Is it normal to gain weight when you first start working out

Options
For the past two weeks Ive been working out 6 days a week (sometimes twice a day), Ive been eating healthy, staying under calorie goal, and Ive gain a pound and a half! I don't think my measurements have changed either. Im beyond frustrated! Is this normal? Did it happen to you? If it is, how long does it take before the weight starts dropping?

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes! It takes about 2 weeks. Check this article, it helped me not lose focus: http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You will gain weight if you increae strength exercises and that will build muscle and burn fat when you don't exercise... takes a week or two to notice a difference. You will also gain weight if you don't eat enough to fuel your body so make sure you are eating back your exercise calories. Lastly, you will gain weight if you stress yourself.... you need to give your body a rest to repair itself, you can go for walks, but I would steer away from any strength training or intense cardio for two days a week.

I know what's worked for me. It only took me 2 months to lose my last 8 pounds by incorporating 30 minute daily walks into my usual 5 day a week strength/cardio routine, eating my exercise calories, and giving my body some vacation days including a full 7-8 hours of sleep.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    It's most likely water weight.

It'll start coming off soon.
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This actually just happened to me 2 weeks ago. I just started working out (6 days a week/sometimes twice) and I gained 2lbs the first week. Needless to say, I was devestated. :tongue: But, while I am interested in dropping pounds, I'm just as interested in leading a healthy lifestyle, so it didnt deter me (if anything, it really kicked my butt into gear) and I dropped those 2lbs this week. I plan to continue that trend. :bigsmile:
  • foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    very very normal if you are new to working out. See below from beachbody.com

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.
  • toniharridge
    Options
    I know this is a late post, but thank god I found it!

I have had the same issue, and was starting to worry :-)

Now I feel better and will just keep at it....
  • chamellie1
    chamellie1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same here:)
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    very very normal if you are new to working out. See below from beachbody.com

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

THANK YOU!!!!

This happens every time I've started a new exercise program with weight loss and in past has deterred me. This time I'm more focused and intent, so I'm not letting it, but I still wanted to understand WHY?!?!

Thanks again for the knowledge.
  • MzBLW
    MzBLW Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm so glad that I saw this post! I weighed in today and gained exactly three pounds after starting water aerobics and going 3 days this week. I have never burned so many calories in my life, so imagine my disappointment when I stepped on the scales. My WW leader assured me that it was very normal when beginning a workout regiment. I wasn't 100% convinced :smile: until readng this. Good info! :smile:
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • ajbloomu
    ajbloomu Posts: 16
    Options
    It is very normal. Don't worry it will be worth it!
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat, so yes, it's normal for the scales to go up a bit. Try measuring yourself for a second reference, it'll most likely show that you toned up and lost inches even if the scales don't budge.
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Yes it's normal for me, the two-week weight gain
    I've notice it several times
    :-)
    Don't overdo it , but keep in keeping on
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Yes, it takes me about a month of gaining and losing the same 5 pounds to have new weight loss and start losing steadily. Taking measurements help me see I am making progress regardless of what the scale says. Just don't measure right after a workout sinceyour muscles retain the most water then.
  • MsEndomorph
    MsEndomorph Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    So glad this post was bumped up! I just started working out again a week ago, have been absolutely meticulous about calories (eating my exercise calories back, as well) and was a little bummed that I gained weight. Water retention makes complete sense, though, especially considering the shock my body must be in from sudden heavy lifting.
  • alethea88
    alethea88 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuation is very common. Don't worry about it. I posted the same question in mfp forum when I was just started using mfp. My weight fluctuate from 1-4 lbs. Its just water weight. It will go away in 1-2 days. If you had done some weight lifting, it could be the muscles weight that you gain.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Muscles are heavier than fat, so yes, it's normal for the scales to go up a bit. Try measuring yourself for a second reference, it'll most likely show that you toned up and lost inches even if the scales don't budge.

Ya....not 2lbs of muscle in 2 weeks.

Most likely water retention for muscle repair.
  • ToBeCountry
    ToBeCountry Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Needed to read this today. Just started some classes at the YMCA. I obviously get too scale obsessed.
  • maddawg88
    Options
    I feel so much better after reading this post! I just started going to the gym daily (sometimes twice a day) and counting every calorie and when I got on the scale today, I had gained almost five pounds! safe to say I was freaking out. I know I shouldn't obsess over every pound, but it's hard not to!
  • TeckyL
    Options
    Wow! I just started working out and I've put on 5.6 pounds! I'm devastated!!!! So i'll keep an eye one it and will post again next week to see if it starts leveling out.