Please explain

Options
Ok I weighed myself at 226 lbs, did an hour of strength training, nothing to eat or drink, weighed myself after the workout and gained .4 of a pound. Can anyone tell me why this happens?

Replies

• elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Muscles in recovery tend to retain water.

Also - this is a really interesting article about why we weigh more before we go to sleep and less when we wake up. Sort of shed a bit of light on the whole natural fluctuations thing for me!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/06/19/193556929/every-night-you-lose-more-than-a-pound-while-youre-asleep-for-the-oddest-reason?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130621
  • Lammerchops
    Lammerchops Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Sure, since you say you trained in a fasted state, it's porbably water. Water is an important part of muscle recovery and body stabilization after weight lifting. Water is being stored in those muscles and in your cells while the repair process is underway.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Yes, while you were working out all the germs from all the equipment attached themselves to you and they weighed the extra .4 lbs.

OR

Whenever I have been scale shopping every scale has had minor fluctuations like that and I've gotten on the same scale up to 20 times consecutively with various readings that vary even wider than that. Apparently according to the guy at Target....Walmart has an accurate one. I don't go to Walmart. Ever.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Since you had nothing to eat or drink between weigh-ins, I'm going to go with your scale as the culprit. Still, that's only a .4% difference — most bathroom scales aren't much more accurate than that.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Muscles in recovery tend to retain water.

Also - this is a really interesting article about why we weigh more before we go to sleep and less when we wake up. Sort of shed a bit of light on the whole natural fluctuations thing for me!

http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2013/06/19/193556929/every-night-you-lose-more-than-a-pound-while-youre-asleep-for-the-oddest-reason?utm_source=npr&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20130621

Interesting, probably why I weigh less (usually .5-1 pound less) after working out as well.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Another test.... move your scale. Weigh yourself in your bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, basement. I'll bet you get different readings each time. My mom used to weigh herself on a specific floor tile in the bathroom because that's where she weighed 8 pounds less. I told her to buy a new scale.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Sometimes things happen that cannot be explained by our knowledge of physics. These phenomena are often identified as MAGIC!

Or it's the scale, like everyone else said.
  • rburgess7
    rburgess7 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm going with the picked up .4 lbs of germs.
    Thanks