Fast food Solutions..

Options
HELP! I need some solutions for fast food for the times when I have to eat on the go.. I dont like many veggies and thats a big problem. Doesnt leave much to choose from.. HELP!

Replies

• Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I try to cook protein on Sundays to grab for lunches during the week - usually a pack of chicken breasts or ground turkey. Veggies are really important, so I'd recommend trying to work them in slowly. For example, you could start by eating baby carrots (really sweet!) with meals/snacks, or making a wrap with some spinach and tomato in it.

My quick lunch is as follows:

1 wrap with:
    Pre-cooked chicken
    spinach
    sometimes other veggies (sprouts, tomatoes, etc.)

baby carrots
    cut-up cucumber (these can be pre-cut up ahead of time as well)
    beans (black, pinto, etc.)

It usually only takes 5minutes (10 if I'm distracted) to grab all this, throw it in plastic baggies or small tupperware containers and toss it in a lunchbag.
  • CudyBug
    CudyBug Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    I loath veggies so I sound likeyou. We eat out frequently and usually I end up with a kids meal. Except wendys, they have a lot of great options. Try going on each website for the places you normally go to and write on a note card what the best options are and how many caloires so you have a quick reference.
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't like veggies either.. lol

I normally will grab subway. 6" ham and cheese (no veggies), toasted is only 330 calories. I normally add in the apples or the chips.

I also grab taco bell when we are out and in a hurry. Their chicken soft tacos are only 190 calories each. I normally eat 2-3 depending on how many calories I have.

I do avoid McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, etc like the plague!
  • AprilVal
    AprilVal Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I loath veggies so I sound likeyou. We eat out frequently and usually I end up with a kids meal. Except wendys, they have a lot of great options. Try going on each website for the places you normally go to and write on a note card what the best options are and how many caloires so you have a quick reference.

Thanks for the suggestion.. I just cant make myself eat Salads.. They look good but I cant do the texture.. And that is a good idea bout the websites.. And kids meals.. Thanks.. :)
  • jnacollins
    Options
    I like the grilled chicken strips and jack in the box, only 240 cals for 4- but they are pretty high in sodium- all the protein in them helps with ongoing hunger too :)
  • janjenva
    Options
    If you have MFP on your phone, use it. I have found myself in several restaurants trying to make good decisions and thank goodness I had my phone. Everything is in the food database so you can make good decisions.

Just the other day, I realized my favorite meal at Red Robin had 2020 calories in just the wrap!!!!!! I quickly changed my meal choice and was very pleased with my less than 500 calorie dinner.

The app on the phone is a great tool so consider using it if you can.
  • AprilVal
    Options
    I don't like veggies either.. lol

I normally will grab subway. 6" ham and cheese (no veggies), toasted is only 330 calories. I normally add in the apples or the chips.

I also grab taco bell when we are out and in a hurry. Their chicken soft tacos are only 190 calories each. I normally eat 2-3 depending on how many calories I have.

I do avoid McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King, KFC, etc like the plague!

Our choices today were Wendy's or Subway and I ALWAYS have subway at work. I work at walmart.. we get a discount so i eat there frequently.. Neither actually sounded good but after eating Wendy's i feel like puking.. bleh.. I hate McDonald's.. and KFC makes me sick.. Burger King, the service sucks at the one in our town so i avoid it..

Thanks for the suggestions.. Never thought of Chicken taco at Taco bell.. Ill have to try that next time.. There Chicken Quesadeas make me sick.. Bleh..
  • AprilVal
    Options
    If you have MFP on your phone, use it. I have found myself in several restaurants trying to make good decisions and thank goodness I had my phone. Everything is in the food database so you can make good decisions.

Just the other day, I realized my favorite meal at Red Robin had 2020 calories in just the wrap!!!!!! I quickly changed my meal choice and was very pleased with my less than 500 calorie dinner.

They dont have the blackberry app yet.. :( sucks.. I will have to log onto the website.. Next time when I go out.. When I have some time to actually think of what I want.. hah.. I need to get me a list of whats ok for me when i do go out.. :) Ill have to make a plan to do that in the near future.. I couldnt believe my "small" meal at wendys was over 1000 calories.. ehh.. I feel like crapola.
  • AprilVal
    Options

They dont have the blackberry app yet.. :( sucks.. I will have to log onto the website.. Next time when I go out.. When I have some time to actually think of what I want.. hah.. I need to get me a list of whats ok for me when i do go out.. :) Ill have to make a plan to do that in the near future.. I couldnt believe my "small" meal at wendys was over 1000 calories.. ehh.. I feel like crapola.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    And if once in awhile you are driving through your favorite fast food place and you want a 1/4 pounder with cheese or the like... go for it. ONCE IN A WHILE. Just the burger, not the fries, and order unsweet tea or water. Eat really well the rest of the day, and you should have no problem with your calorie total. I think in the 105 days I've been watching what a I eat, I've had 1 1/4 pounds, 1 McTasty, and 1 Angus wrap. Guess that works out to about 1 time a month.

L
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    Whopper Jr.s are lower in calories than you would think but I usually go to subway because I can fill up more on the same amt of calories. 6" turkey on wheat can be had for about 270-330 cals depending on your condiments. Also, the 6" roast beef is only about 40 cals more than the turkey I think
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Does your blackberry have an app called calorie counter or something like it...My app has a bunch of different restaurants foods and calories listed and I love using it as a quick reference.
  • mommytantrums
    Options
    I am always on the go and keep a couple protein bars in my purse for a quick snack. I've been successful with losing 1-2 lbs a week although we tend to eat out a few times a week. I eat off the Fresco menu at Taco Bell or a Kid's Meal at any other place. I'm just the opposite... LOVE veggies and loath meats. You have to watch because some of the salads are high in calories. I was shocked when I started looking them up. You will love MFP once it is available for Blackberry. I have the Android app and annoy my family with logging in every little morsel that enters my mouth. lol!
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    I am a vegetarian, and just took a road trip for 2 weeks...so lots of eating out. I mainly did Taco Bell's Fresco Bean Burrito (no cheese on it) with fire sauce, Burger King's Morningstar veggie burger with no mayo or cheese/add mustard, and Subway (I know you eat it a lot) veggie delight sandwich, 6", no cheese, no mayo add mustard on wheat (with all of the veggies). I know that the sodium levels are out of this world, but I think that is par for the course with any processed food!! Does Wendy's do baked potatoes any more? You could do a plain one with salsa (if they have it) and a side salad with half the dressing (lite).
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Oh, and I only managed to put on 1.6 lbs!! So not too bad :smile:
  • moosenbratsmommy
    Options
    i love my veggies lol- brocolli freak here!!!!

anyway, one thing i do if i HAVE to have fast food, i go to wendy's and get a spicy chicken sandwich plain and toss the bun... the chicken is so yummy, 230 cals or something like that!!!! maybe a small fry to go with it if i want to splurge! i had pizza the other day and felt the same way you did... gotta work off that 1300 cal lunch lol

pop some popcorn and munch on that and maybe that will tie you over till you get healthier foods.

cut out the mayo, the bun if possible, smaller fries or whatever... each thing adds up! sorry if i repeated, did actually read all the tips others gave.
  • AprilVal
    Options
    Does your blackberry have an app called calorie counter or something like it...My app has a bunch of different restaurants foods and calories listed and I love using it as a quick reference.

No mine doesnt unfortunately.. :(
  • baker_c
    baker_c Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    What about soup? Do you have a Panera Bread by you? Their Chicken Noodle soup has only 150 calories per bowl. Taco Bell Fresco menu is pretty good and McDonald's wrap with out sauce is good too.
  • AprilVal
    Options
    May I say.. Im going to watch where I eat from here on out.. I feel like crapola.. Still.. :( ehh.. Bad choice from Wendys.. That darn uncooked bacon.. :( ehh.. blah.. I almost wish id get sick to get it out of my system.. My stomach is killing me..
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sometimes the salads at those places are as bad as the sandwiches. Definitely look it up online if it's a place you know you'll end up going. Also, remember that some things you'd normally skip might fit your diet if you cut them in half. Just don't do the greasy stuff all the time.