20 years old and i could die...

Options

Replies

• kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Hi I started at 380 pounds and am now down 184 pounds so I understand how hard it is. Exercise wise I found Jillians DVDs too hard in the beggining....iniitally all i did was i had a step and i would step up and down of it...several times a day...I just did all I could do...In the beginning i was lucky if i could step up and down 10 times...but it improved.

For me..i use to work 4pm to midnight...I just tried to eat regularly...i did eat a lot of processed food in the beginning and I think thats fine....you cannot change everything in one fowl swoop. Work out how many calories you can have and track....and you will find the weight will drop off you....best of luck :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Just take it one step at a time. The last time I tried a JM DVD (30 Day Shred to be exact) I only made it 7 mins. I haven't attempted it again. I started with just walking, then added things like Dance Central and EA Sports Active 2.0 when my endurance had improved. I still go on walks and have recently started running with the help of Zombies 5k and Zombies, Run!. If you have an iphone you might enjoy Zombies 5k the first workout is:

10 min walk
    1 min walk
    15 sec run
    (repeat 1 min walk / 15 sec run 10 times)
    10 min free walk/run

This next part is something I've posted in other threads.
    The reason I am creating this post is because I’ve had a few requests for tips regarding weight loss. I don't know why people are asking me for tips considering I still have a lot to lose. :laugh: I am more than happy to share my opinion though and if you don’t agree, well that’s fine to. I make no guarantee that what I am doing will work for you.

Things I use to help me:

:heart: Heart Rate Monitor – I only use this for cardio workouts, because they aren’t meant for much else. I own a cheap Pyle Sports Heart Rate Watch (with chest strap) that I got off of amazon for $26. Polar HRM seem to be highly recommended, but are higher in cost.

:heart: FitBit Zip – I was originally looking to get the One or Flex models, but my husband surprised me with a Zip. I wear it all day, to get a better idea of my total calorie burn for the day. I love that it syncs with MFP and will adjust my calorie goals based on how active I was for the day. It’s extremely tiny and I clip it to my bra (on the part between the two cups).

:heart: Kitchen Scale – I only recently got my kitchen scale, but it is pretty much a must have if you want to be accurate with your food logs.

Exercise:

:heart: Reasons to Exercise:
    :drinker: Cardio – Is good for heart health, endurance, and will help burn some extra calories.
    :drinker: Strength – Is good for body appearance, strength, and will help burn fat (helps maintain LBM)

:heart: Rest Days – Are important. You want to take at least 1 per week to allow your body time to repair and prevent injury.

:heart: Work out Length – You don’t need to spend hours working out each day. I work out anywhere from 20- 90 mins 5-6 days a week. It all depends on how I’m feeling and how busy I am. I recently started Stronglifts 5x5, which takes about 30 mins 3x a week. The rest of my workouts are cardio or circuit training.

Food:

:heart: “Good”/”Bad” Food - I don’t believe in this. To me it is utter nonsense. Food is Food. Some foods provide more nutrients for very little calories while others have a lot of calories and very little nutrients.

:heart: Calorie Goals – Should be reasonable and easy to maintain. Find what works for you. I think it’s probably easier to start with a higher calorie number and work your way down until you are losing at a rate that you are happy with (and that’s healthy). You might end up surprised by how many calories you can eat and still lose weight.

:heart: Metabolic Issues – For those who have medical conditions that affect their metabolism, I’d suggest discussing things like weight loss with a dietitian. That way you can come up with a plan that will work for you. All the online calculators and stuff in that category will probably be very inaccurate for you.

:heart: Vitamins – I take a multivitamin daily. I am actually going to switch from taking a GNC Multi to one I found at Walmart that is very similar to the GNC one, but only a quarter of the cost($5 vs $20). I take a multi because I found without it I was very lethargic. The one I’m going to start taking as soon as I run out of the ones from GNC is “One Source Multivitamin: Women’s.”

:heart: Net Goal - MFP is designed to give you a NET goal to eat at. This means you are supposed to eat your exercise calorie burn. Depending on your accuracy of calculating your calorie burn, you might only want to eat 50-75% back. Another way to look at is:

MFP estimated daily burn (no exercise) - 2500
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2000 (no exercise)
    exercise burn of - 500
    MFP estimated daily burn (with exercise) - 3000
    lose 1lb per week - -500
    MFP goal of - 2500 (or net 2000)

Tracking Progress:

:heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

:heart: Measurements – This is a great way to judge progress. I take measurements once a month. Even if your weight seems to go up, if your measurements are going down, then you are moving in the right direction. For accuracy you want to try and measure the same spots every time. Places I measure:
    :drinker: Neck
    :drinker: Upper Arm – largest part
    :drinker: Forearm – largest part
    :drinker: Wrist – smallest part
    :drinker: Bust
    :drinker: Ribs Under bust
    :drinker: Waist – where you bend (usually the smallest area above belly button, but below rib cage)
    :drinker: Abdomen @ Navel
    :drinker: Hips – largest part
    :drinker: Thigh – largest part
    :drinker: Calf – largest part

:heart: Pictures – Progress pictures are great. I like to take them once a month and at the start/end of any workout programs I do. You may not see the difference in the mirror, but comparing pictures will show you what the mirror does not.

:heart: Body Fat % - This is another great weigh to track progress. The electronic devices that track it can actually be affected by how much water you did or did not drink. For this reason, I prefer body fat calipers. I got a cheap one off amazon.com ($4 w/free shipping). This is also another thing you only want to track once a month or so. Like measurements, if this number goes down (even if the scale stays the same or goes up) than you are making progress.

Remember: Just take it one day at a time. Set small goals. You can do it.
  • PosterGuy1
    PosterGuy1 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hello. I'm 29 years old, and I began this journey on 1/1 and I weighed 420.2 pounds. I've lost 115 pounds in less than six months, and I now weigh 305.2 pounds. I have not began exercising yet, but I'm going to in the near future.

Feel free to look at my diary for ideas. I have found that being VERY rigid and repetitive has been a huge help.

Congrats on your loss. However, i don't think telling someone who is confused about weight loss that she has to be "very rigid" is a good advice. It's not about restricting yourself and being on a "diet". It's a lifestyle change. Slow but steady. OP, you have to understand why you overeat in the first place to be able to change your mind and how you view food.

Thank you.

I definitely wouldn't recommend it for everyone. It suits my OCD sensibilities. LOL.
  • IamDianna
    IamDianna Posts: 37
    Options
    Hi - congratulations on deciding to get healthier. I am sure you can do it!

Also wanted to say to try something like Pilates or yoga. Not high impact, more weight bearing. Something at a low level intensity to get yourself moving and stretching. It also might improve your mood.

And the walking.

But as everyone else said - eating above your BMR, making better choices (ie not soda to start, skip the sugary junk as much as possible).

But most importantly, having one bad day just means that the next day you have to pretend like it didn't happen and keep going.

Good luck!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Get moving as much as you can. Join a gym or get a walking schedule going and start tracking your calories. You CAN do this, reaching out is the first step. It will not be easy but it will be an accomplishment that you can own and be proud of if you go about this the right way. A lot of people say to keep everything in your life. I would say that really depends on how strong you are and if you can stop eating once you start. I cut out bread and gluten for that reason. Maybe not permanently but for now that should get the weight loss going in a positive direction. Watch quantities too. Move as much as possible. It will make you feel fantastic in every way imaginable. Do little things like take the stairs instead of using the escalator or walking instead of driving in a car. Start slowly and eventually you will become fit and strong. Just keep putting one foot in front of the other, be consistent and be patient. Before you know it you will be completely transformed.
  • bad_hair_bear
    Options
    Firstly, you should be incredibly proud of yourself that you're willing to do something about your weight. This is possibly the hardest step of them all, and one that many people don't even achieve. Be proud of that.

Secondly, as others have said, take everything one small step at a time. Lots of small changes really add up over time, and are much more sustainable than trying to change everything at once. I try to introduce more more than one change in a two week period. This allows you to get comfortable with that change and start building it into a habit before changing the next thing.

Log everything you eat. Even if you can only roughly guesstimate the calories, log it. Even if you know you've eaten twice your calorie goal, log it. Seeing it all in writing, all in one place can be a great motivator to change something.

Remember that one small setback isn't going undo everything that went before it. Just as one day of eating 1000 calories isn't going to make you skinny, one day of overeating isn't going to make you pile on the pounds. When it happens just pick yourself up, dust yourself off and carry on as if the setback never happened at all.

Try to build up a support network, either through MFP friends or in real life, or both. Having people around you who support you and can encourage you is vastly rewarding. Their success becomes your inspiration, and your success is multiplied by having people around you to share it with.

Set lots of mini-goals for yourself, including lots of non-scale goals. Having a final goal in mind is a great motivator, but when you're feeling less-than-brilliant about your weightloss journey, that goal can seem years away. So find smaller goals to aim for and celebrate - celebrate every 20lbs lost, or aim to drop a pants size or two, or being able to walk 3 miles without stopping, or whatever is important to you. And truly celebrate them, be proud of those achievements in and of themselves, as well as being part of your overall journey.

Ultimately - this is a long and at times difficult path (anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or selling something). But as with any path, it can be travelled by simply taking one small step at a time, focussing on the end of the road, and having the patience and determination to see it through.

Best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do this! My advise is to look at mini goals first so you don't get overwhelmed. Try for 40 lbs first- that is 10% of your current weight. You will really start to feel good and seeing the # go down, your clothes being loose and the health benefits will catapult your motivation! Friend me!

Edited to add I have a couple jm Dvds too and really don't like them. Walking with interval jogging/running has worked well for me. If you can get a buddy in real life it is a huge help. I text all the time with me and walking with a friend gabbing- you will blink and you'll have walked tons.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You can do it if you really want to. You have come to the right place. The best tips I can give you is to count calories, exercise (even if it is 15 mins a day at first) and keep going and let no one or anything stop you from your goals. Don't makes excuses and tell yourself lies about why you can't. YOU CAN !!!!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    First, there are no good foods or bad foods. No food that will make you lose weight or foods that make you gain weight. You gain or lose based on taking in more or less than your body needs to survive. So your first step is to start logging all of your food. Every bite, every bit of creamer or sugar in coffee, tastes as you cook, bites you steal off someone else, candy you pick up at a co workers desk. Set a reasonable food budget (putting your info into MFP will give you an idea) and at 400 lbs you can safely choose the 2 lb/week level. BMR doesn't really work when you are grossly obese because you don't need to feed the fat. You'll soon find by logging your food honestly where your extra calories are coming from and you'll naturally make changes if you commit to staying in budget.

Your diet will play 90% of the role in your weight loss but exercise is good for your general fitness. Start off with walking if that's all you can do. Most of the DVD's are pretty intense and require some level of fitness to be able to complete them. One exception is the Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD's. If you can stand up you can do them and it makes it easy to get started if you'd rather do your exercise in private.

You can and will lose weight if you want to. The biggest deterrent is thinking that you can't, that it's too hard, that you were meant to be fat or making excuses of why it's too hard for you. Once you get your mind in the right place the rest is actually easy although it won't be fast. There's lots of support here for your journey.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    hi!

I am a 20 year old female. I am 5'10 and weigh 405. :( i wear a size 28/30 pants, 5xl shirt.

My goal is to get down to 145-170... depends on how i feel when i get that low. as an adult i have never been below 300 lbs.

i have no clue how to even start losing weight. i have bought a few jillian dvds but i get so frustrated that i can only get through the warm up that i give up. i dont know what to eat,etc.

im tired of living this way and i know i wont live much longer if i dont lose the weight.

i have pcos and dr said im not able to have children at my current weight. i want to be able to give my husband a son or daughter one day.

but for right now i want to lose this weight for me. i know it will help me in all areas of my life.

can anyone help me?

i have a desk job 40 hours a week.. i go in at 12:30 and leave at 9. i dont know when to eat, what to eat, or how much.

as you can tell i need alot of help and some friends for support!

Regarding the DVD problem, why not start off with just the warm-up and then everytime you do it again, add on just 30 seconds each time. Don't aim to finish the whole thing, you will feel deflated if you do not succeed, just bit by bit, really slowly.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You have PCOS and you are 400 pounds which means the standard nutritional advice isn't going to cut it for you. A lot of women that have PCOS don't even understand how having it impacts your health and what you should eat. You need to get your nutritional information from a much better knowledgeable source than the internet, maybe a dietitian but if you don't want to go that route I've set some guidelines for you to follow.

Were you prescribed Metiformin? Most likely, but at 20 years old, your doctor feels you might not need it yet? Did you get an A1C test? Having PCOS and being 400 pounds is a very good combo for being a diabetic, or prediabetic at least. This means the very first thing you should do is go out and buy a Blood Glucose Monitoring Kit. The higher your glucose levels, the harder it is for your body to burn fat because it's constantly being flushed with insulin. Insulin stops the fat burning process. You need to test your glucose levels after your meals to see if it is within the range of normal to find out what works for you. Glucose should be under 100 after 4 hours of eating and under 120, 1 hour after a meal. Those are the idea numbers you want to shot for.

You should be eating an extremely low carb diet with a high fat and protein diet. When you test your glucose levels, you'll know how low you should be. I'm suggesting to start at 60 grams carb max a day as a base line. You will literally be eating globs of fat and protein. Stick with good fats like olive oil. Cook with it but not at high temperatures or it will lose it's nutritiional value and literally eat the fats left over in the pan with whatever protein that you've made. Also, 2k calories max is where you want to be at and I feel that, that might even be a little too high for you. This includes exercise calories. Do not eat exercise calories back.

• Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I agree with what others said. It's really about knowing why you have to make the change and focusing on your goals a little at a time. You've made a huge accomplishment just by joining and starting the weight loss journey. Find great motivation and friends to support you. Feel free to add me, if you'd like. I'm a busy mom of 5, work full time, go to school full time, and managed to lose over 60lbs in less than a year. I'm a also a personal trainer and Beach Body coach and love to motivate others! Best of luck and welcome to MFP!
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and encouragement! I am at work right now so I don't have the time to reply to everyone of you right now but I have taken what you said to heart! I have a pool where I live and I loveeeeeee swimming. I can be out there for hours at a time. I will try the walking! 10 times around the building on the inside is a mile, i see coworkers walking it all the time! I have an hour lunch so i will start getting that in there!

A couple questions I have after reading yall's posts:

Why would I want to eat above my BMR?

Will I have saggy skin?

And what if I end up losing large amounts quick? I have heard that obese people tend to lose a lot quickly at first, will that hurt me if i do?

My husband is actually a weight lifter for the omega force and i have been thinking of getting him to help me train some with weights. Is that a bad idea for a girl?
  • Sjwedeking20
    Options
    I have tried Metformin but it did nothing for me. So currently, I am not on any meds and I want to keep it that way. I believe that there are natural ways ( like losing weight) to help my PCOS. Dr's say its hard to lose weight with PCOS but it is not impossible. I do not let it limit me and I know I can do this without meds.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    No, you are morbidly obese. You want to be eating under your BMR. Go to any doctor or dietitian and they will give you a calorie goal under your BMR. That BMR nonsense is for people not the morbidly obese category.

As for saggy skin, you will have some but you are young so the chances of it not being saggy after 2 years are good. Your age determines how fast the skin adheres back to your body. The younger you are, the better your chances. Old 70 year old men have saggy skin not because they are large, but because the skin fails to adhere back like a young individual.

Large people lose weight faster. Nothing wrong with that.

• MissKnittyKitty90
    Options
    Everyone has really great advice that I agree with!
    My only other advice is in regard to the exercise videos; so what if you can only do the first 5 minutes? Do that, and every time you do it, you will be able to do another few minutes, and build up. Walks and all the other stuff is good advice too, but if you want to set a goal for yourself, slowly working towards completing one whole DVD is a great start. And when you do it the first time, do all the modified versions of activities... once you do that, try to finish one whole DVD doing it all the way.
    It sucks being reminded that can't do it all right away, but doing 5 minutes is better then doing nothing!
    Feel free to add me, I am on here a lot =]

Edit to add: The weights is a great thing! You might have some saggy skin, but it shouldn't be horrible since you are young. Plus, adding weights = adding muscle, which fills out the skin a little more! Also make sure you get lots of healthy oils and fats because those help with skin elasticity which helps with no sag =]
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My husband is actually a weight lifter for the omega force and i have been thinking of getting him to help me train some with weights. Is that a bad idea for a girl?

Nope, developing your muscular strength helps maintain your calorie burn at a higher level, it's a good idea.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    OK, first things first:

1) As someone else said, skip the DVDs for now. If you want to move more, take a walk in the morning before you go to work. Make sure you have good shoes. Start at 15 minutes of steady walking and work toward 30.

2) If you're not already, start logging absolutely everything you put in your mouth. To get a baseline, just eat what you eat. You'll need to measure, or weigh, or record off the package exactly how much of everything you're eating. Log it all.

3) After a couple of weeks of this, open your diary and ask for help. You'll get plenty of suggestions - folks here are not shy! LOL

4) I went to an online calculator (fitnessfrog.com) and entered your stats. Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) is 2648. That means you have to take in that many calories just to maintain your basic body functions (heart rate, metabolism, breathing, etc). As you lose weight it will come down but for right now, you need to eat AT LEAST that much.

Right now I'd shoot for a "target" of 2750 calories or thereabouts - if you exercise on top of that then you can eat a little more. That should give you a calorie deficit of between 350 and 500 a day depending upon how active you are (this is all guesswork, but it's a start.) Should start to see some weight loss, slow and steady.

Feel free to add me as a friend.

Everything she said ;-) awesome advice! Congratulations on taking the first steps to your good health. I agree with ditching the DVD's for now and just move. If you overwhelm yourself with trying to do everything at one time you'll give up and that is not an option. You are young and have a long life ahead of you.

I'm here to help if I can and feel free to add me as a friend as well.
  • JacquiMayCrook
    JacquiMayCrook Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    First up realise that you CAN do it, you WILL have bad days and it won't happen overnight. If you can accept those 3 things, IMO, you'll be just fine. Log everything you eat, don't worry about those DVDs right now you need to be walking, again IMO, 1-2 miles extra every day.

I'm adding you as a friend and listen to all the advice you can get. Good luck!

My thoughts exactly. I've been there in the past and lost 70lb (pre MFP) and I did most of that through walking everyday. DVD's are great, but strenuous, and right now you need to see some light at the end of the tunnel rather than feel like a failure. The first step is being here :)

I'm away for a week, but would love to be able to support you when I return. In the meantime, concentrate on reading up on IPOARM (In Place Of A Road Map) which I found really good. You probably shouldn't be restricting yourself to low or you are going to struggle.

Best of luck. In 12 weeks you could be well on the way to being a different you! :flowerforyou:
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You are so young, when you do, you will look like you were never heavy.

Find friends, motivation, and support here. Find a plan that works for you, and stay with us.