Eggs

Options
Probably a stupid question to most people BUT is it absolutely necessary to skip the yolk when eating an egg and only eat egg whites? Also why? I mean I will do it I wont eat the yolk. Just wondering why most people say to just eat the egg white.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't know who these "most people" are, but they're wrong. If you are solely trying to up your protein and trying to avoid powders then egg whites are an option, but the yolk has most of the nutrients. I eat at least 2 whole eggs a day and often more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks got a bad reputation back in the dietary cholesterol witch hunt days.

Eat the whole egg, the most nutritious part is the yolk and there is no proven link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254465.php

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/dont-just-whites-4-reasons-eat-whole-eggs-214400607.html
  • Tw1zzler
    Tw1zzler Posts: 583
    Options
    The yolk is full of nutrients! I eat 2 whole eggs + 1 egg white (for extra protein) every morning. My dog gets the extra yolk.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    I eat the yolk. The whole egg is only 75 cals! Why neglect the most nutritious part? Nobody has a calorie goal so low that an extra 40 calories makes that much difference.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    Oh good! I really like the yolk and I want to eat it! I'm not going to skip it then.
  • Shaavo89
    Shaavo89 Posts: 68
    Options
    I eat the yolk. The whole egg is only 75 cals! Why neglect the most nutritious part? Nobody has a calorie goal so low that an extra 40 calories makes that much difference.

That's what I was extra worried about! I wasn't sure exactly how much the calories were in it! I didn't realize it was that nutritious... I read something online that said egg whites only and have heard of a lot of diets that say no yolk as well
  • reach4thestar
    reach4thestar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs too.....I had a question though...how many eggs can we have per day? Is there anyone having 4 to 5 eggs?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy or medical condition, I don't see why you can't eat the yolk.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's not a stupid question. If people would just question these so called health and fitness experts, I don't think the industry would be such a mess.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I am pro-yolk
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I eat the egg as nature intended .... yolk haters scare me :indifferent:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Egg yolk it's a beautiful thing
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I eat the whole egg, sometimes more than 2 a day and I get blood tests every 3 months. My cholesterol is fine.
  • Christina8585
    Christina8585 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've gone back and forth on eating the yolk or doing say 3 egg whites and one whole egg.
    Honestly, I prefer the egg white, so I usually separate. It's true that the yolk has nutrients. I like that the egg whites are low calorie though.
  • Lift_Run_Eat
    Lift_Run_Eat Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I try to eat the yoke. I especially love eggs with runny yokes, but they do not like me. I will eat them for a few days until my stomach says no more, then only eat whites for a while.
  • CaitlinAmburn
    CaitlinAmburn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand why people want to cut calories so they get rid of the yolk. HOWEVER, eggs have a great balance of nutrients and are way better to get 70 calories worth of eggs than 70 calories worth of potato chips. I say, EAT THE YOLK! :D
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks got a bad reputation back in the dietary cholesterol witch hunt days.

Eat the whole egg, the most nutritious part is the yolk and there is no proven link between dietary cholesterol and serum cholesterol.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254465.php

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/dont-just-whites-4-reasons-eat-whole-eggs-214400607.html

Egg-zactly!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I try to eat the yoke. I especially love eggs with runny yokes, but they do not like me. I will eat them for a few days until my stomach says no more, then only eat whites for a while.

Egg-ception
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    I've gone back and forth on eating the yolk or doing say 3 egg whites and one whole egg.
    Honestly, I prefer the egg white, so I usually separate. It's true that the yolk has nutrients. I like that the egg whites are low calorie though.

Egg-stremely undecided.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 whole eggs too.....I had a question though...how many eggs can we have per day? Is there anyone having 4 to 5 eggs?

I have up to 6 eggs a day on good days : )