Need help with calorie intake!

Options
coral_b
coral_b Posts: 264 Member
I honestly have no idea what calorie intake to aim for! Help would be very welcome.

I have used calculators and get such variations:

1) BMR = 1,374 calories/day
2) RMR = 1454
3) TDEE = 1765.

I'm not doing vast amounts of cardio yet as i've been having chest issues that are being looked into at hospital. So any calories I do burn on top of normal day-to-day are simply a bonus. I've been sticking to 1200 for 4 weeks and have only dropped 2lbs of what I re-gained. So frustrated!

Side note- recently started a new contraceptive pill.

Replies

• HelenaSophia
    Options
    If you are unhappy with the weight you lost on the 1200 cals/day diet, then eat less. It's as simple as that
  • Siegel15
    Siegel15 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Coral, it is likely the contraceptive pill. It can mess with weight loss. Google it and see.
    You should be able to lose on a 1200 cal diet, slowly withnout exercise. Can you do light walking? My husband had a stent put in his artery and can only walk slowly, but he walks all the same.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you are unhappy with the weight you lost on the 1200 cals/day diet, then eat less. It's as simple as that

Holy cow - do not listen to this person! The solution is not always eating less. In fact, in most situations, the solution is to eat more. 1200 is the minimum # of calories most women should consume so since that doesn't work for you, some of the following will:

1) Eat at least your BMR - not sure if you realize this but BMR is the # of calories your body needs for basic function as if you were in a coma. You eating less than this means your body is holding on to fat stores because you're not giving it enough through food, which is the exact opposite of what you want.

2) ETA: sorry, I misred about your activity levels. Once you do get active again, please do eat back those earned calories. In the meantime, do what you can. It is possible to lose weight without being active but getting active is good for your health. Only go by doctor's orders though, don't push it while you're having these chest issues.

3) Remember water weight - if it's that time of the month or you've had a some high sodium days or even if the weather is rediculosly humid, you're probably retaining water and it's not "real" (fat) weight. Drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake and be patient.

You mentioned changing BC pills recently, this may very well have something to do with it as well. If you're on any meds for those chest issues, they may have an impact as well.

With only 20 pounds to lose, your goal should only be 1/2 pound per week. Trynig to lose faster than that is unhealthy and unrealistic and you'll likely keep gaining it back. Focus on healthly eating and fitness and the weight loss will follow.
  • cmstraut
    cmstraut Posts: 15
    Options

Holy cow - do not listen to this person! The solution is not always eating less. In fact, in most situations, the solution is to eat more. 1200 is the minimum # of calories most women should consume so since that doesn't work for you, some of the following will:

1) Eat at least your BMR - not sure if you realize this but BMR is the # of calories your body needs for basic function as if you were in a coma. You eating less than this means your body is holding on to fat stores because you're not giving it enough through food, which is the exact opposite of what you want.

2) ETA: sorry, I misred about your activity levels. Once you do get active again, please do eat back those earned calories. In the meantime, do what you can. It is possible to lose weight without being active but getting active is good for your health. Only go by doctor's orders though, don't push it while you're having these chest issues.

3) Remember water weight - if it's that time of the month or you've had a some high sodium days or even if the weather is rediculosly humid, you're probably retaining water and it's not "real" (fat) weight. Drink lots of water and watch your sodium intake and be patient.

You mentioned changing BC pills recently, this may very well have something to do with it as well. If you're on any meds for those chest issues, they may have an impact as well.

With only 20 pounds to lose, your goal should only be 1/2 pound per week. Trynig to lose faster than that is unhealthy and unrealistic and you'll likely keep gaining it back. Focus on healthly eating and fitness and the weight loss will follow.

Yep, you summed up most of what I was going to reply.

Be careful not to eat too little in the day because that could also harm you. The suggestion by most nutritionists is to stay around 500 calories of your BMR, no more or less (if you are not active). Anything more and it can cause other issues.

Most ppl has mentioned that BC can effect weightloss. You should talk to your doctor about this. BC has a common side effect of weight gain, remember some BC are tricking your body into thinking it is pregnant.

Also, with so few calories to loose your goal should be 0.5 lbs per week. Less weight to loose means it will take longer to get there. Remember this is a life change and not a quick fix.
  • doriharvey
    doriharvey Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I agree with the ones who say don't go below 1200 calories. Esp the advice given to you below:

" You mentioned changing BC pills recently, this may very well have something to do with it as well. If you're on any meds for those chest issues, they may have an impact as well.

With only 20 pounds to lose, your goal should only be 1/2 pound per week. Trynig to lose faster than that is unhealthy and unrealistic and you'll likely keep gaining it back. Focus on healthly eating and fitness and the weight loss will follow. "
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options

Lol, yes denying your body calories to live can help you lose weight. Bad advice though.
  • coral_b
    coral_b Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys- i'm getting so frustrated. I've kept up strength training and walk everywhere. Going to up my water intake and see if this helps. I've lost a little but gone up inch's;so could be a slight bit of water retention.
    Introducing small bits of cardio as my chest improves- If I aim for the half a pound a week and see where I end up.
    May try upping calories to BMR.