Did you overcome runner's stomach problems?

Options
I know that digestive issues are a fairly common problem for runners, I've read up on it and it seems there's still a lot of debate about why and no simple solution to fix it.

So I'd really like to hear from anyone who had this problem and has overcome it. I'm at the point where I'm tempted to give up. I love the sense of accomplishment I get from running and I'm making progress but as soon as I hit the two-mile point I start getting stomach cramps and worry I won't make it back to a bathroom. The effects last for hours afterwards too and I often end up in bed because I'm so nauseous and in pain. It's not fair on my family because it takes up so much time I should be spending on them, and frankly it's unpleasant and making me miserable. I like having the goal of a race to run but at the moment I'm too frightened to enter in case I get sick mid way and have an embarrassing incident.

If this has happened to you please tell me how you got past it and what helped you figure it out. I'd really like to make this work.

Replies

• rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It's not a rare problem. If it were just having to poop, could be due to too much food or high fiber food especially before a long run. But if only two miles is making you nauseated for hours afterwards, it sounds more like dehydration/hyponatremia. That happened to me once, but only after a marathon in warm weather. are you running outside in the heat and humidity? Can you try some gatorade in the middle of the run, or try running inside in the cool/dry?
  • TheYoungys
    TheYoungys Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    While I generally don't comment on...ahem.....digestive issues I can maybe help with this one. When I started running over ten years ago I had difficulty getting through most long runs without a need, sometimes rather pressing, to visit the toilet. I was a trail runner though so if a serious emergency arose I was in a good place for taking care of the need.
    Having said that, since I became a vegetarian and therefore no longer eat large meals with meat in them I can honestly say I have never had an emergency since. I can only attribute my problems before with a less than healthy diet and perhaps less easily digestible food. I am sure others would disagree but I know for myself it made a huge difference.
    As for the cramps, etc, no, I've never had that. It was always just an urgent need to "go" and then accomplished I was happy and ready to run again. Hope this helps.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yeah...don't eat before running. Simple.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I should have specified that I almost always run first thing in the morning without eating first - just a small drink of water. On the weekends I sometimes run an hour or so after breakfast, it seems to happen either way.

Thanks for the suggestion about eating meat - I'm definitely willing to try varying my diet to see if it makes a difference.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    A really good explantation here:

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/health/body/pain-relief/gut-reaction-solutions-for-exercise-related-stomach-problems/

It's not always what you eat (though I agree that has a lot to do with it). There is an actual physiological effect, and it is often more pronounced in newer runners.

Personally, I always have an Imodium with me. For me, it's gotten better over the years, but I still occasionally have moments. It's pretty easy to tell when it's going to happen. A half a tablet usually does the trick.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing a long run, I'll eat and wait at least an hour for everything to settle. On a short morning run, I will go on an empty stomach (well, not empty, but just on yesterday's fuel). Prior to a competition, I will reduce protein and fiber about two days before, and skyrocket the carbs and water.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I should have specified that I almost always run first thing in the morning without eating first - just a small drink of water.
    That is strange...In that case I would listen the first suggestion about dehydration, etc.. because your symptoms sound pretty severe.

The only other thought I have is that maybe if you make sure you've had a BM before you go running?
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    try running inside in the cool/dry?
    This makes me wonder if the nauseau is potentially a touch of heat exhaustion?
  • rjbram
    rjbram Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You might also be overdoing the pace. Can you try cutting back a little on how fast you run, and see if it still happens?
    You haven't been on steroids in the recent past, I presume...
  • hammbone55
    hammbone55 Posts: 73
    Options
    I had this problem as a new runner. It eventually went away, but as a new runner I almost always ran on a treadmill until I felt sure I could run a longer distance outside so I've never had the problem with running outside, but I understand it. Dehydration could be key too. Definitely drink up your water. I also cannot eat anything 2 hours before I do any exercise because I get terrible side cramps.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I have had this problem. The more I train, the less I seem to have this problem. I still do on occasion, but it is becoming much more of a rarity. The only advice I can give is to keep exercising and it should eventually ease up.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice. I am certainly hoping it will go away as time goes on but it's difficult to motivate myself to stick with it when I know it will make me feel ill for hours afterwards.

I will make an effort to drink more water as I run. I'd be surprised if it was heat related as even in the middle of summer it's not generally very warm first thing in the morning round here.

No I've not been using steroids! I will try to monitor my pace but I am slow already and the slower I run, the longer before I'm back within a safe distance of my own bathroom!