How Fast to get Fit?

Options
Kaypix
Kaypix Posts: 72 Member
I have been riding my bicycle to and from work between 2-5 days/week for the last month. I'm riding a Raleigh Misceo 2.0 hybrid bike on our local city trails and it is 7 miles each way to and from work, the long way is 15.2 miles each way. Last week I managed to ride every day at least one way, had to drop our car off for some maintenance, but that's neither here nor there.

My question is this: If I am able to maintain this , how long will it take for me to start noticing weight loss and overall fitness? I have noticed my heart rate has dropped a bit since starting (I wear a HRM and it's 155-170bpm now, used to be 162-175bpm or so), my legs are way less jell-o-ey, and my lungs have finally started to improve. Also, my speed started as 12.2 MPH and I'm up to an average of 14.4 MPH now, so woohoo! for that! I'm very happy with the little goals I've achieved, but now I'm getting greedy and want to know what ELSE will fall into place.

I'm 28 year old female, 191 lbs. I'm trying to keep my net calories around the 1300-1700 range. Pant size is 16, shirt size large.

Replies

• FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    That s a hard question to answer. Everyone is different and weightloss and fitness isn't exactly linear. Weightloss can be fast at first and then slows down the closer you get to your goal. Enjoy the journey and don't rush things. The journey is just as important, if not MORE important, than the destination. Find what works for you.
  • Kaypix
    Options
    Thanks for your reply!
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Well, you are already seeing fitness improvements, aren't you? You heart is not having to work as hard and you have increased your speed. Congratulations! I took a quick look at your food diary. Although you are not tracking sodium, at a quick glance, it appears you have a very high sodium intake. You could be holding onto a lot of water weight. Are you drinking a lot of water? If not, you should be. It really helps. The bike riding is great exercise, bit you might consider adding some different exercise to your week. Suggest incorporating some resistance training. Good luck!
  • sugaree1202
    sugaree1202 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you're already improving your fitness level. Weight loss takes time - 1-2 pounds a week is healthy. Our state are pretty similar, I'm 30, 5', 188, eating 1,200 - 1,500 calories to maintain a 1,000 calorie deficit.

It took me a month of cardio, 6 days a week, plus strength training 3 days a week to get my overall fitness to a point that I can maintain my heart rate at 82-85% of max for an hour of intense cardio without feeling like I'm going to die. During that same month, I lost and gained the same 3-5 pounds most likely due to water retention in my muscles but dropped an average of 6" off my body weekly. Now in week 5, I'm finally having new weight loss and have visible definition in my arms.

I would definitely suggest adding strength training, especially for your arms, back & core since your legs are getting a nice workout already. Your core is too but some extra toning won't hurt. You'll see results quicker in terms of inches and clothing size. Muscle burns more calories than fat so weight loss will happen a little quicker if you tone up. Don't worry about getting bulky - women don't have testosterone in the same levels as guys.

Good luck!
  • Kaypix
    Options
    Thanks so much for your feedback :) I'm going out of town for 10 days, but bringing my bicycle (yippee!) and am gonna be holding a 2 week old baby a lot, so might use him as my weights for a bit ;)