yoga???

Options
I am having bad experiences with working out. I become a really mean monster after working out. My nerves just get shot. That doesn't go well when I have three childereb running around. I thought about maybe trying yoga. I would love to hear some opinions on if yoga really works with losing weight because working out just isn't working out anymore lol. Seems like yoga would be a more peacful rought right? Or am I wrong?

Replies

• bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a fine place to start, especially if you really don't enjoy exercising. There are also some yoga-hybrid programs out there, like Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown. Denise Austin also has one, and you can find it on YouTube. They combine traditional yoga poses with movement, so it gets your heart rate up with little to no impact.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great for flexibility and relaxation but it isn't a huge calorie burner. You'll improve your muscles but not your cardio fitness.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Have you tried changing what you're eating before and / or after your workout? I've never done yoga but I know if I don't eat right, my attitude goes south in a hurry.
  • Jett_05
    Jett_05 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The greatest benefit to yoga and a weight loss routine is being able to rid the body of pain and get greater range of motion to really dive into an exercise routine. Also it allows you to be more conscious of your body and be able to really analyse hunger signals (among many other emotional, physical, and potentially spiritual benefits). Some people swear by high intensity fat blasting yoga but I like to keep my yoga separate from my workout. I feel like it should feel like a really good massage. I'm fond of hatha and viniyoga styles. Sometimes I venture into my roots with Ashtanga (the first style I learned).
  • trbilbao
    trbilbao Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I LOVE yoga and feel I get a really different workout with each instructor. Some days are very mellow and others really kick my butt. It is a weight bearing exercise and I find planks, down dog and other poses really strengthen my muscles.

It is also soooooo relaxing. I feel I get a good workout, stress relief and better focus throughout the day. I started at home with Gaiam tapes ( Rodney Yee) that I bought at Target. I then found a studio and tried different instructors and alternate between butt kicking classes and relaxing ones. By going to the studio, I am not as distracted as when I stay home.

Give it a try!
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I am in love with yoga! It is the perfect balance and it compliments all of the other exercise that I do!
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend yoga as a good addition to a well balanced exercise program. While in class there is nothing else you can think about except focusing on the poses and breathing. There are many many different styles of yoga, however,ranging from Hatha, Ashtanga, hot, power.. Some are a serious workout some are ore meditative. A few months ago I started to re-incorporate Hatha yoga into my routine as my MIND needed a break from the stress of work and working out. It really got me out of my workout rut and back on track.
    With that said, i would try to take at least a few classes at a gym or yoga studio before practicing at home. You want to make sure you get the proper form and technique.
    Other ideas might be walking or hiking (outside without being tuned into a phone or music... Just the sounds of nature). Also Tai Chi and Qi Gong are more meditative and relaxing martial arts practices.
    I love Pilates. It is moving mediation and while, complimentary to yoga, is a great practice in and of itself. I take that once per week... Great for the core, too!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a great wy to learn how to quiet your mind and place your focus where you need it. I wasn't terribly surprised when I started doing Insanity, and saw that part of the stretching routines for warm up and cool down incorporate yoga. It really help you get in tune with yourself.
  • ZenAmok
    ZenAmok Posts: 4
    Options
    I noticed Yoga classes @ my gym on Saturdays and decided to give it a try. I can't say I felt like I had a butt-kicking workout afterwards, but it definitely wasn't easy for me either. I'm at my 5th week and I'm only just starting to relax a bit whereas before I had to watch what everyone else was doing because I had (have) no clue. So, I'm starting to enjoy the class more as I learn what's going on, and spend less energy on trying not to be so spastic, falling all over myself in the back of the room. :-) (As one of the few guys in the class, I have to represent!)

I don't do it to get ripped or burn a ton calories, but rather for my balance and flexibility which have definitely gotten better. I think as I get more accustomed to it, I'll start to get more out of it in regard to relaxation and whatnot, but right now its just balance and flexibility goals.

You should definitely try it and see how it feels for you! Give it a few weeks before deciding one way or another. :smile:
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I would try it. I like it, but it isn't the only thing I do. Are you eating enough? I get grumpy and edgy when I don't. Eating back your exercise calories may help that.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Work out. Learn to control yourself and your emotions.
  • hellokittymaui
    hellokittymaui Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yoga is great! You should try a beginner Pilates class, too. Similar moves, but a lot of good core work.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a fine place to start, especially if you really don't enjoy exercising. There are also some yoga-hybrid programs out there, like Jillian Michaels' Yoga Meltdown. Denise Austin also has one, and you can find it on YouTube. They combine traditional yoga poses with movement, so it gets your heart rate up with little to no impact.

Thanks for that. I didn't realise Jillian Michaels had a yoga dvd
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I am having bad experiences with working out. I become a really mean monster after working out. My nerves just get shot. That doesn't go well when I have three childereb running around. I thought about maybe trying yoga. I would love to hear some opinions on if yoga really works with losing weight because working out just isn't working out anymore lol. Seems like yoga would be a more peacful rought right? Or am I wrong?

Maybe something else is up?
    I've got 2 little monsters running around (under feet whilst I work out sometimes) & afterwards I feel great, lifts my mood. So yeah, perhaps you're hangry? angry because your hungry? Not enough fuel in the tank?
  • bex4health
    bex4health Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I love yoga!! And there are different types. Some are relaxing where your heart rate doesn't elevate, and there are more power yoga classes that give you a workout . I got a series of yoga dvds that I love called APY60 which is a 10 week program. I also head to a studio once in a while. I feel it also relaxes my mind and brings me more peace.
  • clmarlar
    clmarlar Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm eating enough but maybe I'm not eating things that are very filling. I eat healthy things too. After I work out I am tired and being tired makes me grumpy. Thank you guys for all of the advice and motivation! This really helps.