Macros for low carb diets

Options
I'm going to try a low carb diet. I tend to have problems with carbs. I've noticed that when I eat a lot of breads, pasta, sugars, etc I feel kind of sick and sluggish.

So I wanted to know what kind of macro settings would be good for a low carb diet.

Thanks!

Replies

• Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I do keto- which is max 20g of carbs a day, my macros are set 60/35/5 fat/protein/carbs. Fat will keep you sated for longer than any increase in carbs, protein you don't want to overdo on a low carb diet as it can be metabolised as glucose. It's upto you really but find a balance that keeps you full and feeling good.
  • tonytoo
    tonytoo Posts: 307
    Options
    Your body weight in pounds worth of grams of protein. (if you weigh 150lbs eat 150g of protein)

as little carbs as you want / can (between 50 and 100g is good)

allllllllll the rest as good fat (as little saturated as you can)

BTW: I've been in ketosis for over 2 months and I eat between 50-80g of carbs a day. as low as 20g is not required, but it will start you off faster.
  • Livdoesketo
    Livdoesketo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Your body weight in pounds worth of grams of protein. (if you weigh 150lbs eat 150g of protein)

as little carbs as you want / can (between 50 and 100g is good)

allllllllll the rest as good fat (as little saturated as you can)

BTW: I've been in ketosis for over 2 months and I eat between 50-80g of carbs a day. as low as 20g is not required, but it will start you off faster.

Oh I know it's not required, but I find I stall/ kick out of ketosis at over 25-30g so it's easier to stay under that to make sure I'm losing constantly.
  • Way2slk
    Way2slk Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Try some of these websites for recipes:
    fatsecret.com
    getskinnybehappy.com
    timesavorgourmet.com
    sandyskitchenadventures.com

These are low carbs and high protein so you can burn fat instead of muscle.
  • ebonyroche
    ebonyroche Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    bump for the websites
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Very informative!!!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Here is a good read from a well respectable man in the fitness industry. For those that don't have the time to read it, I'll do a brief summary. It basically says not everyone can handle a high carb diet and that some people respond better on low carbs when losing weight. Low carb diets should be followed up with high levels of fat and he gives you a brief overview on how to find out if you are insulin resistant or insulin sensitive. Another way you can do it that he didn't mention is a Blood Glucose Kit from Walgreens. It's only 10 dallors. Doing the test is easy. Eat some carbs, wait 2 hours, and see how high your glucose levels are. High glucose means insulin resistant, higher than the recommended number in the manual.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/insulin-sensitivity-and-fat-loss.html
  • K8Duncan
    K8Duncan Posts: 3
    Options
    That was very helpful, thank you. Any suggestions of what to eat to keep carbs low and boost iron?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    That was very helpful, thank you. Any suggestions of what to eat to keep carbs low and boost iron?

You can get Iron and keep it low carb by eating red meat :)

Love me a good steak! Hi protein, lo carb, good source of Iron..and absolutely delish with a smidge of garlic butter :)
  • K8Duncan
    K8Duncan Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you!
  • cabeam3
    cabeam3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Bump- Thanks for all the good info!!
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Here is a good read from a well respectable man in the fitness industry. For those that don't have the time to read it, I'll do a brief summary. It basically says not everyone can handle a high carb diet and that some people respond better on low carbs when losing weight. Low carb diets should be followed up with high levels of fat and he gives you a brief overview on how to find out if you are insulin resistant or insulin sensitive. Another way you can do it that he didn't mention is a Blood Glucose Kit from Walgreens. It's only 10 dallors. Doing the test is easy. Eat some carbs, wait 2 hours, and see how high your glucose levels are. High glucose means insulin resistant, higher than the recommended number in the manual.

very informative, thank you.
  • fightingautism
    Options
    I do keto- which is max 20g of carbs a day, my macros are set 60/35/5 fat/protein/carbs. Fat will keep you sated for longer than any increase in carbs, protein you don't want to overdo on a low carb diet as it can be metabolised as glucose. It's upto you really but find a balance that keeps you full and feeling good.

May I ask what sort of fats you focus on eating? I was doing Atkins induction for a while, did great, then I sort of fell off the wagon. I have diabetes and feel MUCH better physically doing low carb. I feel I make poor fat choices, though. I need some ideas.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    this is very interesting to me and I think I am going to join you. ;) thanks!
  • JenCatwalk
    JenCatwalk Posts: 285 Member
    Options

very informative, thank you.

Thanks for postin this.
  • NightingaleBlue
    Options
    Great thread!
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    I'm currently eating 15% carbs / 25% protein / 60% fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Meat.