

I...I do that. Not the fruit juice, but salads and other homemade delicious meals with herbs straight from my garden...yeah. I don't think I have an addiction to vodka penne though.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options

Correlation. Same as saying cold weather gets you sick..................more people do get sick during cold weather, but it's not the weather that's the cause.

IDEA Fitness member

Ha! Never could convince my father otherwise... :tongue:
  • MrsSenecal
    MrsSenecal Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big diet soda fan. I drink flavored seltzers now. Mmmmm
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    This girl drinks water ONLY!!!! Not a fan of artificial sweeteners
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    diet coke may have zero calories, ....but artificial sweeteners bring something to the table....they increase your hunger ...so you crave sugar....and junk. The best thing to drink ...is good ol' water....the best....
  • patk613
    patk613 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    All diet soda's are generally HIGH in sodium, which in turn makes you retain fluid, which keeps you from dropping the pounds more quickly. I have gone to unsweetened ice tea.
  • Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

I agree. Correlation and Causation are two different concepts. Most of these studies are correlative. PubMed is a great database to find info on this topic along with other health-related topics. If presented with a soda that was 140 calories with 26g of sugar or an alternative with zero calories and zero sugar, the latter choice seems more logical to me.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    All diet soda's are generally HIGH in sodium, which in turn makes you retain fluid, which keeps you from dropping the pounds more quickly. I have gone to unsweetened ice tea.

They are NOT high in sodium. 40 mg for a can is not a lot.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Diet drinks are the worst thing in the world for you if you are trying to lose weight. So are fruit juices from concentrate. The juices have a ton of sugar that will put pounds on you, and the diet drinks have aspartame, the fake sugar that will actually inhibit weight loss. Equal, sweet and low, splenda...all bad for you. I hear that stevia is a good sweetener, and I make my iced tea with it sometimes. Drink lots of water or make your own juice with a juicer. IF you simply cannot stand the taste of water, I suggest the mio liquid flavoring that you can squirt into water. It is aspartame free.