Been living in denial

Options
Now I am back on the site at a whopping 268 lbs and I am so ready to lose it. My goal is to lose 70 lbs. I think my biggest hill to climb is the quick and easy fast food, especially since using the oven heats up my house it has just been too convenient and now I have gained a lot of weight and fast! Anyone have any ideas on meals that dont require an oven?

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    You need to get a slow cooker or a pressure cooker! Love mine.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I use a crock pot and I also like to make a lot of salads with grilled chicken.
  • iryshjones
    iryshjones Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    crock pot for meat and frozen veggies ... steam them or pop them in the microwave ... fast and easy ...
  • WineMaiden
    WineMaiden Posts: 27
    Options
    I have to agree with the pressure cooker.

Also you might want to consider a toaster oven...they don't heat up the house nearly as much and you can roast and bake in it.
  • swisseler
    swisseler Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You should start grilling!

One trick is to grill a bunch of meat when I have a little bit of time (an hour or so, max) and then use it throughout the week to make quick and easy dinners. For instance, leftover grilled chicken and red pepper can make great tacos.

There are also lots of quick and easy salads or pastas you can make.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    pretty much anything cooked in a pan, the microwave or put in a toaster. thats a lot of things. that like, most things. also some things dont need to be cooked like salads.

the ovens not the problem. what you put in the oven and how much you eat is the problem.

you could make roast vegetables, grilled fish, healthy pizza, roast chicken... well a lot of things, its an oven.

healthier food choices and portion sizes within your calorie goal... heres an info-graphic fro harvard:

VqgnWIVl.jpg

so you can start really basic by just making you dinner look like that.

have some oats or eggs on toast with spinach and maybe even bacon if it fits.

get some fruit in there, maybe make a smoothie, thats what I do.

also from harvard:

"the best nutrition advice on what to eat is relatively straightforward: Eat a plant-based diet rich in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains; choose foods with healthy fats, like olive and canola oil, nuts and fatty fish; limit red meat and foods that are high in saturated fat; and avoid foods that contain trans fats. Drink water and other healthy beverages, and limit sugary drinks and salt. Most important of all is keeping calories in check, so you can avoid weight gain, which makes exercise a key partner to a healthy diet."

source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/pyramid/
    source: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/

what is your calorie deficit? is it reasonable?
  • Brianx94
    Brianx94 Posts: 2
    Options
    A George Foreman Grill would be an excellent investment!! and also they are relatively cheap. Here's one of their recipes for chicken: http://www.georgeforemanrecipes.com/archives/grilled-orange-chicken/
    Also good luck on your weight loss!!