Losing Weight While Breastfeeding.

Options
kerr2010
kerr2010 Posts: 219 Member
I need some help. I have set my goals to lose 1.5 pounds / week. MFP has me in as eating 1200 cal / day. I am also breastfeeding so I know that I need to eat more than just 1200 cal / day because I will burn extra calories because of breastfeeding. Does anyone know how to calculate / adjust my intake to make sure I am eating enough to provide nourishment for me and the baby while still losing weight?

Thanks in advance for any support or tips!

Replies

• arisamay7
    arisamay7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am also a breastfeeding mom (my daughter is 6 months old). Everyday I add Breastfeeding into my Snacks (just type the word Breastfeeding into your search box) and it shows up as negative calories for the day (I do the -400 that is for breastfeeding 3-5 times a day). Because it shows up as a negative number, it's basically adding those calories to your existing count of 1200--giving you 1600 per day. La Lecha League recommends that breastfeeding moms consume 1800 calories a day, so maybe you should think of adjusting your weight loss goals a bit? I set mine for 1/2lb a week, so I get 1880 calories (PLUS the 400 for breastfeeding), but I try to stay right around 1800. I found with this I was still losing a little over 1lb per week.

The important thing is making sure you're eating the right foods, and staying hydrated. Drink as much water as you possibly can! Also, if you drink a caffeinated beverage, that actually subtracts from your water intake. So, if you drink 64ozs of water but have a 24oz soda, your water count for the day is only 40. So, if you do drink caffeine, double it up with more water. :-)

Good luck to you!
  • kerr2010
    Options
    Thank you. Those are some great tips. I am nervous because I want to lose, but I really don't want it to effect my supply.
  • abel0723
    abel0723 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi!!! I'm so glad I'm not the only one breastfeeding mom on here!!! :)) my babe is almost two months and I feel this is the time to start counting my calories and loosing weight!!! I was confused by calories but so happy there is a way to add breastfeeding in the log- just confused why would it be in Snack?!?! :))) thanks for your help.
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    please stop eating at a deficit. you will take nutrients from your baby. you should be eating between 2200-2500 calories a day on average while breastfeeding. baby first, then you. when your done breast feeding, then deal with your weight loss. your body nburns alot of calories by breastfeeding... take a couple walks through the day, fill your calories with good, nutrient rich foods, and make sure you are getting enugh to properly feed your baby!
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    How old is your baby? You need to give yourself a few months to establish your supply if you want to continue BF. I have a 10 month old, still BF and she is my 3rd child. I successfully BF my other 2 for 12 months. I didn't start watching my calories until 4 1/2 months and its a slow process. Start at 2,200 see what happens then reduce by 100. I wouldn't go below 1600 but slowly get there.
    I'm at 1600 but it wasn't over night.
    Update: I just saw your other post about just having a baby a week ago. DO NOT TRY TO DIET!! You need to establish your supply. Enjoy your time right now, they are only that tiny for a little bit. You will lose it don't worry!!!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i breastfed all 5 of my kids until they were 2. there was a time with my last child, that i tried to lose weight, and my milk supply pretty much dried up in a matter of weeks. thankfully, i caught it in time, and on the advice of my md, took the proper viatamins and suppliments to get my milk back. make your baby the best milk supply possible, this is such an important time for their future health!
  • kerr2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice. I want to use this time to retrain myself , like really eating better. Making sure that I get in all of the fruits and veggies, calcium a and proteins. Basically not eating any junk (which I unfortunately craved during the pregnancy). I am a bit freaked out because I am standing in a wedding at the end of September and have to fit into a dress that I bought while I was three months pregnant. I have no IDE if it will fit because I had to guess at the size.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    The baby comes first. Just walk lots, drink lots of water, eat healthy. That is what I did and I shocked my doc. I lost weight while pregnant under his care. First pregnancy was the opposite lol.. at least I learnt from my mistake.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ive only been on MFP for two weeks but Im also a BFing mom and as you can tell from my ticker below I am losing weight.

I also got that awfully low calorie amount at first. But on these forums I learned about getting your TDEE number, subtracting 20%, and then I added back in 400 calories for BFing.

Go here and get your TDEE number... http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html
    Then subtract 20% of that number. Then add in 300-500cal for breastfeeding (depending on how old your baby is. Mine is 6 mos old and still EBF, mostly).

Im 27 yrs old, 5'9", and my goal is 2200 cal a day. I also eat all my exercise calories so some days Im eating 2800+ calories.
  • hilaryhill
    hilaryhill Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Oh geez if your baby is only a week old, do not diet!! You will risk losing your supply. You have to wait until it is regulated which happens sometime between 4-6 mos. Like I said, my baby is 6 mos old and I just started a couple weeks ago...
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I read an interesting article recently explaining that the additional 500kcal recommendation was to account for the 700kcal required to make a day's breast milk, with 200kcal taken out of the mother's 'fat stores'. So even the 500kcal recommendation has a deficit built in.
  • kerr2010
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips and support. With my first I breast fed and lost weight, but I wasn't counting or really trying. Maybe I will just concentrate on making really healthy choices, not over eating and getting some nice walks in. If I don't fit into my brides maid dress then so be it, they can replace me :)
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Baby is way too early and you need to establish BFing first. Wait a few months at least. After that just listen to your baby and your body. The biggest thing is to keep hydrated and eat healthy fats. Balance out your exercise and diet to make sure you are still getting enough fuel. And lose it slowly!!! I've successfully lost over 40 pounds while still nursing.
  • TMcChamp
    TMcChamp Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just want to say, when i was bfing, when my daughter was 11 months old i started diet and exercises, 2 weeks later my supply had dropped and she was no longer interested in feeding and that was teh end of our bf journey.

AT 1 week old though I think you need to focus on healthy foods and water water water.
    All the best x
  • arisamay7
    arisamay7 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I should also mention that I am BFing a 6 mo old--just turned 7mos--who is just starting solids, and have a nice healthy supply. I've VERY gradually reduced my calories to 1800-2200 a day. If I exercise (which I do about 2x a week) I add those calories to my diet. The original poster has a much younger baby--which I didn't realize--so I would definitely recommend that she makes sure to eat plenty of calories and limit exercise. The weight will come off--I promise!

@Abel,

I just happened to log my Breastfeeding into "Snacks" tab because that seemed the best place to help me keep track and remember to log it everyday. You can log it however you like. :-)
  • abel0723
    Options
    I am trying to eat at least 1800 calories and it is so hard!!! With an older child and running around for work almost impossoble to cook and eat 5-6 times a day. And i get full so fast. Then I am walking at least once a day and that takes out good 400-500 calories- do I eat those back?! I am confused.
  • TMcChamp
    Options
    I am trying to eat at least 1800 calories and it is so hard!!! With an older child and running around for work almost impossoble to cook and eat 5-6 times a day. And i get full so fast. Then I am walking at least once a day and that takes out good 400-500 calories- do I eat those back?! I am confused.

Eat more calorie dense foods - nuts, dried fruits. pasta, greek yogurt (i add a little honey sometimes when i need more calories), cheese sticks. boil up some eggs
    Make a lunch box the night before? I know with breast feeding (mine fed every 1.5 hours even when on solids!!!!) i needed easy one handed snacks and having them pre made made a huge difference (tho i wasn't calorie counting so they were not always teh best choices)
    The whole eating back exercise calories is an on going debate, some say yes some say no, some say eat back only half as calories burned can be wrong depending on where you get your readings. SO maybe try eating back half and see how that goes??
  • abel0723
    Options

Eat more calorie dense foods - nuts, dried fruits. pasta, greek yogurt (i add a little honey sometimes when i need more calories), cheese sticks. boil up some eggs
    Make a lunch box the night before? I know with breast feeding (mine fed every 1.5 hours even when on solids!!!!) i needed easy one handed snacks and having them pre made made a huge difference (tho i wasn't calorie counting so they were not always teh best choices)
    The whole eating back exercise calories is an on going debate, some say yes some say no, some say eat back only half as calories burned can be wrong depending on where you get your readings. SO maybe try eating back half and see how that goes??

Thank you!!! I will try. I pretty much went to salads and avoiding cheese as I can eat a lot of it!!! It's always easy for me to say no to sweets- but cheese is the hardest to resist. It just feels like I am eating All the time. Lol
  • TMcChamp
    Options

Thank you!!! I will try. I pretty much went to salads and avoiding cheese as I can eat a lot of it!!! It's always easy for me to say no to sweets- but cheese is the hardest to resist. It just feels like I am eating All the time. Lol

Measure your quantities, i was shocked at how little 25g of cheese was! ha ha! (I am a cheese addict!!). You def need the cals while breast feeding. While salads are great when you are aiming for 1800 that is a LOT of lettuce, carrot and tomato!

Get teh banana, pears, nuts and cheese :)
  • abel0723
    Options
    Great!!! Will do!!! Thank you so much for all your support!