Best Way to Build Shoulders?

Options
I was not blessed with shoulders like James Caan, and have little hope of getting there. What exercises will help me most in trying to make square shoulders out of round ones?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Not sure if trolling....square shoulders?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    sounds like a posture alignment issue rather than a building one. Try raising your shoulders up to your ears and then slide your shoulder baldes down your back and bring them closer together on your upper back.

You should feel an opening in the upper chest and perhaps even feel a littel more confident.

How's that - has that squared your shoulders?
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    SQUARE shoulders?

If you are indeed serious about building mass / sculpting your shoulders:

Military / Shoulder Press
    Anterior Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Rear Delt Flys
    Upright Rows
    Clean and Press
    Arnolds

Be sure to stretch before and after. FORM is key. Shoulders are injury prone.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I tend to find that wearing shoulder pads makes my shoulders appear square under neath clothing.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think Carlos is right. Posture is a lot of it. And then, yeah, then you just lift using the exercises harlanJEN noted. That is a pretty extensive list, as far as I know.
    Good luck
  • Samiamy2k
    Samiamy2k Posts: 50
    Options
    Thank you for your answer- I'm not sure why so many thought I was trolling? Am I the only one that wants to try to develop parts of my body that I find inadequate? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions- I do appreciate it. FWIW, I"m using "square shoulders" as a description- I understand one can't change one's basic physiology.
    SQUARE shoulders?

If you are indeed serious about building mass / sculpting your shoulders:

Military / Shoulder Press
    Anterior Raises
    Lateral Raises
    Rear Delt Flys
    Upright Rows
    Clean and Press
    Arnolds

Be sure to stretch before and after. FORM is key. Shoulders are injury prone.
  • Samiamy2k
    Options
    I'm not quite sure how that would work in a t-shirt?
    I tend to find that wearing shoulder pads makes my shoulders appear square under neath clothing.
  • Samiamy2k
    Options
    Why does that strike you as trolling? Am I the only person you've run into that wants to develop their shoulders?
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Not thinking you are trolling.

For me, I had a chronic muscular pain in my right front (anterior) deltoid and thought I had strained it maybe doing shoulder press, but it always went away after stretching the muscle in something like the yoga Gomukhasana (Google it?). This showed up that in my work I tend to be working to the front a lot, typing and leaning over a desk and needed to address my posture whenever I could.

Also, in the West, I think we tend to close ourselves in and not open up our chest as it is seen as a sign of arrogance or being pushy. Even now it feels strange to remember to open my chest and let the shoulder blades nestle down the back where they should be in correct alignment.

Weight training will help of course, but you have to be working from a sound foundation and use good form.
  • airen123
    airen123 Posts: 149
    Options
    Upright rows with dumbbells is what works for me.
  • gretchenynguanzo
    Options
    Doing rows with TRX bands is pretty amazing. I'm a fan of suspension training in general. :) You could really be a rockstar and put your feet against the wall and lay down on the ground, and then pull yourself up on the TRX bands. Mold those shoulders and build strength!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why does that strike you as trolling? Am I the only person you've run into that wants to develop their shoulders?

Because shoulders aren't usually referred to as squared? They are usually capped off...
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your answer- I'm not sure why so many thought I was trolling? Am I the only one that wants to try to develop parts of my body that I find inadequate? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions- I do appreciate it. FWIW, I"m using "square shoulders" as a description- I understand one can't change one's basic physiology.

You did a poor job of explaining the problem, hence the nature of the responses. It would help if you had posted a picture. Also, built shoulders tend to look round, not square.