Avocado recipes....

Options
rachso
rachso Posts: 174 Member
Anyone have a good avacodo recipe that doesn't taste so...avacodo-y? I know there are MANY health benefits to avacodas but I really don't like the taste. (also dnt like guacamole) Any good recipes you care to share? They must NOT contain tree nuts or mushrooms due to allergies...

Replies

• vaironika
    vaironika Posts: 36
    Options
    Avocados are AMAZING! they are a great detox food and so wonderfully creamy. My favorite way of eating them are in sweet desserts so i can satisfy my sweet tooth with something decadent and not feel guilty! here is my favourite avocado recipe:

Avocado Chocolate pudding:

1/2 Avocado
    3 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
    3 tablespoons xylitol or coconut sugar or coconut nectar ( all low glycemic and healthy sugar alternatives)
    1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
    dash of cinnamon, cayenne, and/or vanilla bean powder (optional)

Combine all ingredients into a blender ( i use a vitamix with the milling blade) and blend until uniform and creamy. This dessert is delicious! i usually eat the whole thing or you can divide into two servings. You can also freeze this mixture to make ice cream or fudgesicles! If you desire an even sweeter taste you can sprinkle some extra stevia but i find the xylitol makes it sweet enough. As you eat healthier your tastebuds will adjust and you will actually enjoy the natural and more subtle flavours as opposed to processed foods that are very sugary,oily, and salty. This is the perfect summer treat! Enjoy your journey to health! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Use them anywhere you would mayo or fat. So - in egg salad sandwiches, on tuna salad, on BLTs, topping for salads, on Mexican dishes, on salads.

I like them in smoothies, they add a great fiber, creaminess, and nutrients. They are especially good blended with banana, milk, avocado and ice.

Use the "search" function here, too. This is a popular topic and there are lots of ideas on avocados in recent threads.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Blasphemy! I agree with the other poster - avocado desserts are great. I make a very similar avocado chocolate mousse that I've served to people and they didn't believe me when I told them it was avocado.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I us avocados as a mayonaise substitute (I really don't like the taste of it.) I mix them with shredded chicken, eggs, or tuna and add in chopped celery, red onions, cherry tomatoes, chickpeas, etc. (whatever you like), a pinch of salt and some cracked black pepper and plop it on top of a big bunch of arugala.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Avocado chocolate pudding!! Sounds gross, but it tastes nothing like avocado and is delicious!!

1 ripe avocado
    2 tablespoons cacao powder
    2 tablespoons honey
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Sometimes I'll add in a 1/2 teaspoon of peppermint extract or some orange zest for a different flavour.

Sorry, I scrolled down quickly and didn't see the other recipe for avocado desserts!
  • MoJoPoe
    MoJoPoe Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just grind garlic pepper on mine, and I love it! A nurse told me recently that I should eat no more than half an Avocado per day. So what do i do with the rest?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I just grind garlic pepper on mine, and I love it! A nurse told me recently that I should eat no more than half an Avocado per day. So what do i do with the rest?

Why no more than half? (just curious)
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Why no more than half? (just curious)

Yeah, I mean they have healthy fats, fiber, and are full of other essential nutrients including potassium; so, if it fits into your calories it shoulsn't be a problem. Personally, I wouldn't take nutrition advice from a doctor or nurse, as they are only required to take a basic nutrition course most of the time: It's better to take nutrition advice from a nutritionist, since you know that's what they actually went to school for.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options

Save it for the next day?

I've been eating an avocado a day lately, so I can't really give you any more tips than that.
  • lean306
    lean306 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
  • SHINDY12
    SHINDY12 Posts: 53
    Options
    bump
  • marcimlarson
    Options
    i love avocado, and heres what i do: i make a grilled or baked salmon steak, seasoned with olive oil, capers and lime, then cut an avocado in half and fill the holes with good salsa from the deli section. salmon avocado and salsa is this heavenly flavor/texture combo. im so into it right now.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1 Full Avocado + 2 Tbsp Olive Oil + 2 Tbsp Basil + 3 Tbsp Lemon Juice + 3 Cloves of Garlic in a food processor

This makes sauce for about 4 oz of Whole Wheat Pasta

You can half the recipe for a single serving, and play with the amount of of garlic you like.

This recipe and it is SO SO SO yummy. We use a lot more garlic now because we like the 'kick' it gives the recipe. However, i am sure it's not for everyone. This sauce is totally replaced alfredo for me, and I used to LIVE on alfredo sauce!

I had this tonight with 4 oz of chicken.
  • projectxreborn
    Options
    BUMP!!!!:smile:
  • jasminsaunderssmith
    Options
    i have avocado in my smoothies

1 Tb chia seeds
    1/2 banana
    1 orange
    1/4c berries
    handful of spinach
  • beautyonthebeach83
    beautyonthebeach83 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Pennstatechic, that sounds amazing!
  • RoseDarrett
    RoseDarrett Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I just finished eating half an avocado on top of my toast with a drizzle of honey over the top ;)
  • Marjrides
    Marjrides Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump! for more things to do with one of my favorite things.
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    bump
  • broomnic
    broomnic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    bump, have a few which need eating so could do with the tips too.