Emotional eaters

Options
I never considered myself an emotional eater, but now that I am tracking and keeping a close watch. I have noticed when I am having a rough day I want to eat more. I seem to be straving on those days. My grandfather passed away about a month ago. I miss him like crazy and thought he hung the moon. Days when I am thinking of him more....I seem to want to eat more.

Anyone else an emotional eater.

Replies

• 2bawallaby
    2bawallaby Posts: 17
    Options
    Hi I am an emotional eater too. I noticed that at work when I am bored, I look for food, so now have my joggers at work and go for a walk instead. I also started knitting to keep my hands busy.

At least you have identified that you are one, so now you can be aware and change direction, and do something instead.

Sorry to hear about your grandad - use your memory of him to inspire you to lose the weight you want to lose.

Happy to be a friend if you need some extra support.

TM
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Hi, I am also an emotional eater. If I am bored or have nothing to do, ....I tend to want a snack. It's such a vicious cycle. I agree with another member, going for a jog...a walk or even knitting....anything to keep you busy. I also think just a piece of sugar less gum helps too....or drink water....It's tough though because when you have a crappy day....I know what you mean about food...it's comforting....but we can beat this! So sorry to hear about your grandpa.....I'm here if you need me. Raj :)
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I am a former emotional eater. I suspect I will always have the tendency, but I don't indulge it any more. There are very few problems food can actually help with, so I just don't go there anymore. I made a commitment to stick to my calorie level and that's what I do now. It was hard at first to deal with some of the emotions without the usual crutch, but it gets easier. Yoga, journaling, and meditation can help defuse some of the feelings, along with the awareness that feelings are temporary.

The other thing that helped me was the awareness that "hunger" as a feeling is pretty worthless to me because it rarely seems to correspond to an actual physical hunger. So, I use other methods of making sure I am well-nourished.
  • prgirl39
    prgirl39 Posts: 108
    Options
    Hugs. I am also an emotional eater. I cannot be angry or sad because I eat the entire fridge.

What has helped me a lot is to stay active. I am a stay at home mom, not a lot of friends ( since I moved here recently) and I sometimes feel very low emotionally. Walking works wonders for me. Daily motivational thinking, music keep my head and emotions in tune. Also, I reconnected with my love for books. I had stop reading because I never seemed to have the time to do it realizing I was always putting someone else first instead of me.

Try and find something you like or loved, stay active and remember, emotional eating most of the time is not safe because we overdo it, sometimes with the foods that our bodies do not need.

I am still a work in progress. I know that I feel better now that I have started making these changes than I did before. Hope this helps.
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Raising hand.... I'm an emotional eater.

First, I'm sorry for your loss.

Recognizing that you are an EE is a big step, now you can work on it. My emotional eating is so bad that I'm always hungry, that was my excuse to get up to 200 pounds. Now when I'm hungry, I do something to get my mind off of the hunger. If my stomach starts growling, I know that I'm really hungry. I'm hoping that someday my hunger cues will go to normal, does anyone know if this is possible?
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I never considered myself an emotional eater, but now that I am tracking and keeping a close watch. I have noticed when I am having a rough day I want to eat more. I seem to be straving on those days. My grandfather passed away about a month ago. I miss him like crazy and thought he hung the moon. Days when I am thinking of him more....I seem to want to eat more.

Anyone else an emotional eater.
    I'm really sorry about your grandfather.

The great thing about tracking is you start to see patterns in your eating, and you can make adjustments. I'm an emotional eater, but now I recognize the warning signs (stress, sadness, boredom) and I can respond differently. Instead of eating a bowl of queso or a pint of ice cream, I snack on crunchy vegetables or take a walk.
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Sorry about your grandfather.

I'm an emotional eater too. Every time my baby cries I want to eat something unhealthy. It gets worse when I'm tired so sleep is important to weight loss for me. If I'm getting tired and emotional I just try sleeping instead of eating. Not always possible with a baby
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed or exhausted I notice I go straight to the sweets and chocolates:(
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Definite emotional eater. When I feel overwhelmed, I'm very quick to get out of the habit of cooking at home and go to restaurants and drop my day's calories in one sitting. I'm training my mind to want to lift something heavy to make myself feel better instead of a cheeseburger.
  • yumbinkbugonrox
    yumbinkbugonrox Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. When I get particularly angry or anxious, I instantly think, "I need to go to Dunkin Donuts and get a bagel". I've had to say to myself, "No, you're just pissed/anxious/etc, you're not hungry. Be mad and let it pass". It has been working. Blogging and meditation have also helped me out a lot. :)
  • NoeHead
    NoeHead Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :(

I was raised in a not so calm household and I was almost always anxious, nervous and scared. When high anxiety hit I would eat and eat. When I was really down or felt lost I would eat too...Unfortunately I didn't really realize I was an emotional eater until I was happier and in a calmer environment.

I wish you all the best, MFP can be a great place for support
  • llonka
    llonka Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I too am an emotional eater. My thing right now is being stressed with college classes. (I'm a 25 year old mom going back to college finally) I also notice when hubby gets on my case, I eat more. I've been struggling quite a bit lately with things at home being very busy, along with trying to keep up with classes. I have found that playing a game on my 3DS, yes I am a nerd, helps keep me busy.

The going for walk idea would be a very good one as well as the reading one. I hope to get to back to reading soon, I miss my books.

I'd gladly be anyone's friend if you need a smiling face to cheer you on! :)
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I am an emotional eater too. But for me it's mostly when I'm stressed or upset about something. And worse yet, I eat when I'm alone where no one can see me eat.

For example, last week I went to Wal-Mart to get groceries and spent way more than I anticipated. I was stressed about $$, by myself and a 25 minute drive home. So what do I do...??? Hit the drive through of Little Ceasers and get an order of Crazy Bread with Garlic Butter and then Taco Bell for a Cookie Sandwich and eat the entire thing before I get home. Plus I had to "destroy the evidence" when I got home so no one would know I did that. I know if I would have had my family with me I never would have done that.

I'm really good 95% of the time. But if I'm by myself, watch out.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    When I'm stressed or exhausted I notice I go straight to the sweets and chocolates:(
    Thats me ... :wink:
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I am!!! I have noticed it gets worse when I get upset with my husband. I have been learning to control it most other times, but for some reason when we are not right with each other, I want to reach for the chocolate. I just need to continue to be aware of it and when I get the urge to go for the food, to do the things that others have suggested, such as knitting, or reading.

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa. I was the same way when my mom passed away, it is difficult, but you can do it!
  • 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am also an emotional eater. When I get particularly angry or anxious, I instantly think, "I need to go to Dunkin Donuts and get a bagel". I've had to say to myself, "No, you're just pissed/anxious/etc, you're not hungry. Be mad and let it pass". It has been working. Blogging and meditation have also helped me out a lot. :)

Yup. I avoid with food (be it a hard emotion, a difficult task, boredom). I finally had the "aha" moment when I realized that food only numbs this stuff out temporarily. If I eat to avoid, I will still have to face and get through whatever it is. Plus I'll feel disgusted and sick from being overstuffed. My new mantra is ~ Face it head on! whatever "it" is.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Besides what every said, I know that when i used to eat some food to soothe my stress or whatever problems i was going thru, i actually felt myself relax as I ate my food of choice, usually chocolate, or fudge, or creamy coffee cake with buttercream filling, or whatever.. Now when I get stressed, I desire to go for a car ride, just "joyriding" as I call it, riding out in the suburbs or somewhere just out riding aimlessly. I guess it helps get me out of my environment or something.. and seems to help.
  • cweaver1981
    cweaver1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am totally an emotional eater. I've always known this, but I recently became aware of how bad it was. I eat when I am happy, sad, frustrating, bored-apparently almost anything is a reason to eat. I find that when I am very busy I don't eat nearly as much. I have been really trying to listen to my body for the past few weeks so that I only eat when I am really hungry, not having an emotional episdoe.
  • MzReed0309
    MzReed0309 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Nice to see we are not alone. I am definitely an emotional eater, to the point that it is not just stress - it is any emotion. Stress, anger, sadness, happy, celebration, etc. I just need an excuse to eat really.. it is a drug, and it feels oh so good to fill that void.

I know what it is, and in the moment, I know what I'm doing.. and it feels SO GOOD to fill up. Then, the guilt sets in and I feel like crap, and I know I am going to gain weight - and then I feel sad and depressed, so I want to eat more. It is a horrible, ugly, vicious, cycle.

You are not alone.
  • HappyMeLovely
    HappyMeLovely Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss, I can only imagine how hard that must be for you.
    I am totally an emotional eater! When I am counting calories I can tend to become more emotional because it is almost like removing one of my coping mechanisms. The best way that I have found to overcome it is to either eat a low calorie snack like popcorn, or to distract myself with something/do some relaxation techniques. The 2 emotions that I overeat with most are sadness and worrying/anxiety. Emotional eating got me to where I am today, at almost 270 pounds and 30 years old. After my son was born I was extremely lonely and depressed, it took a really long time to get out of that funk. I'm glad that you've recognized it as a problem, but I am not sure if there is a way to permanently rid yourself of emotional eating. You have made great progress so far, keep it up!