Hrm and fitbit

Options

Replies

• jenf330
    jenf330 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use both and don't find it to be too much work. I got myself really frustrated by all the different calorie calculators out there (TDEE-20%, etc) that kept giving me different numbers. I mean, what exactly is the difference between light and moderate exercise??? Anyway, wearing the Fitbit for daily activity and the HRM for exercise gets me as close to knowing exactly what I burn each day as possible - no more guessing. Since I started using them together, my plateau finally broke and I think it's because I finally hit the right balance in my deficit. Just for reference, I typically eat back between 80-90% of my exercise calories, because I like to leave a little cushion for those occasions when I have to go over.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If its in your pocket how does that work?!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I considered the BodyMedia but wasn't thrilled to have to wear something strapped to my arm everyday. Not very pretty for wearing short sleeve business attire.

Yeah, that is the worst part about it, but BodyMedia is the only device that works for me, personally. I always wear something over it to hide it at work. I would rather not show off my fat arms anyway, lol.
  • bert16
    bert16 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    So what's best a fitbit one or a flex? I like he idea of tracking my activity level with one and I'm on the go at work a lot! Well the flex give silly readings if its on my hand? I'm a teacher and tend to sit down but use my hands a lot when I talk or point to stuff? It seems to be less obvious than something clipped to me though?

I looked into this a lot before I ordered my flex. From everyone I talked to (some of whom had both), it comes down to this:

Do you want the altimiter? If so, get the One (Flex doesn't have it).
    Otherwise, do you want something you put in your pocket or something you wear on your wrist?

That's about it.

The Fitbit One is only worn on the wrist when sleeping... while you're up, you can throw it in your pocket, clip it to your clothes, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia tracks calories burned even when you are sitting, sleeping, or doing dishes. It is meant for daily life, whereas FitBit just tracks active calorie burns.

Tracks, or estimates?

BodyMadia does NOT measure, it estimates.

Sleeping is BMR calorie burn, non-moving and non-sleeping is BMR or RMR calorie burn depending on if the sensors for heat work well for you.

And arm movements totally throw it off, like washing dishes or typing.

But guess what FitBit uses for all non-moving time, your BMR calorie burn. So the difference between BMR and RMR is about 150-200 calories daily. Divide that out by hr of actual non-moving time - and you'll find it ain't that much a hit in the accuracy department.

You might want to read up on some studies of the BMF unit besides their marketing material, it isn't the next best thing since sliced bread.

Hmmm, did peanut butter come before or after that....
  • determined_erin
    Options

Tracks, or estimates?

BodyMadia does NOT measure, it estimates.

Sleeping is BMR calorie burn, non-moving and non-sleeping is BMR or RMR calorie burn depending on if the sensors for heat work well for you.

And arm movements totally throw it off, like washing dishes or typing.

But guess what FitBit uses for all non-moving time, your BMR calorie burn. So the difference between BMR and RMR is about 150-200 calories daily. Divide that out by hr of actual non-moving time - and you'll find it ain't that much a hit in the accuracy department.

You might want to read up on some studies of the BMF unit besides their marketing material, it isn't the next best thing since sliced bread.

Hmmm, did peanut butter come before or after that....

Wow, this is like Mac vs. PC! Who cares? lol I have a preference, you have a preference. The end. :)
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia is the best! I would recommend that device over all others.

Why? I've found my BM Fit to be no different than my FB flex.

BodyMedia tracks calories burned even when you are sitting, sleeping, or doing dishes. It is meant for daily life, whereas FitBit just tracks active calorie burns.

Fitbit tracks the same things BodyMedia tracks. It's not just for exercise. It's meant for daily life too.
  • heybales
    Options
    Wow, this is like Mac vs. PC! Who cares? lol I have a preference, you have a preference. The end. :)

Exactly, and up until that comment you were dissing one because of lack of knowledge on how either worked.

It works well for you - there ya go.

And for Jackson they both worked exactly the same.

And for me, the BMF was worthless.
  • determined_erin
    Options

Exactly, and up until that comment you were dissing one because of lack of knowledge on how either worked.

It works well for you - there ya go.

And for Jackson they both worked exactly the same.

And for me, the BMF was worthless.

Nah, I did tons of research. I bought a FitBit in February and hated it. I got BodyMedia and have been using it for months. I've lost 56 lbs so far. Must be doing something right. :)
  • z4dow
    z4dow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia is the best! I would recommend that device over all others.

Why? I've found my BM Fit to be no different than my FB flex.

Fitbit tracks calories burned even when you are sitting, sleeping, or doing dishes, too: BMR+all day activity (steps, stairs etc)
  • rjbkain
    rjbkain Posts: 9
    Options
    Ah ok so is the fitbit just a glorified pedometer? I was hoping for some thing which would give me a more accurate calorie count so that I could make sure I wasn't creating too much or too little deficit for my goals?

I'm not sure how pedometers work, but that's probably not far from the truth. Accelerometer-based devices (like the fitbit) are, IME, pretty accurate for non-exercise based calories (regular daily life, if you will), but exercise burns are all over the board.

Exactly, which is why the HRM is great for that, which you can use for anything that isn't well tracked by a pedometer. I do boot camp and we do lots of intervals and weight lifting. On an interval day the fitbit tells me I was active for about 10 min (when class is 45 min) on a mostly weights day, it says even less, of course, but my heart rate is definitely up there because we still do some running between sets and things like push ups and squats, which can get your heart rate going. Plus I lift fairly heavy weights.

I just ordered an HRM today to compliment the fitbit and to have a more accurate assessment of my boot camp calorie burn.

Just as an FYI, an HRM isn't likely to be very accurate with things like weights and intervals. They are intended for steady state cardio. Intervals aren't steady state, and weights are neither steady state nor cardio.

Circuit training is cardio. Our weight days are circuits: squats w/weights, lunges w/weights, back rows, push ups, biceps, shoulder presses, triceps and run a lap. Repeat 4 times w/ about 30 seconds in between. I wouldn't bother to wear a heart monitor if I were just doing sets of isolated exercises. Basically, the answer to how do I get my cardio in? I lift weights faster. Plus, my whole body is working even when I'm doing something like a bicep curl--the rest of my body is blocked--has to be to curl a 25 lb dumbbell. Our other days are usually HIIT.
  • ADixie4You2Know
    ADixie4You2Know Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have both. I use a polar ft7 heart rate monitor during my morning cardio. I wear my fitbit from the moment I get out of bed until I go to sleep but not while doing my cardio. I dont really use it for calories burned so much as to track my daily steps and miles walked.
  • mattashbrock
    Options
    Ah ok so is the fitbit just a glorified pedometer? I was hoping for some thing which would give me a more accurate calorie count so that I could make sure I wasn't creating too much or too little deficit for my goals?

I'm not sure how pedometers work, but that's probably not far from the truth. Accelerometer-based devices (like the fitbit) are, IME, pretty accurate for non-exercise based calories (regular daily life, if you will), but exercise burns are all over the board.

Exactly, which is why the HRM is great for that, which you can use for anything that isn't well tracked by a pedometer. I do boot camp and we do lots of intervals and weight lifting. On an interval day the fitbit tells me I was active for about 10 min (when class is 45 min) on a mostly weights day, it says even less, of course, but my heart rate is definitely up there because we still do some running between sets and things like push ups and squats, which can get your heart rate going. Plus I lift fairly heavy weights.

I just ordered an HRM today to compliment the fitbit and to have a more accurate assessment of my boot camp calorie burn.

Just as an FYI, an HRM isn't likely to be very accurate with things like weights and intervals. They are intended for steady state cardio. Intervals aren't steady state, and weights are neither steady state nor cardio.

Circuit training is cardio. Our weight days are circuits: squats w/weights, lunges w/weights, back rows, push ups, biceps, shoulder presses, triceps and run a lap. Repeat 4 times w/ about 30 seconds in between. I wouldn't bother to wear a heart monitor if I were just doing sets of isolated exercises. Basically, the answer to how do I get my cardio in? I lift weights faster. Plus, my whole body is working even when I'm doing something like a bicep curl--the rest of my body is blocked--has to be to curl a 25 lb dumbbell. Our other days are usually HIIT.

I think you are missing the point, which is HRMs might give decent estimates of calorie burn for cardiovascular training, but they fall short (as does every device for that matter) when it comes to weightlifting. Sure circuit training turns your strength training into a cardiovascular activity but even the manufacurer of these HRMs will tell you they are not intended to measure calorie burns for that type of activity. All these devices make an estimate and all are better at one thing vs another. Fitbit is excellent for determining non-exercise calorie burn which is great for people like me who has a desk job. I can figure out how much I am actually moving when not exercising. It is also pretty accurate for running and walking although would tend to underestimate the intensity and calorie burn of the run.
  • avvalynna
    avvalynna Posts: 32
    Options
    My fitbit one keeps me moving. 5 miles a day and 10k steps is my goal! If I dont hit that I know I didnt move enought. My HRM is for cardio exercise but Fitbit one is my life line for movement.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later, have same questions
  • tairaven
    tairaven Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I use both the fitbit and hrm too. I only use the Polar HRM for when I'm tracking a specific "exercise" that day (like walking or running). But, I use the fitbit for tracking my overall activity to make sure I'm active enough throughout the entire day. I set specific step and stair goals, and If I haven't met them I know I need to make a point to move more.
  • maryverg
    maryverg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would not waste your money on a fitbit. My husband and I both purchased them. The fitbits made "funny" little comments, which made it seem more like a toy than a serious exercise tool. Support said we could turn that off if we wanted. It tracked my steps, but not calories burned for doing things like strength training. We found it to track our calories burned while we slept, but one night I did not wear it and I still "burned calories." It is definitely NOT a hrm and does not say it is, but we just felt like it was more like a gimmick and didn't feel that we could trust its output.
    We sent both of them back and demanded a full refund, which we received.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I would not waste your money on a fitbit. My husband and I both purchased them. The fitbits made "funny" little comments, which made it seem more like a toy than a serious exercise tool. Support said we could turn that off if we wanted. It tracked my steps, but not calories burned for doing things like strength training. We found it to track our calories burned while we slept, but one night I did not wear it and I still "burned calories." It is definitely NOT a hrm and does not say it is, but we just felt like it was more like a gimmick and didn't feel that we could trust its output.
    We sent both of them back and demanded a full refund, which we received.

So because you didn't use it the way it was intended someone else shouldn't waste their money on it? And if you thought it would track your calories from weight training then you definitely were using it wrong. As for tracking during sleep.. it' supposed to do that even if you aren't wearing it... it is your TDEE so it estimates based on your activity.

I have both the Fitbit One and a Polar HRM and love them both. The Fitbit gets me moving (and helps me figure out my estimate daily calorie burn) and the HRM is for cardio activities.
  • heybales
    Options
    We found it to track our calories burned while we slept, but one night I did not wear it and I still "burned calories."

Give me your age, weight, and height, and how long you slept, and I can make a pretty decent estimate of your sleeping calories too - and I'm not even in the same house.

BMR / 24 x hrs sleeping.

Hardly has to be on you when you aren't moving enough to matter in the scheme of things.
    10 min total of tossing and turning in 7 hrs of sleep is only 2.4% of the time, and during that brief time, it's not like you are burning a whole lot more.
  • abideedum
    abideedum Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It's probably an unpopular opinion on here but i personally would say that if your using a HRM for when your working out and just want to know how active you are on any given day ignoring exercise i'd buy a cheap pedometer and whack it on. Wear it for a week, see what your average is and then when you wear it and see your significantly below or above your baseline average you can see what type of activity level you had that day.

For example i wore one a lot while i was studying for exams so i could see just how inactive i was while sitting at my desk all day, seeing that i only hit 1300 steps made me get up and go for a quick walk to get it higher for the day. Don't spend a bunch of £or $ if you dont really *need* it.