BodyMedia Fit...bought one, does it work???

Options
I just purchased a BodyMedia Fit and I was wondering if it will help me with my journey, how does it works or any information anyone could give me on it would be greatly appreciated :))

Replies

• annebaum41912
    annebaum41912 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you enough how much I love this thing. It is well worth the money. I won't even pretend that I know how it works lol but it's great. I plug in what I eat here on MFP and I have the accounts synced so the BMF tells me what I burned and gives me a deficit. It is the most amazing thing. I have had it for almost a month now and it is extroardinarily accurate (for me anyway) on how much I lose in a week.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why spend that sort of money on something, and only then ask if it works?
    I mean, is it not more sensible to do your research and ask this sort of question before investing in something like that ??
    ~totally bemused~
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you enough how much I love this thing. It is well worth the money. I won't even pretend that I know how it works lol but it's great. I plug in what I eat here on MFP and I have the accounts synced so the BMF tells me what I burned and gives me a deficit. It is the most amazing thing. I have had it for almost a month now and it is extroardinarily accurate (for me anyway) on how much I lose in a week.
    I love mine too. It's the best motivational tool you could get. I love trying to beat my old personal bests.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Why spend that sort of money on something, and only then ask if it works?
    I mean, is it not more sensible to do your research and ask this sort of question before investing in something like that ??
    ~totally bemused~

Exactly what I was thinking. If anything, read the manual that comes with it.
  • Mag1913
    Mag1913 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    my asking if it works was not the wording i should have used...I have lost 32 pounds doing it with just tracking my calories, and putting in what MFP tells me for my zumba works out and walking calorie burn. I guess what i wanted to know is it more accurate with your burn than MFP?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/apps/show/10

The thing adjusts your MFP calories if it thinks you used more than MFP does, same with Fitbit. Have you linked the accounts ?
  • Mag1913
    Options
    I haven't linked them yet...I just ordered it hoping it will arrive in a couple days. I did find where you link them so I will make sure when I get it I will link the accounts.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    I believe the BMF is FAR more accurate than MFP for estimating your exercise calories. In many instances, MFP seems to WILDLY overestimate exercise calories. It used to tell me I burnt 700-800 calories an hour, cycling moderately on an exercise bike. :noway: I wish. If anything, the BMF will underestimate stationary cycling and weight lifting but will be pretty much bang on for most other activities, especially ones like you mentioned: walking and Zumba.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've only had mine a week so far, but it has helped me understand better HOW much I am burning and how much I am eating in a day. Because of it, in the last week, I've lost more (only 1.5 lbs) than I have in the last few months. It's more accurate than my FitBit was and easier to deal with than my HRM (Polar FT40).

I didn't want to spend the money, but for now it's been worth it. I have a better understanding on things.
  • Mag1913
    Options
    Thank you all for the input :smile: I know when I started doing zumba the burn count I figured out when I googled a zumba burn calculator, because MFP didn't offer zumba as a cardio exercise. MFP now has it in the exercise area, but my burn is roughly 570 and my friend who used the zumba fitness from MFP has her burning 800+ (big difference if you ask me) and when I do my zumba I am a puddle of sweat and put about 120% into my workout, just doesn't seem right the difference!!!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I have one but I don't use it anymore, it isn't very accurate when you do exercise. It's great if your main form of exercise is running or walking but it doesn't log calories burned during weight lifting or riding your bike. Kind of useless for me in the end...

It won't be accurate for Zumba either, the only accurate calorie burn you will get is from your own HRM.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I love my BodyMedia! I started losing weight in January with only MFP, guessing my calorie burn and having no idea what I was doing. I bought BodyMedia in February and learned so much about myself.

I set a goal to walk 15,000 steps/day. It has been a huge help tracking exercise and making me aware of what I was doing and what I should be doing.

Not only that, I always thought I got 8+ hours of sleep every night. Nope, my average is around 6 hours a night! I realized my sleepiness throughout the days in the past wasn't from any medical condition but instead just a lack of sleep each night.

You can sync your BodyMedia with reward sites like EarndIt and EveryMove. All of your exercise is turned into points, and you can spend those points on rewards (healthy food, exercise gear/clothes, charities, gift cards, etc).

I wear my BodyMedia every day. It keeps me very motivated.
  • msarobix
    msarobix Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    BigMama,

I have had a BodyMedia for over 2 years, and love it. It really keeps me motivated to read my calorie burn each day.

Tina
    Truly Committed to Weight Loss Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12853-truly-committed-boot-camp
  • fitbum19
    fitbum19 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love mine!! Definitely helps keep you on track and is very motivating when you see how much you burned in a day, especially when you do extra or try something new. Helps you learn about your body and its burnign for sure!! I used it while I lost my last 20 pounds. LOVE it!!!
  • keekee66
    keekee66 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got mine delivered today :) The size isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I bought it very lightly used for only $62, I figure if I really like it I'll buy the Core 2 when it comes out in September. Spent about an hour setting everything up and linking MFP, and pairing with my iPhone. So far haven't run into any problems. I definitely think it will help me increase my activity and steps as I'll want to beat my previous records. Also signed up for Walgreen's Steps Rewards hoping ill have enough steps to get the store credit every once in awhile as an added bonus :)
  • wannabhealthy50
    wannabhealthy50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Is it easy to set up and use?