Oat tortillas!

Options
stargirlll
stargirlll Posts: 22 Member
I've always been a HUGE fan of tortillas (who doesn't love wraps and soft tacos?!), but since I've been trying to eat (way) less wheat and money is tight, there weren't too many options available to me to have these tortillas that I crave so much without being wheat based. I knew I had to make my own.

This recipe makes 8 small tortillas (they were small for me, but if you have a rolling pin I'm sure you could make them quite a bit bigger! I just used my hands to form them.)

2 cups oat flour (I made my own in a blender)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup - 3/4 cup warm water

Mix the dry ingredients together, then slowly add water a bit at a time, mixing well with a fork after each addition. Roll into a ball (you want it wet, but not sticky after kneading.) Knead well. Divide into 8 smaller balls and cover them with a wet towel for 10 minutes. Then roll or spread them to your desired tortilla thickness. Cook them for about 30 seconds on each side on a preheated pan (med-high heat.) You can add any ingredients you like to the dry ingredients, such as spices and flax/chia seeds. My tortillas were on the thicker side, but they were still sooo good with a great texture. I guarantee each time you make these they will get better and better! Good luck! :)

Replies