walking with a stroller

Options
I can't really rely on going to the gym everyday since my husband has to study for a promotion and also joined a softball league which has a practice AND game every week *grumpy* there is also our baby so... yeah getting to the gym AT ALL is a challenge let alone going 5x a week.

I can take my LO for a walk in the stroller but I'm not sure how great that is for exercise? any tips? it's not a jogging stroller and I'm too self conscious to jog anyway.

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Walking is reasonably good exercise for a beginner and it's a hell of a lot better than doing nothing. Pushing a stroller only makes it more difficult, so yes, it's a plus.

As you progress though, consider adding strength training and increasing the tempo of your cardio to something like jogging. I'd also talk to your husband about taking turns watching the kiddo so you can get in some solo workouts. My wife and i do this regularly with our two muchkins.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, that's how I started out.
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    Yes its great for exercise but make sure you don't lean on the stroller for support, this can hurt your back. Keep your body straight and try to keep the stroller far enough away from you so you don't hit it with each step but arm comfortably bent.

And I suggest youtube videos on the right way to walk with a stroller, I did this and OMG did it help! My daughter is in a wheelchair so the only way to walk with her is pushing something. I watched some videos and you sure do feel the small changes!
  • sleivian
    sleivian Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and I am and have always been a single mom, so I usually have to find ways to work out with her. Walking with a stroller is great and you can work up to a little jogging when you are ready. Consider a jogging stroller, I invested in a baby jogger for about $270 and it has been worth every penny- I use it All the time and it navigates around the mall well too. ;) Another thing I did was find a stroller fit class in my city where I could work out with my child and also have other moms around for support. They aren't too pricy and are very common.

Good luck!!
  • HisKathy
    HisKathy Posts: 34
    Options
    My daughter is 4 and I am and have always been a single mom, so I usually have to find ways to work out with her. Walking with a stroller is great and you can work up to a little jogging when you are ready. Consider a jogging stroller, I invested in a baby jogger for about $270 and it has been worth every penny- I use it All the time and it navigates around the mall well too. ;) Another thing I did was find a stroller fit class in my city where I could work out with my child and also have other moms around for support. They aren't too pricy and are very common.

Good luck!!
    I agree with this! Find a Stroller Strides class in your area. It's a great way to get a workout and meet other moms/kids. I got a Baby Trend Expedition stroller at Babies R Us for like $130 so it was very affordable and it's a great jogging stroller if you want to start jogging.