Half-marathon advice!

Options
So, after running 5ks for a while, I've signed up for my first half! This morning I ran 12 miles and felt pretty good afterward, so I guess it's time to start slacking off and giving my body a break. The run is in 12 days (July 6). I'm a little nervous, and have been worried that I'm doing everything properly.
So, a few questions, from a first time half-marathoner:

1. What are good things to eat going forward? I feel like if, at this point, I can't push myself anymore I should probably really be filling my body full of carbs and super healthy foods? Drinking lots of water? (note- I normally drink around my 8 cups of water per day and don't snack, but typically eat whatever I want during meals. Terrible, I know.)

2. What do you eat, if anything, the morning of the run? What about energy gels or powerbars to take WHILE you're running?

3. I plan to take it easy until the race, but maybe take a few days this week to work on pace. What's a good time for 13.1 miles? This morning, Nike+ gauged me at 9:45 minutes per mile for 12 miles. Will this put me close to the middle of the pack, or will I be trailing??

Thanks for any help/advice! I'm super excited, but obviously a little nervous about being on point.

Oh...happy Summer!

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is for a race is do not eat/drink anything before or during that you didn't do while training. You don't want to find out on race day that the new food doesn't interact with you body. Since you are asking about gels/powerbars for during the run, I am guessing that you haven't trained with them. I highly recommend (I prefer gels) and maybe you can try on on a 5-miler later this week. But be cautious with anything new.

I have a sensitive stomach and it took me a while to find a watering and Gu strategy that works. Partly because there are so many variables such as weather/heat. And a lot of races have too many water stops - it is easy too drink too much and feel it slosh around.

Most people recommend not worrying about time on your first race. At the pace you did your 12-miler you should find yourself right in the middle of the pack. There are a lot of runners in the 9-10 minute range. Those are the largest pace groups in my local running club.

Good luck with your first half and hopefully many more!
  • AliBuffer
    AliBuffer Posts: 9
    Options
    Aww, thanks for this! You're absolutely right, I haven't used them at all. But I've been told you need to take SOMETHING with you to snack on. I'll check out the gels later this week. Thanks for giving me your input. It looks like you've ran quite a few! You inspire me!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    You don't really need to eat during a half. I also agree that if you haven't trained with it, I wouldn't add it. Same thing for morning of food. Eat what you normally do.

Around here, that pace would put you middle of the pack. It will depend on the race and how many are there.
  • AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Have a pasta party the night before ;)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    GU is the most well known and has kind of fallen into the generic term for gels. I find it to be to thick and over sweet but a lot of people like it.

Hammer Gel is the brand I prefer. It is not as thick as the GU and the flavor is not as over-powering.

Cliff makes a gel that is closer to a syrup than a gel. It is also not offensive tasting.

Island Boost is what several of my gluten-free friends recommend. They swear by the effectiveness and lack of belly issues from IB. I have never tried it.

FRS chews are NASTY! I tried one and spent the next mile trying to get all of it out of my mouth. In pictures you can see a trail of it running from my mouth and across my check from trying to spit it out.

As was stated, try them out on training runs before hand. I usually take one gel at the 10 mile mark of a half which is a little bit over an hour.
  • squirrell79
    squirrell79 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last month and am no expert. But, I will say that if you haven't trained with the gels on your long runs, I'd be wary of introducing them at this point. A half isn't long enough to *need* gels for most people, but lots of folks (like me) just get plain hungry. So I personally ate a tiny pouch of Welch's fruit snacks around mile 8. :-)

I also over-indulged in lots of carb-o-licious foods the week before, but honestly, old school carbo loadning isn't necessary. I was just doing it because I love pasta. Yes, eat your carbs, but there's no need to eat a trough of spaghetti the day before.

BEST of luck and have fun!!
  • txbandman
    txbandman Posts: 78
    Options
    Running my first HM this Saturday, so I was glad to see your questions and the answers from sjp.
    Rather than gels, I have been taking gummi LifeSavers with me on my long runs (a suggestion from someone here on MFP), just to replace some of the sugars I burn during over an hour of running. I think that's great if you want to try the gels some this week, but honestly, I'm thinking that if you didn't need them on your 12-mile, you probably won't need them for 13.1.
    Please let me know how yours goes - I would be happy to have you add me as a friend so we can compare notes on our HM experiences.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I will add that I am fat and slow, so I use GU on runs that are 10 miles or longer (8 miles if it is hot). During half marathons I will have a half pack of GU at miles 4, 6, 8, and 10. So I end up going through 2 packs during a half. I can't stomach a whole pack at once, but many other people do. I always take GUs with water as do most of my runner friends. I didn't start experimenting with GUs until my 4th or 5th half and I noticed a difference. My legs don't feel as heavy/sluggish at the end. I also skip the Gatorade when I have GU which is great for me because I don't like too much liquid sloshing around in my stomach.

Again, good luck with your first half. It is a great accomplishment!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    So, after running 5ks for a while, I've signed up for my first half! This morning I ran 12 miles and felt pretty good afterward, so I guess it's time to start slacking off and giving my body a break. The run is in 12 days (July 6). I'm a little nervous, and have been worried that I'm doing everything properly.
    So, a few questions, from a first time half-marathoner:

1. What are good things to eat going forward? I feel like if, at this point, I can't push myself anymore I should probably really be filling my body full of carbs and super healthy foods? Drinking lots of water? (note- I normally drink around my 8 cups of water per day and don't snack, but typically eat whatever I want during meals. Terrible, I know.)

2. What do you eat, if anything, the morning of the run? What about energy gels or powerbars to take WHILE you're running?

3. I plan to take it easy until the race, but maybe take a few days this week to work on pace. What's a good time for 13.1 miles? This morning, Nike+ gauged me at 9:45 minutes per mile for 12 miles. Will this put me close to the middle of the pack, or will I be trailing??

Thanks for any help/advice! I'm super excited, but obviously a little nervous about being on point.

Oh...happy Summer!

my first half was june 1st. already looking for my next half (in the fall).

1) the week before i made sure i didn't eat anything that would give me an upset tummy and i made sure i stayed hydrated. at the advice of many other runners on here i did go for a short run a few days before (short run was wednesday; race saturday).

2) morning of the race: i ate a half bagel with peanut butter and a banana plus had a gatorade an hour before the race. i did bring along an extra gatoraid gummy and was glad i did - ate that around mile 10.

3) while i made sure to train on different surfaces (my race was on gravel, dirt road and pavement) i wasn't able to train for the hills (i live in an area where there are very few and my race was in a very hilly part of of my state). soooo what does this even mean you ask? my time was WAY off. while training i was running 11:30-45 mm but the day of the race i ended up with 13:00 mm. heat played a factor as well. try not to focus on your time. for me it was running for as long as i could without stopping (got to mile 9 before i had to walk).

4) CELEBRATE AT THE END! good luck!
  • gabequinn19
    Options

I would suggest trying to eat as healthy as possible- nothing like eating junk for a week then trying to run!

The morning of a run I generally eat oatmeal or a banana. Really depends on how long the run is, but I don't deviate from my routine. For instance, any runs above 10 miles I eat oatmeal or a bagel, I wouldn't change that on race day. I use GU or powergels, but if you haven't been training with them I would advise against it. You don't want to suprise your body on race day with new things.

I agree with the previous comment- don't worry about pace on your first half...you'll have plenty of other races to worry about that :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    1. What are good things to eat going forward?
    Don't do anything different. Just make sure and get plenty of rest and eat as healthy or non-healthy as you always do.
    Don't do anything different than you normally do. I have something light but still yummy. A couple of waffles with syrup, some fig newton cookies, and nearly always a cup of cold coffee. I use Cliff gels during the run but you really don't have to have them. I take one around mile 5 and mile 10.
    I'd still do a fairly good distance this weekend but don't go as far and go as slow as you can on this long run. Do a few shorter very easy runs with some strides at the end but don't do anything too challenging the week of the race. Your pace looks great. Just stick with that for the first 10 miles and see how you feel at the time. Keep it the same or pick it up if you feel better.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    At 12 days before the race, don't do anything different. I wouldnt even take gels or anything. You don't need them. Eat what you havebeen before runs.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Don't start out too fast..Don't start out too fast..Don't start out to fast...and finish STRONG!!
    Your HM pace is awesome, by the way...good luck and have lots of fun :-)
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    If you felt good during your 12 miler - do everything exactly the same. I never eat any gels or anything during a half.
  • mjpTennis
    mjpTennis Posts: 6,165 Member
    Options
    ^Stick to what got you through the 12 miler. I usually start the morning with a bagel and peanut butter, coffee with butter in it and that will usually do it. I am also running my first HM in 3 weeks. Enjoy.....start slow...start slow...finish strong.....
  • donrdon
    donrdon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    The morning of my half I stick with what works for me before every long run, cheerios and a cliff bar. I used gels for the full but not the half. But I concur with everyone else though, DO NOT have anything you haven't already used successfully. Experiment during your next training session.
  • AliBuffer
    AliBuffer Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you all so much! And best of luck to those who have HM's and marathons coming up!
    I'll do like most of you suggested and not do any gels or change-up my normal routine. Your advice is much appreciated! :)