Psychology of "eating back calories"

Options

Replies

• Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I am lazy, I like to be lazy. I hate the thought that I HAVE to "work out" so I don't.

I get my exercise in the form of walking to/from work and doing some hiking on the weekends when I have time. Since my activity varies from day to day I modify the TDEE plan to work on my sedentary calories and then eat back everything (every scrap!) When I know that I will have an event or something extra where food will be involved I go for a longer walk to accommodate the extra calories. The only reason I work out at all is so I can eat more.

I have no desire nor motivation to become an athlete or spend the rest of my life having to go to a gym. If I want to have desert I go for a walk then I have desert. Otherwise, I am content with doing as little as possible while watching the weight come off.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    After taking every prescription (and OTC) sleeping pill available for years, my doctor PROMISED me that if I exercised regularly, I would sleep better. I took her up on it and I will never, ever turn back. I quickly learned that you can't eat a burrito then go to the gym expecting to get a great workout, so my diet changed too. My friend recommended MFP and I used it to see if maybe I could lose a few lbs. One year and 30 lbs gone, I am sleeping like a giant baby and am in the best shape of my life, and this process has convinced me that I need to go back to school to be a Registered Dietitian.

I never really got sucked into the numbers and "eating back" calories. I kept in mind that what I eat is fuel for my next workout and it helped me make good decisions. I think I ate most of my calories back and my weight loss was pretty steady, and what MFP said it would be (1lb loss per week, etc). I think you run into problems when you eat more than what you're logging, you exercise less than what MFP calculates, stuff like that.
  • SarahRea32
    SarahRea32 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For me, exercising a lot is the thing that makes it possible for me to eat at a deficit and lose weight without feeling hungry or deprived. I know part of the party line here is that weight loss is completely or mostly about the food component, but not for me. I feel that I owe most of my progress to exercise.

^^^ This - I love food and I am always hungry. i also Love to exercise (which makes me hungrier!). Adding in my calories burnt means I'm less likely to binge because I have more leeway to eat the foods I want to eat and to eat enough to keep up with the exercise that makes me feel so good :-)
  • FitMrsR
    FitMrsR Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    These are my answers for when I used the MFP method of logging exercise calories. I never ate back my calories and I got quite obsessive about exercise. Often doing 3-4 p90x and insanity DVDs per day to get my burn higher.

I'm intrigued - Does this work for you in terms of motivation? Yes (if you mean motivation to exercise)

Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food ? No because I exercised to get a bigger deficit. I didn't eat more than I would have if I didn't exercise.

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it ? If i did 'overeat' then absolutely yes, yes, yes!

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ? Yep

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ? I really didn't overeat because I know how hard I'd have to work to eat the calories back

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ? No, I didn't enjoy food anymore to be honest.

Now I do the TDEE minus % method and log my exercise as 1 calorie. This way I eat more, don't feel as guilty about taking a rest day, and don't feel obsessed and like I need to burn 1000 calories per day. It doesn't work for everyone but its better for me.

Edited for typos
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back ALL of my exercise calories.

Today alone I have 800+ Zumba class later ( had to pick the peas before I went to bed)

I may take hubby out to eat this weekend and not wory about it :)
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Rodents are awesome
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    The baseline is "eat to lose weight."
    Exercise to eat more and maintain muscle while losing fat.
    Over time I have learned to adjust what I eat based on what my workout plan is for a given day.
    I don't obsess over carbs as much as I did a year ago. I have found that when I "accidentally carb loaded" that my muscles felt better doing a swim longer than 4km. So on Sunday morning, when I plan on seeing how far I can push my distance, i add a big home made waffle to my breakfast. On the day I plan to shoot for 10km, I'll have 2.
    If I did not eat back exercise calories, there would be days I run a 4000 calorie deficit. That is not healthy. The body starts cannibalizing muscle rather than burning fat.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I also do the TDEE so do not "eat back my calories" since they are included in my numbers. I exercise because it makes me feel good and for no other reason. I enjoy to see my muscles develop and see definition forming. Everyone one does their own thing for their own reasons.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food? - Not at all

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it? - No, but I might plan ahead. I dont do the usual exercises (running, bikes, gym etc) becasue I dont enjoy it, but will walk the dog before going out for a party or if I had a business lunch that wasn't planned for.

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ? - No, exercise fits my lifestyle to allow me to eat more of what I want.

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ? - No, I don't overeat.

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ? - I guess you could say that I follow this, but it doesnt feel like it. I dont allow exercise to rule my life by the same token that I dont let food rule my life. I like the ability to see the balance I am striking, and use this balance to live the lifestyle I want.

MFP works for me - it's simple!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food ? not at all

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it ? no, if I have a day where I'm over, I just try to be a little under the next day. I never punish myself for choices I make

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ? Not at all, I think I have found a healthy balance that works for me

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ? I try to exercie at least 5-6 times a week because it makes me feel better, not to accommodate overeating

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ? no, I don't necessarily enjoy exercise but I love the way I feel when I'm done and to me, that is the reward

So far, the MFP method has been working for me. I've logged around 160 days and I've lost 39.6 pounds. I've had some days where I've been way over and days where I've been considerably under. For me, this journey has been a learning process for sure and it's more about balancing my life and changing my habits than "dieting". Good luck!!
  • Armyantzzz
    Armyantzzz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    It's all about being aware....:wink: We don't have to go overboard with any activity....:tongue: We should always be aware of what we do,,, how we do it... and the desired result.:smile: With an understanding that we are human and accountable.:wink:
  • stamfordjules
    stamfordjules Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely "eat them back", they are your body's fuel! Yes exercising does mean you can then eat more but there is a culture shift that is important to embrace. Once you have found an activity you enjoy (for me it is running) you see the extra calories as nutrition to fuel your amazing new life style. Don't get me wrong I still drink a few glass of wine or bottles of beer and eat curry regularly, but in much more moderation than before because I have decided respect my body.

“Make a choice. Just decide what it’s going to be, who you’re going to be, how you’re going to do it. Just DECIDE!" (Will Smith)

I've been over weight and yo-yo dieting for 25 years. I much prefer to use my earned calories and for the weight to come off slowly and stay off than going back on that very vicious and soul destroying cycle.

Julesx
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I understand the math(s) and that MFP set a deficit without exercise and expect you to log exercise and eat the equivalent number of calories.

I'm intrigued - Does this work for you in terms of motivation?

Do you feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel trying to earn food ?

Do you punish yourself for overeating by racking up some exercise calories to neutralise it ?

Do you resent having your exercise efforts wiped out by "eating back" ?

Are you driven to regular exercise to accommodate your overeating ?

Or is the extra food a reward for something you enjoy doing anyway ?

I use the TDEE - 20% method combined with the rule of thumb method -- eat somewhere between 1400-1600 cals daily.

No, I don't feel like a rodent in an exercise wheel

No, I don't punish myself for overeating

No, I don't think in terms of exercise efforts being wiped out by "eating back."

No, on the motiviation to accomodate overeating, and no, I don't treat food as a reward.

I understand if people deploy any of the above as strategies to manage their weight/fitness efforts, (except for punishing oneself for 'overeating,")but for me, it's best to keep it as straight forward as possible moderating the relationship between exercise and calorie consumption. I'm 60 yrs old and cycling 20+ miles daily, and weight training 3xs a wk give me a great deal of personal satisfaction and 'happiness" independent of my calorie consumption. I have more years behind me than in front of me and I make the most of them physically (from a "fitness" perspective), psychologically, and spiritually.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Exercising is kinda like working over-time for time-and-a-half pay. Sure, I don't always enjoy working late or on the weekend, but yeah, I really like the bigger paycheck.

That's what exercise is to me, it's a bit of extra effort that pays off BIG TIME.
  • battyg13
    battyg13 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat back my exercise calories, it feels wrong and like Im undoing any hard work. But then I do have a tendency to obsess over numbers....

Too true.

I never eat back my calories either as i eat to account for my exercise.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    In the beginning, it was a big motivator to me - more more, eat more - no brainer. Never resented eating back the calories, never saw it as punishment. Over time, getting some sort of activity in every day (or most days) became just part of my lifestyle. It's a bonus if my calories come out on target or a little under target because of a good calorie burn but I also don't stress too much if it doesn't. What's important is that I'm providing good and proper fuel for my body and moving it to keep fit.
  • AtwaterD
    AtwaterD Posts: 18
    Options
    For me I have a tough time staying under calorie goal unless I exercise. I don't look forward to days where I don't get a chance to exercise because I know I will be 100-200 calories over. On the days I do get to exercise, I know I will have calories left over at the end of the day - and that is the way I prefer it. I don't consciously "eat them back" - having 2 or 300 left at the end of the day is awesome.
  • sjcook23
    sjcook23 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If I eat back my exercise calories, I don't lose weight; which doesn't make sense, because if I am still under the calorie goal, then I should be in deficit by the end of the week.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It gives me a realistic idea of what importance exercise has in a balanced healthy lifestyle. I don't see eating as a reward for exercise or exercise as a punishment for eating. I see eating well and exercising regularly as two sides of the same healthy coin. And I realize that without exercise my food intake will be so limited that there will be no way for me to maintain that way of eating without feeling deprived. But I also realize that if I don't eat enough I won't have the energy to do the exercise I've come to enjoy.
  • mamosh81
    mamosh81 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    i dont eat back my exercise calories since i dont have a HRM and MFP likes to over estimate but i dont sweat it when i eat over my set amount during the days i work out so i am usually 200-400 over what my calories should be without working out