Low cal pizzas and salads

Options
Katie_Y89
Katie_Y89 Posts: 330 Member
Been trying to be good and have really been wanting some pizza. Googled for some low-cal recipes but none sounded too good :/ anyone have any good ones???
And any good salad recipes??

Thanks!!

Replies

• torims6
    torims6 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Use the "Light, Higher Fiber" English Muffins (the ones I use are 100 calories for one Muffin). Separate the Muffin into two slices and lay out on a baking sheet. Top with pizza toppings and cheese and bake at 425 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes. I had two English Muffins (or four "Mini Pizzas," plus a Small Side Salad with Light Dressing) tonight for Dinner actually... and it was only about 500 calories total.

Also, be sure to go take it easy on the Cheese. A little goes a long way.... If you use a sharper cheese like Asiago, Romano and/or Parmesan... I've noticed you can use less without sacrificing flavor.... but plain Mozzarella still works too! Just a preference!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thin crust homemade pizza is surprizingly low in calories. Salads with homemade dressings are too. The first link is to my favorite thin crust pizza recipe

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ckish?month=201210

or www.MyMothersSecrets.weebly.com has pictures of the same pizza but the recipe is not posted yet.

I considered the cauliflower crust and other alternatives until I did the calories count. My traditional Chicago Style Thin Crust is lower than the alternatives and far more satifying. Lower than than "Jenny Craig" pizza too. Therefore I eat it guilt free several times a month.
  • Christina9388
    Options
    Pizza is the one thing I crave like crazy and have tried several different approaches to factor it into my diet. I have tried the cauliflower crust, which is pretty good, but pretty time consuming. I usually buy a refrigerated whole wheat pizza dough from the bakery section at the grocery store. I roll it really thin and use reduced fat cheese, fresh mozzarella, or goat cheese/feta topped with lots of veggies, and crushed tomatoes with fresh herbs (in place of the high sugar pizza sauce). If you're a big pepperoni fan, try turkey pepperoni, it's much less in calories and fat. I limit myself to pizza twice a month, but when it's made with fresh quality ingredients, you can feel good about eating it!
  • Rosannajo88
    Rosannajo88 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Just top wholeweat pitta with your favourite topping (heavy on the veg!) and a little cheese x
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use a tortilla as the base, some passatta with garlic and oregano for the sauce, then spinach, mushrooms, onions, quorn pieces, low fat cheese. It's around 350 cals, but I sometimes make it higher depending how many calories I have left. I'm not sure if you have this brand where you are, but over here in the UK, there is a goodfellas delizia pizza range,and they are around 320 calories for the whole thing. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I agree about the pitta breads, but for the best tasting, easy pizza I would use a good quality naan bread. Obviously, it's more calories as it's much bigger (my favourite Waitrose tandoor naan is about 400 calories per naan), but you can easily get more than one portion out of it. Or if you are adding low-cal toppings, you might be able to have a whole one for a meal, depending on your calorie goals. I know that using Indian bread in an Italian dish sounds odd, but it's honestly delicious! You need a nice, light naan like the Waitrose one, rather than a bready one.

I find that highly flavoured foods add more taste for less calories, so if you like them you could add things like jalapenos, olives, anchovies, etc. Mushrooms are particularly nice with hardly any calories.
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I use a tortilla as the base, some passatta with garlic and oregano for the sauce, then spinach, mushrooms, onions, quorn pieces, low fat cheese. It's around 350 cals, but I sometimes make it higher depending how many calories I have left. I'm not sure if you have this brand where you are, but over here in the UK, there is a goodfellas delizia pizza range,and they are around 320 calories for the whole thing. :)

OMG! Where did you buy it hun?
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I use the LaTortilla Factory and/or Flatout Flat bread for my pizza crust. The calories for the lighter versions have between 90-100 calories and this is for the large sizes. I use different sauces depending on the kind of pizza: pizza sauce, taco sauce, bbq sauce, steak sauce, etc. Toppings vary to go with the sauce. All of the recipes I've developed are 350 calories or less for the entire pizza.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I make small pizzas with Arnold wheat rounds, toast add toppings and bake, YUM and about 250-300 cals depending on toppings. I always replace pepperoni with Ham.

I also make a wheat crust with 2 cups wheat flour, 1/4 cup wheat germ and ground flax seed mixed. 3/4 of a packet of pizza dough yeast add 1 tbsp Honey and 1 cup warm water with the yeast dissolved in it. Fold through and then roll it out. Bake it 15 minutes on 400, then add toppings and bake another 20 minutes. YUMMY and it comes out amazingly thin crusted.
  • juliehartinger
    juliehartinger Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Flat Outs (a whole wheat wrap) are amazing for pizza crusts. They are 100 calories each and you can put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes and they turn into a crisp cracker crust. I make breakfast pizza with egg whites, Flat Outs, diced tomatoes, onions, avocado, and peppers. You can add meat too. I also use hot sauce on top to give it a little more flavor. When all is said and done, it turns out to be about 190 calories.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thin crust homemade pizza is surprizingly low in calories. Salads with homemade dressings are too. The first link is to my favorite thin crust pizza recipe

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ckish?month=201210

or www.MyMothersSecrets.weebly.com has pictures of the same pizza but the recipe is not posted yet.

I considered the cauliflower crust and other alternatives until I did the calories count. My traditional Chicago Style Thin Crust is lower than the alternatives and far more satifying. Lower than than "Jenny Craig" pizza too. Therefore I eat it guilt free several times a month.

My favorite toppings is turkey pepperoni, tomatoes, onions, red peppers, and pepperoncini peppers. It also has a base of tomato sauce and topped with a blend of mozerella, parmesian, romano, and asiago cheese. A dinner plate sized pizza only has 288 calories so why someone would want to eat a less satifying higher calorie version is beyond me.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Roast or grill a bunch of veggies - peppers, onions, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini and cherry tomatoes with Italian seasonings. Flat out flat bread for crust and a little feta or goat cheese sprinkled on top. Grill or bake.

My favorite salad this week- Spring mix lettuce, fresh blueberries, sliced mushrooms, toasted sliced almonds, thinly sliced red onion, and a maple balsamic vinaigrette (pure maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, olive oil - about 1/4c each, 1 T mustard, minced garlic, salt & pepper, whisked or blended until thickened)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Been trying to be good and have really been wanting some pizza. Googled for some low-cal recipes but none sounded too good :/ anyone have any good ones???
    And any good salad recipes??

Thanks!!

Pizza doesn't have a ton of cals per slice...

But if you want to make your own, use this dough recipe, make a simple tomato sauce and then top with whatever toppings fit your cals

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/2012/03/no-knead-pizza-dough
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I have been hooked on my own make at home pizza lately.
    I use the Fold It Artisan Flatbread (the kind that you are supposed to fold in half for one sandwich)
    I take two of those and cut each of them into two (where the fold is supposed to be)
    I use two pices of Laughing Cow Light Herb and Garlic cheese and spead those on.
    I then put on Turkey Pepperoni (4 slices per pizza, so 16 slices in total),
    Pineapple tidbits (I use one cup because I like a lot) and
    Light marble cheese (1/3 cup).
    They taste amazing (well I think so) and for all four little pizza's it is 594 calories!