Your favourite black bean recipes

Options
LadyZephyr
LadyZephyr Posts: 286 Member
I need some ideas for black beans as I've never cooked with them before. Mine are of the dry variety, not canned, or however else them come. Suggestions, go! :D

Replies

• coco3382458
    coco3382458 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am making a black bean burger tonight. Cant wait

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/homemade-black-bean-burgers
  • frugalafterfifty
    frugalafterfifty Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I never really had success with dry beans getting soft enough until I started pressure canning them. Now I'll buy bag beans and can them to eat later.

Following along for recipes. I do love black beans and put them in stews, chili and soups. There's a recipe for black bean brownies I'be been wanting to try for a long time.
  • Chaosrose8
    Chaosrose8 Posts: 39
    Options
    Cuban style black beans are amazing. You can find tons of recipes online, but this is a pretty basic one.

http://www.eatliverun.com/cuban-black-beans/
  • bgtoepfer
    bgtoepfer Posts: 23
    Options
    Soak them over night, then cook them in a crockpot with hot salsa and diced onion. Make some brown rice. Take some rice and black bean mixture, put them in a warm whole wheat tortilla, add a little shredded cheddar cheese and ta da! black bean burrito!

Save any left over beans and rice for the next day. Add chopped red/yellow/green pepper, some cajun seasoning, and some spicy chicken sausage (if your a carnivore) and you have a tasty filling meal!
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tcaton88
    tcaton88 Posts: 11
    Options
    Had black bean burgers last night for dinner. They weren't too bad at all. I would say to spice up the recipe a bit to add some more flavor!
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My Black Bean Brownies !
    1 Can of Black beans rinsed and drained
    1/2 Cup unsweetened coco powder
    1/2 Whole wheat flour or reg flour
    1/2 Cup Sweetener( I used splenda)
    1 Teaspoon baking soda
    1 Teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 Mini chocolate chips
    Pinch of cinnamon and instant coffee(Optional)

Pre heat oven to 350. After you drain the beans, place them back into the can along with vanilla and cover with water.( adding vanilla makes them smell less bad after they are pureed.) Then place them in a blender(I used the bullet) and puree until smooth. Next Add flour, coco, sweetener, soda, cinnamon/coffee. Mix together then add chocolate chips and bean puree.
    Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray and pour batter. It goes into the oven for 23- 26 minutes. The top when done should have crackles. When done let cool for 10min in pan then 10 min out of pan. Cut into 12 (I cut mine into 6 bc I always end up eating 2) EAT! My favorite way to eat these is with a teaspoon of Peanut butter and sprinkled with ALOT of cinnamon
    Nutrition info soon.
  • JustineMarie21
    JustineMarie21 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Nutritional information for 1 brownie.
    Cal- 89
    Fat- 2g
    Carb- 15g
    Salt- 161g
    Protien- 4g
    Fiber- 4g
  • literatelier
    literatelier Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Chilled black bean salad! Sooo delicious in the summer. I usually eat a cup of it (about 200 calories) with a can of tuna or salmon for lunch. This recipe makes a ton of it, so you'd probably want to halve it. I used canned beans, but you can just cook the beans and throw them in.

2 15oz cans black beans (low sodium)
    2 15oz cans kidney beans (low sodium)
    1 15oz can corn
    1 7oz can corn (I didn’t want toooo much corn!)
    1 green pepper
    1 red pepper
    1 small container of cherry tomatoes
    1 avocado
    1 cup loosely chopped cilantro
    ½ red onion
    Salt to taste (I added about 3 tsp)
    Chili powder to taste (also about 3 tsp)
    Juice from 3 limes

Drain most of the juice from the beans, but leave a little for flavor. Drain all the juice from the corn. Chop up the peppers and onion finely, dice the avocado, halve the tomatoes (or however you want to prepare them, the recipe is completely flexible). Then just mix everything together and chill for a couple hours before serving.
  • Angimom
    Angimom Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    bump for later, I will also post some recipes!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    My favorite is: take one can of black beans well drained and rinsed or equivalent of dried beans that have been soaked over night. Add one can of pinto beans well drained and rinsed. In a skillet add EVOO and diced up red onions. When slightly clear looking dump in your beans. Then add a can of chopped up artichoke hearts. (use the ones packed in water not oil) add about 2 tea spoons of curry powder and the juice of one lemon and use the zest as well. Just run the lemon over a microplane over the pot. Add about a fist full of freshly chopped parsley and Cilantro right before its finished. Stir in the pot till evenly heated and then eat. Even my kids love this and they used to hate beans.

You don't have to use Cilantro if you don't like it. A lot of people don't care for it. But the Lemon juice is a must. I would not recommend skipping the lemon.
  • msheldon88
    msheldon88 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My favorite is: take one can of black beans well drained and rinsed or equivalent of dried beans that have been soaked over night. Add one can of pinto beans well drained and rinsed. In a skillet add EVOO and diced up red onions. When slightly clear looking dump in your beans. Then add a can of chopped up artichoke hearts. (use the ones packed in water not oil) add about 2 tea spoons of curry powder and the juice of one lemon and use the zest as well. Just run the lemon over a microplane over the pot. Add about a fist full of freshly chopped parsley and Cilantro right before its finished. Stir in the pot till evenly heated and then eat. Even my kids love this and they used to hate beans.

You don't have to use Cilantro if you don't like it. A lot of people don't care for it. But the Lemon juice is a must. I would not recommend skipping the lemon.

This sounds a bit kooky, I think I have to try it!
  • Pixilox
    Pixilox Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To quick cook dried beans, put them in a big pot of water and boil for 5 minutes. Take them off the heat and let them sit for one hour, drain, then boil them until tender (usually 30-40 minutes depending on the bean type). I make this bean salad weekly (I use orzo instead of rice):

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2011/09/confetti-rice-and-bean-salad.html
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    This is very filling & satisfying!

Cuban Black Bean and Potato Soup

Serves 4

1 onion, diced
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, sliced
    6 cups cooked black beans, low-sodium if canned
    Water
    1 tablespoon ground cumin
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
    Bay leaf
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3 small potatoes, chopped
    Diced red onion for garnish

Sauté the onion, peppers, and garlic over medium heat until they are soft. Puree the onion, garlic, and peppers, creating what is called a sofrito. Add about half the beans and puree these with the sofrito plus enough water to create a semi-thick soup. Return this to the pot and add the remaining ingredients (except the potatoes and garnish). Bring the soup to a simmer. Add the potatoes and continue simmering until they’re soft. Remove the bay leaf (or eat around it). Garnish with diced red onion.

Making It Simple: Forgo pureeing the onion, garlic, and peppers and simply leave them intact in the pan. Next, add 1 16-ounce can vegetarian refried beans and 2 16- ounce cans black beans instead of pureeing the beans as called for in the standard recipe. Add enough water to create a semi-thick soup and proceed as normal.
    The Gourmet Touch: Use white balsamic vinegar instead of white wine vinegar.

Per serving:
    ◾Calories: 407
    ◾Fat: 1.9 g
    ◾Saturated Fat: 0.3 g
    ◾Calories from Fat: 3.9 g
    ◾Cholesterol: 0 mg
    ◾Protein: 20 g
    ◾Carbohydrates: 80 g
    ◾Sugar: 5 g
    ◾Fiber: 26 g
    ◾Sodium: 254 mg
    ◾Calcium: 208 mg
    ◾Iron: 7.5 mg
    ◾Vitamin C: 63.4 mg
    ◾Beta Carotene: 475 mcg
    ◾Vitamin E: 0.7 mg

Source:21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart by Neal Barnard, M.D.; recipe by Jason Wyrick of the Vegan Culinary Experience.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    black bean and couscous salad. you use couscous, a can of black beans, halved cherry tomatoes, sweet onion, corn, red and green bell pepper or hot pepper too, cumin, olive oil and lime juice and cilantro. soooo yummy. I don't have the quantities can probably find online though.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you had chocolate cake in mind but I made a chocolate black bean cake for Christmas and no one in my family could even taste the black beans. It was kind of a hit if I do say so myself. This recipe is actually flour, sugar, gluten, and dairy free.

The recipe's at http://healthyindulgences.net/2009/05/healthy-chocolate-cake-with-a-secret/
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    bump
  • Liz_Mfp
    Liz_Mfp Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for starting this topic about Black Bean recipes.
    I have a lot of dry Black Beans
    :-)