Digital Scale Suggestions???

Options
I recently purchased a $7.00 Taylor Mechanical Scale at Target. It has been doing ok, but I've noticed that I have to "reset" the dial all the time (it falls below the zero and I have to increase it back up). I am beginning to think it is not giving me an accurate reading because it was stating my weight being between 215-219. I weighed myself on a digital scale this past weekend and it read 209.6! (I am very happy by the new reading)

I would like to know if there are any scale recommendations out there. Nothing too crazy expensive, but something that is solid, reliable, and ACCURATE! :)

Thanks so much!

Replies

• austinartgirl
    austinartgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Tanita scales are best, but costly. I paid around $100 for mine. But they're super accurate . It weighed me exactly the same as the scale at my weight watcher meetings.
  • happily
    happily Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have the same scale and have to reset it every time I use it. I notice the Zero line moves constantly through the day. I figured it had something to do with ambient temps or moisture levels.

I'm a lot happier with the weight I get from the Wii, but I'd picked the bathroom scale as the "official" weigh-in scale. I may have to investigate this as well....
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have noticed the Weight Watchers scales to be accurate. I have several different friends with them, and when I weigh at the different houses...they are all the same. Good to know! =) You can find them for as low as $25 at Wal Mart.

Good luck!
  • KellieMcMurdy
    KellieMcMurdy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I personally hate the scales with dials ... they drive me nuttier than I already am. I recently bought a Taylor digital scale on eBay I paid like $10 total for it. The one I had before it was a Taylor digital and my Mom also has a Taylor. I think I've seen them at Wal-Mart and Target for about $20.
  • jdsouthernbelle
    Options
    I got my digital scale at Bed Bath & Beyond for like $35 and it has lasted a couple of years now.
  • pink_and_shiny
    pink_and_shiny Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    In the same vein, does anyone now know if digital scales have an expiration date? Like, how long can you regularly use a digital scale until it starts becoming unreliable?
  • DanitaM
    DanitaM Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I bought a Taylor digital scale at Target for $20 it is very accurate and consistent. =D
  • EastEndEric
    EastEndEric Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My wife and I have the Weight Watchers scale that - once programmed with your sex, age and height - will measure weight and calculate Body fat (in lbs and in %), Body water, bone mass and BMI.

We love it and I track all the above in a spreadsheet I made to watch my progress. I've been strength training at the same time as losing weight, so it's nice to see the body fat going down, although the weight sometimes stays the same as I put on muscle. This has also pointed out to me that I'm constantly dehydrated (thus need to up the glasses of water).

Our scale is the model is the Weight Watchers (by Conair) Glass Body Analysis Scale (WW67T) retailing at Bed Bath and Beyond for 50.99 (don't forget your 20% off coupon from the mail). The toe-operated buttons have proven somewhat difficult to sometimes get to work (makes it hard to program it), but I'll never go back to a run-of-the-mill scale again.

Good luck!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I also have an analog scale. I paid $10 at Walmart when I got my first apartment. I just make sure to fix it and that it's on "0" before I step on - no biggie. I do know it's 2 lbs off (I put a dumbbell on it) so I just add 2 lbs to the weight it says I am...
  • raymj61
    raymj61 Posts: 142
    Options
    I have a Health O Meter. I think it was $17 or $19 at walmart. I never have to reset it and it seems very accurate. Allegedly within .2 or a pound.
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    shoot i have the cheap-o digital scale from walmart. i love it and have not had any issues....
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a health o meter as well from Wal Mart, it was $35. Does 4 profiles, so my hubby and I each have our own, it remembers us, and our goal wieghts, it tells me how much I've lost since last week, my BF%, Bone Density, Hydrqation level (though I'm skeptical about all fo those, so many other factors are at play there). I just love that it tells me exactly how much I've lost every week, no math involved! :)
  • oonafey
    oonafey Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a simple Weight Watchers scale that I bought at Costco about 3 years ago. It seems to be accurate, but I don't weigh myself anywhere but home. All it does is weigh, it doesn't do anything fancy. I think it was around $30.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    I have a Taylor digital scale that I purchased at Walgreen's about 4 years ago for about $20. I always get on it just before going to the doctor, wearing the clothes I will have on when I weigh there. It always agrees with the doctor's office scale, so I think it is accurate. Also, you can step on and off multiple times and it will always weigh the same.

The scales with spinning dials drive me nuts because I have to wear my glasses in order to read them, AND I have doubts about their accuracy.

BTW, I was in Kohl's last week, and saw a Taylor scale similar to mine on sale for less than $25. It reads in increments of .2, whereas the scale I have only reads in increments of .5.
  • Firefiter
    Options
    I have the Tanita model that tells you all of your body stats based on the age and height. It is accurate and weighs to the .10 of a pound. It will hold 4 people in memory with a "guest" setting also. It was a little expensive at Bed, Bath and Beyond, but I used the cost of the scale as incentive to really do weight loss right. The numbers are big (I think that's so you can't turn away and pretend you didn't see them) and easily read. Good luck!
  • hellokatee
    hellokatee Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I bought a Taylor scale from Target for $20. It is digital and seems very consistent. Just try the next model up. :)