• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Entirely agree
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I love this post!!!!

I am working my way up on the machines and then going to learn how to lift free weights correctly, I can't wait!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • hungryhobbit1
    hungryhobbit1 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    More beautiful women wearing gorgeous clothes carrying heavy things:

woman-carrying-firewood.jpg

ariadne-van-zandbergen-zulu-woman-carrying-beer-pot-zululand-south-africa.jpg?w=400
    (according to the meta description, this pot is filled with beer. :)

sen1_woman_carrying_water.jpg
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'm a climber, and I have a friend that purposefully doesn't climb on harder stuff because she is afraid she's going to get "bulky". She purposefully dampers her climbing ability because of what the boys will think of her.

I say she's missing out on improving in a very fun sport, all because of stupid social stigma that isn't even true. sheesh. I'm so sick of females not living up to the best of their abilities because of what some insecure boys will think!

this is really sad :cry: hope she learns to view other people's insecurity for what it is and goes on to fulfill all her potential in the face of everyone who'd try to bring her down to their level...
  • balibee146
    balibee146 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    well said OP :)
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    zxbXr09.png

:smile:
  • MrsWells1983
    MrsWells1983 Posts: 160
    Options
    By far the BEST thread on MFP!!

Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton
    935368_540363896010195_1388280675_n.jpg

My new fitness icon! Glamour-puss and kick-*kitten* at the same time! Rawr!!!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Love this thread.

I lift, no I don't lift heavy weights, not because I am afraid to bulk up, but because I have injuries.I have always lifted. I actually just bumped up to 20lb dumbbells for chest presses and 15lb curls, I am so proud. It took 10 years to get back here because I have a bad shoulder, but I got here :happy:

Its funny, I live in an apartment building with doormen and when I had a box to carry, oh do you want a wagon, you need help. Yet my 4yo sleeping who weighed more than the box, no offer to help.

Another thing my daughter was a dancer growing up. She would jump and leap into my arms and would catch her. The last time she did this she was 16yo and I caught her and held her.

Being a strong woman does not make you manly, no one thinks I am anything but feminine. I am 47yo and plan to stay strong!!!!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    By far the BEST thread on MFP!!

Abbye "Pudgy" Stockton
    935368_540363896010195_1388280675_n.jpg

My new fitness icon! Glamour-puss and kick-*kitten* at the same time! Rawr!!!

If she's pudgy then I want to be pudgy....
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I rage when girls tell me that lifting heavy things will make them "bulky" as I struggle to add 1/4 of an inch to my bicep...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    OK at least this thread was kinda cool to look at, but seriously I think I see maybe 1 thread/week from a woman with this concern, and at least 25/week by someone trying to tell that one chick how it just won't happen. #obsession
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Love this thread. This is the perspective that really needs to start taking hold! I had a frustrating incident yesterday when I told my friend that I had just started a new lifting program and she would not stop talking about how she couldn't do something like that because she'd get too "bulky". I tried to educate her without sounding like I was all high and mighty, but she wouldn't hear it...*sigh*

Oh well, at least there are a good number of us out there! :smile: Great job OP!
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Love that!
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    OK at least this thread was kinda cool to look at, but seriously I think I see maybe 1 thread/week from a woman with this concern, and at least 25/week by someone trying to tell that one chick how it just won't happen. #obsession

because it's really frustrating to see women refusing to even try something that a) they might enjoy, b) that is likely to improve their health and fitness and c) that has a good chance of helping them to achieve the physique that they want, because of something that isn't going to happen
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    As a farmer - women that cant lift at least one 50lb feed sack at at time = pointless. :tongue:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options

Me too. And it bothers me a little, because it's so anti-bulk - you know, some women just ARE bulkier and/or more muscular, and that really isn't such a terrible thing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

One a week? I see....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025714-squats-and-big-booties (This glourious cluster...)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1026904-bulky-legs
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1027189-arms-got-bigger-from-lifting (Though in her defense the OP didn't mind the bigger arms, but a few other people did pop up with the "I agree, oh noes" train)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1025133-best-way-for-a-female-to-build-muslce (I don't wanna look like a bodybuilder but...)

From the last 20 hours.
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    <- I'm still fluffy but lifting heavy has gotten me these arms and even a new boyfriend!! I do find it fun though to lift a 40lb bag of cat litter at Petsmart and carry it around like it was nothing. It's a great empowering feeling women!!