Meals...into servings?

Options
What I've been doing is entering everything I put into the meal (for the whole family) and then saving that meal. Then when I add it to my diary, putting in how many servings I had.

So if it says 1 Meal (and the meal make 4 servings)...in my diary, I would put .25 of 1 meal.

Am I doing this right? I usually cook to feed everyone, so it seems like it would be difficult to figure out exactly what 1 serving would be, and this seems easier. But I tried it just now...and it seems...off.

What does everyone else do?

Replies

• smileyhappygirlie
    Options
    Hello! I am new to this, but what I've been doing is adding meals to my recipes. I enter all the ingredients, then how many it served, then just add the serving to my diary :)
  • losingnow
    Options
    I just asked the same exact question. I am confused too!
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I usually calculate the number of servings based on weight or measurement. We just figure out the total weight or cups of whatever we made and play around with the number of servings until the calories and everything are where we want them. Then turn that into a serving size. I usually make a note in my title of what a serving size is so I can remember if we make it again.

So tonight we made soup. Total was 18 cups so we went with 9 servings of 1 1/2 cups. When I add it to my diary I just add 1 serving (or whatever I ended up eating that day). I think it'd be pretty hard to assume 4 servings because you'd have to eyeball and make sure all were even.
  • jdavis36
    jdavis36 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Haha - You don't want to hear my amswer - but I asked a similar Q to my trainer, and the short answer is to measure, measure, measure!! It's a pain, I know. I cook for a family too, but when it's time to eat - pull out the measuring cup and serve yourself up! Today was turkey breast with musrooms (in lemon juice) over brown rice. I had to seperate the mushrooms and the turkey into a measuring cup, then measure out my brown rice and estimated a half of a fresh lemon. not fun especially when the 14 and 16 yr olds are piling it on!!! Same with any foods, even soup, youn have to seperate and measure each ingrediest to get a good guage. After a while, the 'eyeball' approach will become appropriate. Once you see what a half cup of rice really looks like!!! BOOOO:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I may be out of luck (and my diary a little off). I wish I had the patience to weigh and check my foods, but I know after about a week of that I'd give up on the whole thing and order pizza! lol

I did however figure out WHY my diary looked wrong. I had added the meal to "my meals", Then added my eye balled serving sizes...well going over the meal I realized I left out some stuff, so I added it on (forgetting I was now only working with 1/4 of everything), and then saved and replaced my original meal...and then added it back to my diary at 1/4 a meal..... hope I didn't lose anyone...but basically I was showing that I ate 1/4 serving of 1 serving lol.

I think getting used to all the features on here might take me a while...and I'll have to be more careful. lol