New clothes

Options
ken_hogan
ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
Good morning!! I was just curious of what others do when it comes to getting new clothes, specifically new pants, jeans, etc.? Other than the pants 'being loose', at what point do you wait to buy new ones? One or two sizes? Depends on your specific speed of weight loss? I bought myself a new pair of jeans & jean shorts a few weeks ago and they are already feeling loose, but not to the point yet that I need the next size smaller from them.

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    If you like them enough or if they were expensive enough, it'd be worth it to get them taken in by a seamstress/tailor.

Mostly I buy at Goodwill/Salvation Army or consignment shops. The clothes are still in pretty good shape (mostly, you do need to check carefully for stains/damage) and cost a fraction of what you'd pay in a regular department store.
  • mikeatmichael
    mikeatmichael Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Most pants sold today can't be taken in by a tailor. If they can you'll find a vertical seam in the center back of the waistband. If the seam's not there they can't be properly taken in.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I just recently went to goodwill to get a couple pairs of jeans. I was starting to have trouble keeping my one pair of jeans up even with the help of a belt. I had been wearing said jeans since I was around 220lbs (188.6lbs as of yesterday) and they were starting to look a tad bit odd. Mostly I've been wearing $10 sweatpants with a drawstring in the waist band, because I have expensive (to me at least) jeans in my closet from before I gained weight and I really don't want to waist money on clothing I'm not going to be in very long.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Luckily I kept a pair of jeans and jean shorts from the last time I was one size smaller so at least I have them on standby! I did put them on over the weekend and although they buttoned okay, they were still just a little too snug to wear all day.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I need new clothes badly. I am trying to hold off until I go on vacation next month and hit the outlets up. I just have had no desire to shop yet. All of my clothes are so ill-fitting now.
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I just gave away big bag of my big clothes to someone, it's so nice to see all those big sizes going away :)
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    When my clothes start feeling really baggy or start falling off my butt when I sit down, lol. I only am buying inexpensive clothes right now. I don't plan on being in them this time next year so I am not going to waste money. If there is something I really like then I will get it but usually not. Hoping around this time next year I will be able to splurge a bit more :) I also still keep my old clothes for working outside in the yard as I move down a size.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I lucked out. I "borrowed" some clothes from him for a while.
    Now I am shrinking out of the, too. For now I am in the "shorts" season. I wear shorts to work from April to the end of October. (Than God for a rather loose definition of "business casual.")
    Come fall I will have to buy a couple pair of jeans lest my flat front jean start looking like pleated pants. Hay, there's an option for you.
    So the extra material in a way that makes them look like pleated front. :bigsmile:

As for shirts, when they hang like a mu-mu, it is time for down sizing.

I actually tuck in my shirts now. I spent decades wearing them out. Thought I was hiding my immense girth :laugh:
  • wizbeth1218
    wizbeth1218 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I was just curious of what others do when it comes to getting new clothes, specifically new pants, jeans, etc.? Other than the pants 'being loose', at what point do you wait to buy new ones?

Congrats on undergrowing your clothes! :)

I have always hated belts, but now they are part of my everyday wardrobe. A new belt (or a new hole in an old belt) is a whole lot more affordable than a whole new wardrobe.

I have also been very fortunate to have local and MFP friends who have generously shared their undergrown clothing with me. That has been a life-saver, AND it has helped me find all kinds of new styles that I never would have bought for myself.

It's probably easier for a woman, since we have so many more options for fits and styles, but when I do buy new clothes I try to get things that are just a smidge too small, knowing that in about 2 weeks I'll be wearing it comfortably. I also set a ceiling on what I am willing to spend on new clothes. Based on my budget, I try to spend only $10-$15 per item, max.

But seriously, others who are losing weight who have passed on their clothing to me have been the biggest help. Maybe you can reach out to your MFP friends' list and see who might have something that will work for you, and you can pay it forward by sharing your too-big clothes with someone who's ready for that size?

Again, congratulations! This is a great problem to have! :)
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I was lucky to have a whole bunch of great dresses and blouses that I saved from when I was smaller, but I didn't hold on to much in the way of jeans or trousers. So for jeans and trousers, I hold out as long as possible (basically until they're falling off me), then I just buy a pair or two to get me through. So far I've only bought two pair in the last year, but am desperately in need of another pair or two, as I've shrunk out of those. Belts are a great help, so is any sort of stretch in the fabric.
  • Deloresbolt
    Deloresbolt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Luckily I kept a pair of jeans and jean shorts from the last time I was one size smaller so at least I have them on standby! I did put them on over the weekend and although they buttoned okay, they were still just a little too snug to wear all day.

Here is what I do, I go to ARC and Goodwill and get clothes that fit. Also, when you get smaller again, you don't feel as bad about spending $5.00 compared to $35.00 or up on new jeans, shirts, pants, etc.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I was just curious of what others do when it comes to getting new clothes, specifically new pants, jeans, etc.? Other than the pants 'being loose', at what point do you wait to buy new ones? One or two sizes? Depends on your specific speed of weight loss? I bought myself a new pair of jeans & jean shorts a few weeks ago and they are already feeling loose, but not to the point yet that I need the next size smaller from them.
    I was folding over my pants by several inches and putting a belt around them making it look like I had a giant penis in the front.

One of the guys in my class told me I think it's time you buy something that fits you...

The next day I wore something tighter...my spandex...when I got home I was looking at this:
    13599033_6169.jpg
    Since strangers were telling me to buy new clothes and my spandex were looking more like jogging pants, that's when I went to the second hand store and bought a million outfits for 10 dollars.

I found that I could wear my new jeans under my old pants:
    IMG_20120408_170850.jpg <-those are the ones I was folding over.
    IMG_20120412_185338-1.jpg <-the jeans that were inside
  • krc99080
    krc99080 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    This time around I have clothes from when I was smaller so it's just a matter of shrinking back into them. The first time I lost weight I would wear belts and try to make the clothes last as long as possible. I did lots of Clearance shopping and Goodwill. I didn't care so much about looks but fit until I was ready to stop and then focused on my new wardrobe. I like to keep one nice fitting outfit for an occasion which calls for dressing up.
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Surprised no one said this yet, go to the thrift store. I have a ton of new (to me) clothes. I see it as inexpensive transitional clothing.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have just exhausted my smaller clothes that I had kept, so I have been going in to buy one pair of capris, a pair of dressier pants that can be worn day to day, as well as acceptable for the office (not as formal as they should be, but I have cleared that with my boss) and a couple cheaper tops. I just went again on Friday cause my husband told me my clothes looked terrible. When he gives his blessings to me shopping, I jump on it! lol

I did however find the same pair of dress pants that I loved in the next 2 sizes smaller, since they were on sale I bought them both!
  • Marilyn2303
    Marilyn2303 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We have a really good chain of used and sometimes new clothing store here. I've been shopping there for my whole weight loss journey. It's been great, you don't go around in too big clothing. As I've lost weight I went in and bought smaller stuff then getting rid of the big stuff Shirts are $3.75, pants are $4, skirts/shorts about $3.50 and dresses under $9.
  • krystle1001
    Options
    Invest in like one pair of nice jeans after the belt wont hold the bigger jeans up, but I suggest maybe hitting up a thrift store or second hand shop for a bulk of your clothes while your still in the process of losing the weight. Its much cheaper to by clothes from a thrift store if you plan on losing more. And maybe get yourself a nice pair of jeans in your goal size, so you have something to look forward too! Good luck on your journey and congrats on all you've already accomplished so far!
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    When my clothes start feeling really baggy or start falling off my butt when I sit down, lol. I only am buying inexpensive clothes right now. I don't plan on being in them this time next year so I am not going to waste money. If there is something I really like then I will get it but usually not. Hoping around this time next year I will be able to splurge a bit more :) I also still keep my old clothes for working outside in the yard as I move down a size.
    Same here. I'm only buying "cheap" summer clothes- I don't like spending a lot of money on summer clothes anyway. I plan to be at my goal weight in the fall (my favorite season) and I will treat myself to a nice wardrobe then.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have a closet FULL of clothes just waiting for me to shrink into them. Several sizes. That said, I'd be headed to the thrift shop if everything I owned was my current size. Happy shopping but don't spend too much.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Congrats on losing weight !

I kept on wearing the clothes for awhile, but then they started looking like clown clothes :laugh:

Give away/donate stuff that's OBVIOUSLY too large ....... get a full-length mirror & try everything on ...... WHEN IN DOUBT, THROW IT OUT ...... and someone else can benefit from you losing weight ! If there's a second-hand "gently-used" shop nearby, get just a few items to see you through. And some things can be "taken in" at the tailor ...... but that may backfire ...... I spent $$ to have my favorite blazer taken in, and now I never wear it, go figure LOL

Enjoy the adventure !
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!