Squat VS Deadlife

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Squats...you get the most all around benefit and most bang for your buck. Dead-lifts are more fun though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Squats. I don't understand the benefits of deadlifts.

they work different muscles...hamstrings, lower back, etc. plus, they are very functional for when you have to lift something heavy off the floor in real life.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I would hate to give up squats though, I'm good at those. Probably coz I'm only 5 foot 7, so I don't have much distance to sit down\back up..
    I'm tall and have legs for days... I feel like it takes me forever to squat down!

Deads. Although I'm currently on lifting restrictions from both :grumble:
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I enjoy doing deads more, but given the choice, squats.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I like deadlifts more, but I think squats might be slightly more beneficial.

Same here. I do squats because I feel I have to, whereas I enjoy doing deadlifts. I would love to go to the gym and ONLY do deadlifts. They do wipe me out though. And make me hungry.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    squats.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Deads feel more natural, and I can move bigger weight.
    But if I had to commit, I'd do squats, since they give the biggest bang for the buck.
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Squat. You have a much better negative rep than you get from a deadlift. Going down on a deadlift is awkward at high weight, which is why you rarely see heavy deadlift rep schemes featuring high volume per set.

My deadlift is significantly higher than my Squat, but that doesn't make it a better exercise. Also, although the DL gives significantly better lower back development, the squat gives better time under tension to a greater mass of muscle. In other words, the squat will give you more.

Having said that, it's not like either of these is a bad choice, but the question is somewhat ridiculous. Build time into your workout to do both (whether on the same or on different days). These lifts should be a primary focus for anyone who lifts and who doesn't have some kind of significant injury issue that they're overcoming.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Deadlift if I have to choose.
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    I love deads I can lift more than my body wieght! But I'd have to pick squats.
  • operation_cute
    operation_cute Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    deadlift :) all though barbell squats are a full body workout (bar on shoulders, abs stabilizing, and of course legs) the deadlift is a more intense full body, not to mention it gets heart rates up really quick for that extra burn:) but honestly why choose? :flowerforyou:
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Squats even though i can deadlift more than i can squat.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I like the deadlift more, because it's easier. Which probably makes the squat better for me.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I love squats, I'd give up the deads in a second! The deadlift motion does not seem natural to me - I keep having to watch videos to make sure I'm doing it right. Maybe it will get better when I have less bulk in my midsection, and can lift more (aka a bigger diameter plate). The girls & the belly tend to get in the way when I have to get all the way down to the floor :ohwell:
  • RichOC
    RichOC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There's just something about a good deadlift. Squats are great too. If I had to choose one I'd have to go with deads because they help keep my bulging disc in place in my low back and if I go too low in squats I limp for a month and a half because I need major ankle reconstructive surgery.

I think my favorite after a good deadlift is when your hearing kinda cuts out a bit, you start feeling light headed, and there's that moment you think maybe you should sit down, just in case you pass out.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    I would be willing to give up deadlife. Vampirism kinda sucks.

I'm still going to do both of those exercises though.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    :angry:

I wont choose!!!

It's just hypothetical Crank...c'mon...just pick one.

I would choose squats.

NO!

^^^ this

it's like asking a mother to choose which child she wants to keep and which child she wants to give away.....
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    double post/browser gone crazy
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I have much more fun doing deads. It's a much more natural movement for me and moving all that weight is very satisfying.

That said, if I could only choose one, it would be squats.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    bicep curls... j/k deadlifts, that was an easy one for me